The Student Room Group

Learning German language: The German Learners' Society (MKII)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by .snowflake.
hope you do get to go back. I'd like to go back and staying there for a long time would be lovely. doubt my german would ever be good enough to hold down a job as a chemist there though :/

If I know I can survive money wise out there then I'll go back.
Don't doubt yourself, you can achieve it if you set your mind to it :smile:
what would be the best way to translate this sentence into german...

The house rules are as follows, there is no smoking allowed

thankssss
Original post by JakeE10
what would be the best way to translate this sentence into german...

The house rules are as follows, there is no smoking allowed

thankssss

Die Hausregeln sind folgende: Das Rauchen ist nicht gestattet.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/console/b0174h5t

This is BRILLIANT, so interesting, very pro-Germany and also quite romantic :') Don't see much exploring the relationships between Britons and Germans in a modern light and this is so good!
I felt like a boss in German today

although I've noticed a strange problem ... I finally know what to say in English change it to German but I just don't say it because I forget half of what I want to say :frown:
Original post by chickenonsteroids

although I've noticed a strange problem ... I finally know what to say in English change it to German but I just don't say it because I forget half of what I want to say :frown:

got one of my essays back this morning B+, but my accuracy is getting better. RESULT!
got one of my essays back this morning B+, but my accuracy is getting better. RESULT!

That's great :biggrin: practice makes perfect :smile: i'm doing a group oral on friday on marriage :tongue:
I did a German listening mock with the Year 11s today (I'm in Year 10) :biggrin: It was pretty easy, compared to the past papers I was given to do. GCSEs do seem to be getting dumbed down. Not that I'm complaining :tongue:

Once you start thinking in German this won't be a problem :wink:
Original post by hannah_dru
Once you start thinking in German this won't be a problem :wink:

if that happens i think i'll be unstoppable :tongue:
if that happens i think i'll be unstoppable :tongue:

I should warn you it makes you speak in German randomly :tongue:
Original post by hannah_dru
I should warn you it makes you speak in German randomly :tongue:

I do that all the time :colonhash:

Thankfully it's mostly just to myself.
Original post by MangoFreak
I did a German listening mock with the Year 11s today (I'm in Year 10) :biggrin: It was pretty easy, compared to the past papers I was given to do. GCSEs do seem to be getting dumbed down. Not that I'm complaining :tongue:

I always found listening at GCSe really easy. It was the speaking I found, and still find difficult. I get far too nervous before them, so my brain derps out half way through.
Reply 1793
Original post by jakemittle
Ich biege in die Strasse ein
Ich biege in die Strasse ab

Kann Jemand bitte mir erklaeren, was der Unterschied zwischen einbiegen und abbiegen ist? :smile:..danke!

garkeiner ..........ist absolut Käse was du verwändest......
I always found listening at GCSe really easy. It was the speaking I found, and still find difficult. I get far too nervous before them, so my brain derps out half way through.

I never get any listening or speaking practise. I mean, I ramble to my family in German, but it's not the same as actually talking, lol.
I never get any listening or speaking practise. I mean, I ramble to my family in German, but it's not the same as actually talking, lol.

same with the speaking. then mum moans that she's never heard me speak it.
thats because I've no one at home to speak it with! I'm seriously expecting the essay i handed in this morning about environmental pressure groups to not get me a very good mark tbqh.
same with the speaking. then mum moans that she's never heard me speak it.
thats because I've no one at home to speak it with! I'm seriously expecting the essay i handed in this morning about environmental pressure groups to not get me a very good mark tbqh.

My mum says she's trying to learn, but she's not very good :biggrin: :redface:
I do that all the time :colonhash:

Thankfully it's mostly just to myself.

Same :biggrin: Although I have randomly started saying the odd thing to people in the office building or in the supermarket.
Reply 1798

Der Einzige, mit dem ich heutzutage überhaupt noch auf Deutsch rede, bin ich selbst :colondollar: Das bringt tatsächlich was (jedenfalls mehr, als wenn man so gar nicht zum Üben kommt), aber da muss man auch höllisch aufpassen, denn es ist (wenigstens für mich) zu einer Art zweiter Natur geworden, bei jeder Gelegenheit, wo ich alleine bin, mein gesprochenes Deutsch zu üben, und ich ertappe mich häufig dabei, wie ich buchstäblich auf offener Straße in eine rege deutschsprachige Debatte mit mir selber verwickelt werde. Da kassiere ich mitunter einige wirklich sehr schräge Blicke ein, wenn sich herausstellt, dass es doch so manche Fußgänger in Hörweite gab :wink:
Original post by kasten
Der Einzige, mit dem ich heutzutage überhaupt noch auf Deutsch rede, bin ich selbst :colondollar: Das bringt tatsächlich was (jedenfalls mehr, als wenn man so gar nicht zum Üben kommt), aber da muss man auch höllisch aufpassen, denn es ist (wenigstens für mich) zu einer Art zweiter Natur geworden, bei jeder Gelegenheit, wo ich alleine bin, mein gesprochenes Deutsch zu üben, und ich ertappe mich häufig dabei, wie ich buchstäblich auf offener Straße in eine rege deutschsprachige Debatte mit mir selber verwickelt werde. Da kassiere ich mitunter einige wirklich sehr schräge Blicke ein, wenn sich herausstellt, dass es doch so manche Fußgänger in Hörweite gab :wink:

Hallo Kasten,

mit sich selbst 'rege, deutschsprachige Debatte[n]' zu führen bringt ganz bestimmt was, dein Deutsch ist perfekt, einschließlich der Zeichensetzung. Nur das 'wo' würde ich ersetzen durch 'in der' (bei jeder Gelegenheit , in der ich alleine bin) und das 'selber' durch 'selbst'
'selber' ist eher umgangssprachlich, ich benutze es im Alltag selber (:wink:) oft genug, aber wenn ich darauf achte, benutze ich 'selbst'. Es sei denn es könnte zu Missverständnissen kommen mit der zweiten Bedeutung von 'selbst', die da wäre
'selbst' im Sinne von 'sogar'.
Und was das Kassieren von schrägen Blicken angeht, das kenn ich, I get those sometimes, when I'm mumbling to myself in English.
Es ist doch in Ordnung, dass ich die zwei klitzekleinen Dinge erwähnt habe, auch wenn es ja noch nicht mal wirklich falsch ist, oder? Wenn nicht, tu ich's nie wieder, versprochen.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending