The Student Room Group

BBC3 - Junior Doctors: Your Life In Their Hands

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Renal
You have no idea what my work involves, you could barely describe half of what I do and even then you'd struggle to explain what that means. You don't understand this and yet you're judging me and my work. And that's why I hate you.

I didn't judge the doctors work, I judge the doctors, just like anyother people!

I guess this kind of misunderstanding comes with every profession. Except medics are probably more annoyed it because they are under lots of pressure and stuff.

Most people when they are talking about how nice a doctor is, they are probably refering to patient contact and communication. Which they've first hand experience of. Nothing else!

Are you feeling underappreciated?
Original post by Ree-Ree-Real:p
Lucy annoys me when she keeps crying. She needs to toughen up, in my opinion, she can't carry on like this. :tongue: But, her cakes do look delicious. :wink: I baked a cake today. :biggrin:

Yeah, I think Kathryn will definitely improve.

Adam, Aah. When he's driving his car, he's such a show-off! :biggrin:

I think she is letting it all out now, for all the deaths in the future!

Adam yeah!
Original post by Destroyviruses
I didn't judge the doctors work, I judge the doctors, just like anyother people!

I guess this kind of misunderstanding comes with every profession. Except medics are probably more annoyed it because they are under lots of pressure and stuff.

Most people when they are talking about how nice a doctor is, they are probably refering to patient contact and communication. Which they've first hand experience of. Nothing else!

Are you feeling underappreciated?

Erm, you were posting about who you thought was a better doctor. Not nicer.
I predict that the next series will be in 5 years time and will star Dr Beska.
Original post by Helenia
Erm, you were posting about who you thought was a better doctor. Not nicer.

Well, better in terms of patient care obviously we don't know about anything else. I don't know the correct procedure for taking bloods or reading x-rays. So how can I know who's best at stuff like that.

So like if a doctor sounds nice and friendly and listens to the patient and is smiley and looks confident then thats better for us non-medics!
Bit late to this discussion but I enjoyed the program and have seen a couple of others like it.

Fair play to anyone who is a Dr in a hospital. Couldn't pay me enough to do it quite frankly (and they no doubt already get paid more than I do!)

--

Have to say from my own personal visits to the hospital for a knee injury which has involved about 7 visits and on those I have seen 5 different registrars and 1 consultant (x2) - I have been largely unimpressed with the younger looking registrars - on my last visit one got very tetchy and we almost had an argument, the consultant had to come in and calm him things down. All because the registrar had poor people skills (IMO).
Well, better in terms of patient care obviously we don't know about anything else. I don't know the correct procedure for taking bloods or reading x-rays. So how can I know who's best at stuff like that.

So like if a doctor sounds nice and friendly and listens to the patient and is smiley and looks confident then thats better for us non-medics!

If you don't know anything about the actual job, though, then you don't really have any objective measure by which to judge who is the "better" doctor, do you?
I think she is letting it all out now, for all the deaths in the future!

Adam yeah!

To be honest though, you see how I'm criticising her now, I'm an aspiring medic - I'LL PROBABLY BE LIKE HER. Better start toughening up now, before I get called a hypocrite. :tongue: lol.
Original post by *pitseleh*
If you don't know anything about the actual job, though, then you don't really have any objective measure by which to judge who is the "better" doctor, do you?

Again, better in terms of patient care, yes we do! Saying better in terms of patient care is abit of a mouthful, it's pretty obvious to non-medics that you are not talking about the behind the scene side of being a doctor so.

When we say better doctor we dont mean better doctor , we just mean the better at patient care doctor!

Seriously!

Good job real life doctors arent as sensitive as you lot! :rolleyes:
Going to miss this programme! On a brighter note, roll on the next 4 years until FY1 !! :biggrin:
To be honest though, you see how I'm criticising her now, I'm an aspiring medic - I'LL PROBABLY BE LIKE HER. Better start toughening up now, before I get called a hypocrite. :tongue: lol.

I'm don't get why people would cry because of death. But like if I saw someone cry alot I might end up crying but I dont understand why people are so sensitive about death.

If a person was under going alot of pain I'd be more upset about that.
Again, better in terms of patient care, yes we do! Saying better in terms of patient care is abit of a mouthful, it's pretty obvious to non-medics that you are not talking about the behind the scene side of being a doctor so.

When we say better doctor we dont mean better doctor , we just mean the better at patient care doctor!

Seriously!

Good job real life doctors arent as sensitive as you lot! :rolleyes:

Please re-read my previous post and note the word "objective".

It's not sensitivity; it's frustration at words like "better" being bandied around as if your opinions about patient care are anything other than subjective.

EDIT: I might also point out that a couple of the people you've been arguing with actually are "real life doctors", as you put it.
(edited 13 years ago)
Please re-read my previous post and note the word "objective".

It's not sensitivity; it's frustration at words like "better" being bandied around as if your opinions about patient care are anything other than subjective.

How do you subjectively say you think a doctor is better at talking to patients? Of course it's subjective! All opinions are!

By real-life I meant the ones I've met in real life. I know some of them are doctors but I've only once encountered attitudes like these in a doctor!
(edited 13 years ago)
I'm don't get why people would cry because of death. But like if I saw someone cry alot I might end up crying but I dont understand why people are so sensitive about death.

If a person was under going alot of pain I'd be more upset about that.

I think it's more of the realisation that the patient won't be able to live like normal. You know, have dinner, talk to her/his friends/family etc. She keeps saying 'she has a daughter and a granddaughter' etc. I think so. I haven't experienced a close family member/friend dying so I don't know. But, I think that's why.
How do you subjectively say you think a doctor is better at talking to patients? Of course it's subjective! All opinions are!

By real-life I meant the ones I've met in real life. I know some of them are doctors but I've only once encountered attitudes like these in a doctor!

The point you were originally responding to was about who was the "best" doctor. Not about who seemed nicer/who had a more pleasant bedside manner as far as you were concerned.

That sort of talk is going to wind people up. That's all.

And since I doubt you go ranking medical staff aloud based on your feelings about their personalities, it's little wonder you've not encountered that kind of annoyance in doctors you've met.
The point you were originally responding to was about who was the "best" doctor. Not about who seemed nicer/who had a more pleasant bedside manner as far as you were concerned.

That sort of talk is going to wind people up. That's all.

And since I doubt you go ranking medical staff aloud based on your feelings about their personalities, it's little wonder you've not encountered that kind of annoyance in doctors you've met.

I thought it was pretty much implied! I don't see why people should be wound up by such a little thing!I'm not making a court statement! I'd have thought being doctors,they'd be used to practicing lots of tolerance.

I think even if I did, they wouldn't get as defensive as these guys. Rather they'd question as to why one thinks so. They were a lovely bunch, they thought I was abit loud and weird though. And said they weren't going to miss me!

Oh wait I did question the unnecessary precense of an F1 and he just laughed. He didnt start getting all neurotic and lecture me about all the jobs he does that I don't know about.
(edited 13 years ago)
I think it's more of the realisation that the patient won't be able to live like normal. You know, have dinner, talk to her/his friends/family etc. She keeps saying 'she has a daughter and a granddaughter' etc. I think so. I haven't experienced a close family member/friend dying so I don't know. But, I think that's why.

I havent been bereaved either. Alot of the time I have a "meh, whats so good about life anyway, they're not missing much" attitude!
I thought it was pretty much implied! I don't see why people should be wound up by such a little thing!I'm not making a court statement! I'd have thought being doctors,they'd be used to practicing lots of tolerance.

Well, I guess you know now...
Well, I guess you know now...

Only on TSR!
Aye, but then that's just selective editing under another guise, isn't it?

Glamourising a particular hospital department/making 'TV personalities' out of hospital workers - I'm not really sure either is any more beneficial to the viewer who wants to make his/her own mind up, to be honest.

Sure, whether it is post or pre production editing it is necessary to make any medical programme interesting, you said so yourself. I meant post-production editing that annoyed me about this type of programme and others non-medically related.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending