The Student Room Group

New UEFA competition

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by yunghamz

Original post by yunghamz
Right....ok then.

Well then, a team at most would have 3 strikers. Where would RVP fit in with Ronaldo and Messi?
im sorry...

but it will be like a pre season friendlies...many players will be rested and not played in fear of injuries and keen to keep fresh for actuall tournaments such as champions league, premiership, which in terms of money and status will always be more important than what you suggested. Plus internationals which players play for, and this causes enough problems with club and international managers already, which will only add to the problem.

and there is pretty much what you mentioned already, international football, e.g. england v spain, and also club european football e.g. united vs barca, so its almost covered. and theres group stages in europe so there are plenty of games in the season.

however the president of real madrid suggested something similar a few years ago where he would like to see clubs like united, milans, madrid playing more regularly with each other.
Reply 42
Original post by Mess.
Well then, a team at most would have 3 strikers. Where would RVP fit in with Ronaldo and Messi?

Lol, i don't remmeber arguing against you're point :s-smilie:. But i just think RVP would definitely make that squad, personal opinions decide whether he makes the starting 11 or not.
Reply 43
I have an idea to make European qualifiers a bit more interesting:

Divide Europe into different regions, so that neighbouring nations battle it out for a place at the European Championships. Perhaps even ditch the groups altogether and make it home and away fixtures in a knockout (possibly with a qualifier for the losing finalist, or even two consecutive finals to be played, numbers depending).

A possible region could be Atlantic Europe - ROI, NI, Wales, Eng, Scot, Faroes, Iceland...

+ more exciting format
+ makes for a more passionate affair
+ no ghastly fixtures and long trips for the team and fans
+ it's a lot different to the WC qualifying format, which is similar to the present EC one
Reply 44
Original post by Louis.
I'd support it just to see La Liga's team.

Casillas
Ramos, Pepe, Pique, Alves
Xavi, Alonso, Iniesta
Messi, Villa, Ronaldo

:teeth:

ahahahah

Original post by Vintage
Schwarzer
Carragher Vidic Terry A.Cole
Nani Tiote Fabregas Bale
Modric
Tevez

Bench:
VDS
VDV
RVP
Carroll
Rooney
Rio Ferd
Kompany
David Silva
Nasri
Berbatov

:coma:

What is it with people choosing ridiculous right backs?

Not that I don't like Jimmy, but I was a fan when Liverpool won the CL. In 2005!
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 45
Original post by kingkev
Fabregas. I assume your not talking just English players.

You do realise that Fabregas was not even first choice at the World Cup. So how would he get into the la liga side (starting position I mean)?
Reply 46
Original post by Fusion
I have an idea to make European qualifiers a bit more interesting:

Divide Europe into different regions, so that neighbouring nations battle it out for a place at the European Championships. Perhaps even ditch the groups altogether and make it home and away fixtures in a knockout (possibly with a qualifier for the losing finalist, or even two consecutive finals to be played, numbers depending).

A possible region could be Atlantic Europe - ROI, NI, Wales, Eng, Scot, Faroes, Iceland...

+ more exciting format
+ makes for a more passionate affair
+ no ghastly fixtures and long trips for the team and fans
+ it's a lot different to the WC qualifying format, which is similar to the present EC one

You mean so that England won't fail to qualify like in 2008 again?

And have Portugal Spain, France, and Italy as the Mediterranean?

Right.
Reply 47
Come on stop busting Fabregas' chops people, the guy's 23 and has won 50+ caps for Spain albeit most of them coming off the bench. He did setup the winning goal to win them the world cup. Barca don't want him bad for no reason.
Reply 48
Original post by danny111
You mean so that England won't fail to qualify like in 2008 again?

And have Portugal Spain, France, and Italy as the Mediterranean?

Right.

A 'Med' region could be : Spain, Portugal, Andorra, Malta, San Marino, Italy, Cyprus, Israel......doesn't sound too skewed to me.
Reply 49
Original post by Fusion
A 'Med' region could be : Spain, Portugal, Andorra, Malta, San Marino, Italy, Cyprus, Israel......doesn't sound too skewed to me.

Spain Portugal and Italy.

Also how can you leave France out there? It borders both Spain and Italy along the Med coast!!!!
Reply 50
Spain Portugal and Italy.

Also how can you leave France out there? It borders both Spain and Italy along the Med coast!!!!

I wouldn't use the terms 'Med/Atlantic' in any formal manner, but something along those lines as a guideline. But yes, regions would need to be decided taking into account seedings, to a sensible extent, and perhaps other criteria like numbers. Because of micro states, and the density of Europe, it certaintly wouldn't be that implausible to divide Europe into regions, in a pragmatic way.
Reply 51
Was thinking about this when watching NBA all star weekend.
Reply 52
I don´t think we would be seeing anything great in this competition. All the teams would essentially be comprised of 2 or three teams which dominate their country.

England: ManU, Arsenal,Chelsea (maybe someone exceptional like Bale)
Spain: Barcelona, Real Madrid
Italy: AC Milan, Inter
Germany: Bayern,Dortmund,Schalke

The premiere league probably has the most potential for a diverse team, because there are a number of top teams, but the others would just be boring.
Reply 53
**** that. Bring back the Inter-City Fairs Cup.
Reply 54
Original post by Catilina
I don´t think we would be seeing anything great in this competition. All the teams would essentially be comprised of 2 or three teams which dominate their country.

England: ManU, Arsenal,Chelsea (maybe someone exceptional like Bale)
Spain: Barcelona, Real Madrid
Italy: AC Milan, Inter
Germany: Bayern,Dortmund,Schalke

The premiere league probably has the most potential for a diverse team, because there are a number of top teams, but the others would just be boring.

Well that would be expected; if they're better teams, they'd have better representation in the XI.

I think the main issue would be voting for the XI; how the voting system works, who would vote and what you're actually voting for; i.e would it be who you think the best players are, or who you thought had the best season? If it's the latter, I'm pretty sure there would be a greater diversity of teams. Only country where there would be complete domination of 2 teams is Spain (except for the left-back position).
Reply 55
A battle of the continents would be more interesting than this.
Reply 56

What is it with people choosing ridiculous right backs?

Not that I don't like Jimmy, but I was a fan when Liverpool won the CL. In 2005!

Couldn't really think of a better Right back.... It was either Carragher or Danny Simpson :confused:

Maybe Micah Richards.....

Who would you choose?
Reply 57
What would solve the top club domination of players.. If it was a problem. Was to say a 24-26 man squad had to have one player from every team in the top league!

Would make it far more interesting... What would your squad be then?
Reply 58
Original post by Vintage

Original post by Vintage
What would solve the top club domination of players.. If it was a problem. Was to say a 24-26 man squad had to have one player from every team in the top league!

Much more interesting :yep:

Would like to see a squad with one player from each team :sogood:
Reply 59
Original post by Vintage

Would make it far more complicated; it's a bivariate problem because you have to ensure a player from every team is in the 24-26 man squad, as well as ensuring every position is filled.

There would be too many dilemmas. E.g. say the 24-26 man squad doesn't have representation from all teams. How would you get a player from a poorer team into the 24-26 squad? Would you just choose the best player and replace them with someone else? Or would you do some complicated analysis which would replace a player who's at the closest level to someone else in a certain position.

(I know you didn't want a srs bsns response but I have nothing to do until 12 so I want an argument)

Quick Reply

Latest