The Student Room Group

Advice from current/past mature students

Hi all,

29 year old university newbie here! I have a question regarding the acceptance/rejection process for a mature student. I completed my A-Levels back in 2012 and don’t meet the current grades the course requires. I do however, have 5 years direct experience in the field of my prospective degree. It will obviously be up to the university and I will email them separately as to whether this is something they would consider.
I was hoping someone could shed some light on how it works when you are not awaiting A-Level results. Do you still wait until August to find out whether you have been accepted or is the decision expedited due to them having all the information needed?

Any information/tips on the process as a whole would be greatly appreciated!!

Thank you in advance!
(edited 5 months ago)
Reply 1
Original post by Sops.tay
Hi all,

29 year old university newbie here! I have a question regarding the acceptance/rejection process for a mature student. I completed my A-Levels back in 2012 and don’t meet the current grades the course requires. I do however, have 5 years direct experience in the field of my prospective degree. It will obviously be up to the university and I will email them separately as to whether this is something they would consider.
I was hoping someone could shed some light on how it works when you are not awaiting A-Level results. Do you still wait until August to find out whether you have been accepted or is the decision expedited due to them having all the information needed?

Any information/tips on the process as a whole would be greatly appreciated!!

Thank you in advance!

My advice would be to email the admissions teams of the universities you are interested in and ask them. Anecdotally, I would say the more competitive the University / course, the more likely they are going to want to see evidence of recent study.

The good news is that you can complete an Access to Higher Education Diploma in a variety of subjects that will give you A-level equivalency grades. This will allow you to apply "traditionally". The Diploma takes a year to complete (online, you could complete it much sooner - I think I did mine in 6 months). If you study at certain institutions, the cost also is refundable if you attend university.

As a note - I too had a lot of experience in the field I wanted to study. The universities, for a better word, didn't really care. But, then again, I was applying to courses that were rather competitive, so it was understandable.
Reply 2
Hi,

A friend of mine went through similar a few years ago.

As she could not show evidence of recent study within the last 5 years, she had to do an Access Course to HE to get A-level equivalency. She was applying to a Russell Group, so very competitive. Her experiences didn't matter to the university. She went down the usual route of applying and was offered a conditional offer depending on her results. The uni wanted 45 credits at distinction which she achieved, and was offered a place around June/July I think as she had to show the certification of her results - she applied in November, of the year prior.

I would suggest to contact the university and see what they can advise. You may not have to do the Access course depending on the uni you're applying to, how competitive entry is to the uni in general, and the course.

All the best! Good luck 🙂
Reply 3
Original post by DCDCo
My advice would be to email the admissions teams of the universities you are interested in and ask them. Anecdotally, I would say the more competitive the University / course, the more likely they are going to want to see evidence of recent study.

The good news is that you can complete an Access to Higher Education Diploma in a variety of subjects that will give you A-level equivalency grades. This will allow you to apply
Reply 4
Thank you all so much! I didn’t realise there could be a hurdle in regards to recent study. I’ll contact the admissions team and see what they say!
Reply 5
Original post by DCDCo

The good news is that you can complete an Access to Higher Education Diploma in a variety of subjects that will give you A-level equivalency grades. This will allow you to apply

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending