The Student Room Group

Firm & insurance choices for Computer Science with Business

I've just got my 5th offer from Edinburgh and wanted you to advise me in choosing my firm and insurance choice. Basically, I want to study Computer Science with Management/Business. I don't want to do pure CS simply because I don't want to spend my whole life coding in front of the LCD screen. I believe that Business will let me to do something more interesting than that. Here are my offers ( I am doing IB) :

1) UCL - Information Management for Business 34pts
2) Edinburgh - CS with Business 35pts / 5 in maths HL
3) Warwick - CS with Business 36pts/ 5 in maths HL
4) Birmingham - CS with Business 34pts / 6 in maths HL
5) Manchester - CS with Business 35pts / 6 in maths HL

I am taking mostly UCL and Edin into account.
UCL

+Great uni, very recognized and respected
+Nice degree, combines both IT and Business
+London offers loads of possibilities

-London is very expensive
-There is not as much IT as I would expect
-I am afraid "information management for business" might be considered as a mickey mouse course

EDINBURGH

+There are no tuition fees
+Edinburgh is cheaper than London
+Edinburgh is not that congested

-Weather
-Higher offer
-Edin is less prestigious than UCL

Well, if I make UCL my firm choice then there's actually no point in making any other uni my insurance as all the other offers are higher. Maybe I should also once again consider my other offers? I heard that Warwick is a pretty good uni as well, but as far as I know it is in the middle of nowhere.

Last but not least, I applied to the University Of Hong Kong (HKU) and was given a conditional offer - 36pts /6 in maths HL/ 6 in physics SL. Additionally if I meet their offer, they will provide me with an entrance scholarship of about 7,000pounds. As always there are strings attached listed below:

HKU

+HKU is very prestigious
+Hong Kong would be a great, new experience
+I would be given an opportunity to learn Chinese with the natives
+Life would be much cheaper than in the UK
+I believe studying at HKU would be a great advantage in getting a well-paid and interesting job later on

-Offer that is really hard to meet
-Tuition fees are still very high
-Numerous formalities
-Even though English is an official language, some people don't know it (taxi, shops etc) or speak it very poorly
-I need to pay about 1.500pounds deposit within 10days from now on which is not refundable if I resign from the course
-I applied for a pure CS degree as there was no combined course. If I manage to meet my offer then I can apply for the Business course but don't have any kind guarantee that I will be admitted. Again, I don't want to end up coding for the rest of my life.
-CS in HK will be undoubtedly a very rigorous and tough course with all those chinese kids. I am afraid I won't be able to handle that or will have to study day and night and will have no life (just like IB..).

Any comments and advices would be appreciated.
What kind of jobs do you imagine yourself doing after graduation? If you plan to be a business-typey person, then got to UCL. I know someone who did business at Kingston who got into a very respected grad programme, so mickey mouse or not, business degrees are not necessarily a dead end.

If you want to be in IT, then Edinburgh, as a CS degree from there is highly respected.
Reply 2
Thanks for the reply. I am actually still not sure where I see myself in the future. IT is my hobby and I like it a lot but I really can't imagine myself spending my whole in front of a computer. I guess I want to work in a IT related company but not as a programmer but someone deciding about strategy, future investments or simply an executive :biggrin: Maybe in the very distant future I will be eager to run my own company. These are just my thoughts and speculations.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 3
Topic up. Since I have to either pay 1000punds or reject HKU within 5 days, any more advices would be appreciated.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending