The Student Room Group

Learning German language: The German Learners' Society (MKII)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by kasten
Ich bin beileibe kein Physiker, googeln kann ich allerdings schon :wink:: Geschossbewegung?

Ja, das macht Sinn. Danke dafür! Selbst Wikipedia weiß nichts darüber.
hi Kallisto,

I'd say the topic is ballistics.

I found 'trajectory' and had to look up the German word for it, which is Trajektorie, by the way, but I never stumbled over that one before.
(edited 11 years ago)
Am Ehesten noch "Flugbahn".
What do the prefixes 'zu' and 'ver' do to a word? Because I'm trying to understand the meaning of words without always having to go to a dictionary.

Gleichen means 'to resemble'
im Vergleich zu means 'in comparison to' and I read the word 'zugleich' and I couldn't deduce what it meant (now I know it means 'likewise' or something like that.
Original post by chickenonsteroids
What do the prefixes 'zu' and 'ver' do to a word? Because I'm trying to understand the meaning of words without always having to go to a dictionary.

Gleichen means 'to resemble'
im Vergleich zu means 'in comparison to' and I read the word 'zugleich' and I couldn't deduce what it meant (now I know it means 'likewise' or something like that.

hi chickenonsteroids,

there is no principle behind those prefixes. Sometimes it expresses an opposite
meaning: lernen - verlernen (learn - unlearn)
or something gone wrong: hören - verhören (hear - mishear)
sometimes it creates a new meaning: stehen - verstehen (stand - understand)
hey that's curious

'zugleich' means at the same time
Reply 4225
Hey everyone,

I'm so confused with dual case prepositions. I know that for movement you use accusative and for things were there is no movement you use dative.

But what about sentences like, 'I took part in a debate' would it be, 'Ich habe in einer Debatte teilgenommen.' or would it be, 'Ich habe in eine Debatte teilgenommen.'

Please help!
Original post by kiwicake
Hey everyone,

I'm so confused with dual case prepositions. I know that for movement you use accusative and for things were there is no movement you use dative.

But what about sentences like, 'I took part in a debate' would it be, 'Ich habe in einer Debatte teilgenommen.' or would it be, 'Ich habe in eine Debatte teilgenommen.'

Please help!

'in' takes the dative (usually) so it'd be 'einer' I believe.
Reply 4227
Original post by chickenonsteroids
'in' takes the dative (usually) so it'd be 'einer' I believe.

Thank you :smile:
Reply 4228
Hey everyone,

Please help!

Neither :wink: It would be "Ich habe an einer Debatte teilgenommen". Man nimmt an etwas (immer Dativ) teil :smile:
Original post by Sir Fox
"Hören auf etw." means to take someone's advise whilst "zuhören" just means the process of listening to someone/something. So you could first listen to your grandfather (ihm zuhören) and finally decide to take his advise, i.e. auf ihn hören. Another example: Kinder sollten besser auf ihre Eltern hören = Children should better take their parents' advise/orders.

In fact the two examples you gave (Hör mir doch mal zu and Hör auf dein Herz) are fairly difficult as the first one could mean both, either he/she barely wants you to listen to him/her or also wants you to take some advise, totally depends on what he/she is saying. If he/she is telling a story and you are constantly interrupting or listening to something else he/she just wants to make you stay attentive and listen to him/her without seeking to give any advise, whilst a parent talking to a child could also mean that in a way that the child should do both, listen attentively and finally take the advise.

Hope this helped :wink:

Made beautiful sense, thank you!
Reply 4230
Original post by kasten
Neither :wink: It would be "Ich habe an einer Debatte teilgenommen". Man nimmt an etwas (immer Dativ) teil :smile:

Thank you!

Are there certain times when you would use 'an' instead of 'in'?
(edited 11 years ago)
Thank you!

Are there certain times when you would use 'an' instead of 'in'?

You'll find that a lot of verbs have prepositions they go with.
Reply 4232
Could someone explain this to me? In the sentence: Das hättest du dir sparen können! ...why the 'dir' as well as the 'du?'
Original post by lolo66
Could someone explain this to me? In the sentence: Das hättest du dir sparen können! ...why the 'dir' as well as the 'du?'

it's an idiom. 'sich etwas sparen können' it means that something was unnecessary or even inappropriate.
das kann ich mir sparen, das kannst du dir sparen, er sich, wir uns etc.

Er hat sich bereits entschieden, du kannst dir die Worte sparen.
Das zu sagen war echt gemein, das hättest du dir ruhig sparen können!
Meine schriftliche Deutsch-Prüfung war total schwer! Wie sagt man "**** my life" auf Deutsch? :p:
Meine zweite Prüfung war sehr sehr einfach. Mir sowieso :tongue: Wenn eine letzte Prüfung ich gemacht habe, ich werde nach Deutschland fahren! :woop:
(edited 11 years ago)
Original post by xmarilynx
Meine schriftliche Deutsch-Prüfung war total schwer! Wie sagt man "**** my life" auf Deutsch? :p:

Wie wäre es mit den beiden Möglichkeiten "scheißegal" oder "drauf geschissen"?
Original post by xmarilynx

"Himmiherrgottzaggramentzefixallelujamilextamarschscheissglumpverregtz"
Original post by grizzlybär

:rofl:
Original post by grizzlybär

Das hört sich ganz nach einem bayrischen Gefluche an...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending