The Student Room Group

Bristol vs. Warwick

Hey guys,

I'm hoping to finalise my decisions via UCAS soon, but finding it hard to choose between Bristol and Warwick for Computer Science.

Bristol have offered me AAA for the 4 year MEng course, and Warwick have offered me AAA for the 3 year BSc.

I'm quite heavily swaying towards Bristol for a number of reasons, but the idea of dismissing Warwick doesn't sit well in my mind.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!
Original post by BBarash
Hey guys,

I'm hoping to finalise my decisions via UCAS soon, but finding it hard to choose between Bristol and Warwick for Computer Science.

Bristol have offered me AAA for the 4 year MEng course, and Warwick have offered me AAA for the 3 year BSc.

I'm quite heavily swaying towards Bristol for a number of reasons, but the idea of dismissing Warwick doesn't sit well in my mind.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

Pick Bristol!!! :woo:
1) MEng is a masters so you're getting a masters degree instead of a standard bachelors. It's one year extra but you'll gain a lot of useful skills.
2) Bristol; the place is amazing + awesome night life.
3) The course for Bristol is simply perfect! I couldn't fault a single thing right up to the final year.

Its your choice at the end of the day but I'm biased so I'd pick Bristol :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by BBarash
Hey guys,

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance!

I'm pretty positive you can switch between the Bsc and MEng programs easily in Warwick as they have the same 1st/2nd year.

From what I can tell they seem to be equally reputable for CompSci(ignore this Bristol's better), although the degree modules you'd prefer are always important too. Personally I'd go for Warwick because of its more modern campus/international environment. (EDIT: Actually, no I wouldn't. See latest posts)
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Dreizhen
I'm pretty positive you can switch between the Bsc and MEng programs easily in Warwick as they have the same 1st/2nd year.

From what I can tell they seem to be equally reputable for CompSci, although the degree modules you'd prefer are always important too. Personally I'd go for Warwick because of its more modern campus/international environment.

I sense nikita's input is slightly biased :tongue:. But her points are valid. :smile:

Though you can't go wrong with any of the two choices, I'll just inform you that indeed in Warwick you can just transfer at the end of the second year and complete the MEng in Computer Science. I'm seeing this from the CS prospectus I have in front of me right now :biggrin:.

As for course reputation, I think Bristol's CS department is *slightly* more reputable, but not by a great deal.

Other than that, consider were would you rather live for the next years, as they are two completely different enviroments. It may be a major factor for you. :smile:
Original post by alexmsf
I sense nikita's input is slightly biased :tongue:. But her points are valid. :smile:

Though you can't go wrong with any of the two choices, I'll just inform you that indeed in Warwick you can just transfer at the end of the second year and complete the MEng in Computer Science. I'm seeing this from the CS prospectus I have in front of me right now :biggrin:.

As for course reputation, I think Bristol's CS department is *slightly* more reputable, but not by a great deal.

Other than that, consider were would you rather live for the next years, as they are two completely different enviroments. It may be a major factor for you. :smile:

Bristol is ranked quite a lot higher than Warwick for CS :wink:
And, if OP wants to pull, then Bristol is better than Warwick :wink: :wink:
Reply 5
Original post by nikita_atikin

Well, if we wanted to compare Bristol is definitely Top 10, but Warwick is also often in the top 10, or in some cases top 15-20. I agree that Bristol is indeed ranked higher for CS.

Also, the double winky at the end of your second sentence combined with your signature may be perceived in a really wrong way :redface:.
Original post by alexmsf
Well, if we wanted to compare Bristol is definitely Top 10, but Warwick is also often in the top 10, or in some cases top 15-20. I agree that Bristol is indeed ranked higher for CS.

Also, the double winky at the end of your second sentence combined with your signature may be perceived in a really wrong way :redface:.

Lolsa I didn't mean OP can pull me if that's what you're insinuating :ninja:
Reply 7

mumble grumble
mumble grumble

True though :tongue:
Reply 9
True though :tongue:

I'm still going Warwick okay :frown:
I'm still going Warwick okay :frown:

It's not a bad university if you thought that's what I meant :s-smilie: It's just not as nice as Bristol :tongue:
Reply 11
It's not a bad university if you thought that's what I meant :s-smilie: It's just not as nice as Bristol :tongue:

I get you, it's just RANKINGS and all that are getting to me even though I know they shouldn't REALLY matter as long as I'm not going below idk Top 30.

It's a tough life...
Reply 12
I dismissed Warwick and went to Bristol because I heard the area was boring. Look where I live now!
Reply 13
Can I just say having finally been to Warwick please please please choose Bristol
Reply 14
I mean I feel physically sick just thinking of the hellhole I merely visited for like 6 hours. I can't get these images out of my head and as a result think I am going mad >;\
I mean I feel physically sick just thinking of the hellhole I merely visited for like 6 hours. I can't get these images out of my head and as a result think I am going mad >;\

Lolsa :rofl: Brizzle is the shizzle indeed.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending