The Student Room Group

The Deceptively Non-Vegetarian Vegetarian Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Heinz "Taste of Home" Strawberry Jam Pudding

Why is it unsuitable? It contains insect material.
This might have already been posted, but Guiness and Fosters. My poor veggie boyfriend. :p:
Reply 102
Nuttygirl, Guinness was posted, but not Fosters - I assume Fosters uses the same fish-method as Guinness does?
Black Sheep (Cask, bottled is good)
Boddingtons
Fosters
Guinness
Hobgoblin (this one really annoyed me)
John Smiths
Kronenbourg
Old Speckled Hen
Stella
Tetleys

Not all of them, but those are the ones you see most often at pubs which are fined.
Original post by TotoMimo
Nuttygirl, Guinness was posted, but not Fosters - I assume Fosters uses the same fish-method as Guinness does?

Yeah, it does. I read through the thread after posting :colondollar:
Original post by Evil Monkey
Black Sheep (Cask, bottled is good)
Boddingtons
Fosters
Guinness
Hobgoblin (this one really annoyed me)
John Smiths
Kronenbourg
Old Speckled Hen
Stella
Tetleys

Not all of them, but those are the ones you see most often at pubs which are fined.

I thought stella was ok? :sad:
Original post by nuttygirl
I thought stella was ok? :sad:

http://www.enchant.me.uk/Vegetarian_beers.html

Wasn't last I heard, and this seems to agree. That said, a lot of people don't really care whether a beer is fined or not since its not large amounts and its not actually in the stuff you drink, it's left in the sediment in the cask.
woaaahhhhh shiiiiit soo many things ive just found out i wasnt supposed to be eating/drinking!!! oops!!!
Original post by Trigger
Get off your high horse love. We live in a society where we have a choice to eat how and what we please. Just because you are a militant veggie (who probably drinks milk and other milk products which actually causes the death of thousands of bull calves each year but eh, as long as we arent being picky :wink: ) doesn't give you the right to call someone else "disgusting". It is people and attitudes like yours that makes veggies and vegans come across as preachy and judgemental.

First of all I didn't call anyone "disgusting" - I said gelatine was disgusting, being made from what it is. I also didn't dispute the fact that everyone has a right to eat what they want.. obviously they do, surely everyone agrees with this? I just came to state my point the same as everyone else - I wasn't being nasty or personal, which you are now being to me. I'm totally not a "militant veggie" in the slightest. All of my friends, family and boyfriend eat meat and I don't have a problem with it, and I certainly have never tried to make them feel bad about it or try and make them change.

Anyway I actually don't drink milk, I buy soya milk, and I don't buy cheese, eggs, butter etc either. However I do eat cookies, pastries etc which contain small amounts of these. That's why I DON'T claim to be a vegan. Just like someone who deliberately eats dead animal bones can't really call themselves vegetarian.

I'm not just being picky or argumentative for no reason - it does actually make a difference because the lines get blurred and people get confused about what vegetarians can and can't eat - hence being offered fish or chicken as a veggie option, or a waitress telling a customer that the rocky road cake is suitable for veggies because their "vegetarian" friend eats it, so it must be.
Original post by Teao the Cat
The opposite way around, but chicken supernoodles ARE suitable for vegetarians...

Where did you read this? When I turned vegetarian I looked into it and I'm sure I found there is a flavouring from chicken in it (unless it's changed within the last few years actually - I haven't checked again).

I used to love them and have gone without for ages because I thought I couldn't eat them!

EDIT: The Tesco site marks the "sweet and sour" variety as vegetarian but none of the chicken varieties. Presumably the highly unhelpful "flavourings" listed on the ingredients list is sourced from chicken.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Trigger
She was being preachy. Some people call themselves veggies and still eat fish! You aren't in an exclusive club you know. This thread is proof that unless you google every shop bought brand of food and drink you consume you might be ingesting animal by products without even realising.

No, she was pointing out that they weren't vegetarian. By all means, they can eat gelatine, but by saying they are vegetarian it's a blatant lie (whether well intentioned or not). And as a vegetarian, I agree it can get irritating. Vegetarians don't eat meat or any other part of the animal - full stop. The people claiming they are vegetarian when they aren't just spread misconceptions to the point where people think vegetarians eat a whole manner of things that they actually don't. (Like my well-intentioned flatmate who (I don't know why!) has told pretty much everyone we've met in the last 6 months I'm vegetarian still asks me whether I eat fish etc.).

And no - you don't need to google every brand. Have you ever looked at a food packet? The vast majority have "V" signs on them indicating they are suitable for vegetarians (I can spot it within a second of picking it up - it's really not hard). And those that don't will have ingredients listed. Yes, the odd brand is ambiguous whether it's vegetarian or not, but the vast majority make it easy to find out with just a glance at the packet. Try it some day!
I don't wanna give up nutella :sad:

I may also stop drinking beer, or go for Carlsberg :sad:
Reply 112
JellyBean 91 and paperclip, it's pretty shocking some of the things that are deceptively unsuitable for vegetarians, right?

As for the "what defines a vegetarian" argument, I am not vegetarian so find it difficult to comment. But in my humble opinion, I believe that a vegetarian is someone who has decided to remove all meat products from their lives, and a vegan, someone who has removed all animal-derived products from their lives. This is obviously not a physical affliction, but rather a psychological restraint a person places upon themselves for whatever personal reason (and I see no problem with that), so if that vegetarian individual accidentally eats a Cornetto without realising it's unsuitable, they don't instantly stop "being" a vegetarian. But if they buy said Cornetto whilst knowing about the animal additives but think "to hell with it, it tastes nice", then that latter person is not really a vegetarian at all.

I would place that latter person in the category "picky eater", along with those infuriating individuals that say "I'm a vegetarian but eat chicken and fish and sometimes a burger but never anything else."
I would place that latter person in the category "picky eater", along with those infuriating individuals that say "I'm a vegetarian but eat chicken and fish and sometimes a burger but never anything else."

There is a big difference between someone who eats chicken, fish and burgers and someone who eats gelatine. The former has pretty much cut nothing out of their diet.

I would never turn up for dinner at someone's house and just tell them I'm a 'picky eater'. I would say 'vegetarian' then they know not to give me and meat or fish. Simple.
Reply 114
This artical has really shocked me :/ the more you read into this topic the more you find really shocking facts. There are about 50 E numbers alone which you have to be weary of because they can be sorced by more than one way!!!. Being vegetarian or vegan its an individual choice, and its kinda annoying when companies change their products ingredience its a good thing im into the habit of constantly reading labels.
Reply 115
Original post by hmjessop
There is a big difference between someone who eats chicken, fish and burgers and someone who eats gelatine. The former has pretty much cut nothing out of their diet.

I would never turn up for dinner at someone's house and just tell them I'm a 'picky eater'. I would say 'vegetarian' then they know not to give me and meat or fish. Simple.

Understandable for convenience's sake, but as vegetarianism is a label that you give yourself, ie an internal decision, you cannot personally give yourself that label if you consciously consume animal material.

Vegetarianism is a way of life filled with multiple changes in lifestyle and massive changes, as I'm aware. To say you are vegetarian whilst consciously eating animal material is adopting the label without the lifestyle. It'd be like saying you were "anorexic" when internally, you had no restrictive or compulsive behaviours, but rather were just really thin. You're not really anorexic, you're just thin. You're not adopting the behaviours or lifestyle psychologically related to the label.
Understandable for convenience's sake, but as vegetarianism is a label that you give yourself, ie an internal decision, you cannot personally give yourself that label if you consciously consume animal material.

Vegetarianism is a way of life filled with multiple changes in lifestyle and massive changes, as I'm aware. To say you are vegetarian whilst consciously eating animal material is adopting the label without the lifestyle. It'd be like saying you were "anorexic" when internally, you had no restrictive or compulsive behaviours, but rather were just really thin. You're not really anorexic, you're just thin. You're not adopting the behaviours or lifestyle psychologically related to the label.

I'm not a vegetarian for moral reasons though so I haven't internally labelled myself as a vegetarian who doesn't eat animal products. I made the decision to not eat meat or fish because I don't like it so I have made the decision to personally label myself as a vegetarian. Others can label me as whatever they want though...
Original post by hmjessop

Simple maybe, but not true. (Before I was vegetarian if I was cooking for someone who said they were, I'd have to go through all the hassle for checking for all these unexpected additives - I'd be a bit annoyed if it turned out you just didn't want to eat lumps of meat and I'd done all that for nothing).

I'm not telling you to change or anything, but I can't understand why you can't just say "I don't eat meat or fish". It would take 1 second longer and is actually correct?

In your scenario it wouldn't matter as they'd either already know about gelatine etc. and avoid it all, or they would be completely ignorant to it anyway - you're not adding confusion. It's when people say they are vegetarian and expand on it by saying "I can eat gelatine etc." when it starts to get annoying and confusing to others.
Original post by callum9999
Simple maybe, but not true. (Before I was vegetarian if I was cooking for someone who said they were, I'd have to go through all the hassle for checking for all these unexpected additives - I'd be a bit annoyed if it turned out you just didn't want to eat lumps of meat and I'd done all that for nothing).

Not everyone does that though. Sometimes you just have no idea if someone has been that fastidious or not - you simply don't know what you are eating. If someone has spent time preparing something for you, you can't just turn round and say no. So although I try not to eat animal products I can't just point blank cut them out of my diet.
Reply 119
Please don't take insult by this as I'm honestly not meaning to antagonise here, but it sounds to me as though you just like the "tag" of being "vegetarian" despite the fact you're not really "following the lifestyle" completely.

Like I said, just speculation. No offence.

Quick Reply

Latest