The Student Room Group

can no longer cope with university

I'm a second year undergrad studying at Bristol uni with mental health problems. For the past 3 years I've been on and off of medication and therapy, but since starting my first year at university, I fell into a deep depression and struggled to go to lectures. The uni was aware of my problems when I applied and I somehow managed to drag my way through the first year.

But since starting my second year things have gotten my worse, after weeks of barely sleeping, going out or attending any lectures I went home in early December and haven't gone back to uni since. I've emailed the uni to say that I wouldn't be able to take my January exams due to extenuating circumstances but now they are putting me under pressure to let them know what I plan to do and when to come back. Also I cannot attend special lectures and meetings about doing coursework, so I can't get any marks in them.

The real problem is the pressure on my parents from me living at home, at first they we very understanding but now it feels as if they're just sick of having me around. I haven't gotten any better since December, and because of my issues I don't have any energy to do anything and am more or less housebound. They also have to keep paying for my rent and bills in Bristol, we're not well off and my pathetic excuse for a student grant has already run out and I get virtually nothing in DLA, they simply cannot afford to keep me at both uni and at home.

So with all the guilty and self destruction building up, both sides are now trying to get me to make up my mind. My parents reckon that I should drop out of Bristol, take a year out, and re-apply closer to home (London). I really like Bristol, I have a few once-on-a-lifetime friends there now and I don't want to feel like I'm running away from all that. Plus the attitude I get from most people is that if you drop out of uni your life is essentially over.

So would it be possible to transfer to another uni after taking a year out under my circumstances? I can't see myself staying enrolled at Bristol any longer, as much as it pains me to leave, I have to put my own wellbeing first in this case. Will any other universities even allow me to apply to start a second year after a year out for medical reasons?

Thanks, even if you don't read this, it felt good writing it down.
Reply 1
Hello Nau1:

A couple of thoughts leap to mind:

-- have you spoken to the disability adviser at Bristol Uni? they are a very good first resource for issues like this - it might be possible to take the year out and/or transfer.

-- second - my psychologist was very supportive around issues like this. When I first attended uni I had to first take a year out and then put the whole idea on hold for a time. This was a good thing for me: first uni is very expensive: if you don't think that you are going to achieve your full potential then there is no failure involved in throwing up your hands and saying 'its not the right time' -- stress is a major contributing factor to mental health problems: particularly depression. You have a number of stresses right there.

-- Of your financial situation: some students in receipt of DLA ARE eligible to claim benefits such as income support and housing benefit -- if I remember correctly, you would need to be eligible for the disability premium to be eligible for this support: your local Citizens Advice Bureau is an excellent resource which could provide you with full information.

-- Of loans etc. Again: my information might be out of date so I would check with SFE but my understanding is that you can still get loans again for years in which you have left due to ill health. I had to follow this procedure myself as I had two years interrupted due to ill health and under normal circumstances I think you can only get finance for 4 years and/or to complete your first degree. Naturally this means that you would have a larger student loan bill at the end of your course to repay, but you might then be paying for something you got!

-- Of transferring as a second year. It can often be better to start again completely rather than try to try to join another course midway through. My reasoning here is this: different courses are of course taught by different tutors and they each have their own focuses. If you were to begin your course again without having that new first year foundation, and you already struggle with lectures and papers where you do have the foundation - then you might find this even more difficult.

Sincerely though: there is no shame in taking the time to deal with your mental health -- speak up about it to your family, to the school and to your doctors. And good luck!
Reply 2
Original post by nau1
So would it be possible to transfer to another uni after taking a year out under my circumstances? I can't see myself staying enrolled at Bristol any longer, as much as it pains me to leave, I have to put my own wellbeing first in this case. Will any other universities even allow me to apply to start a second year after a year out for medical reasons?

You can choose to transfer for a whole set of reasons and unless the new university needs information about your incomplete second year and/or you want to explain your possibly bad results in first year then you don't even have to tell them the reason behind your transfer. However, to be able to transfer you have to have completed modules that are similar to the modules that the other university offers and you have to have reached a certain level (which is specified by the university). It's very likely that you also have to meet the general entry requirements (in terms of A-levels) that apply to those wishing to enter at level one.

But I think that before making any choices you really need to deal with your problems. Studying in London as opposed to Bristol isn't going to magically make you better - you already had one change of environment and apparently it didn't do you any good. What I'm saying is that get better first and then think about returning to your study. Otherwise there is a very good chance that you'll be in the same situation you are in now; just in a different city.
Reply 3
Before making any decisions, you haven't mentioned talking to your course tutor. I think you definitely need to go and speak to him/her and really make some decisions.

I have bi-polar disorder and epilepsy and my tutors have been so supportive.
Reply 4
Thanks for everyone for the helpful advice! Sorry for not replying for a while.
After talking it over with my tutor and therapist, I have decided to leave Bristol and move back home to concentrate on therapy.
In September I plan to start an Open University degree and transfer my credits from the first year over and continue my course, hopefully I can then save up enough to move out eventually before my parents get sick of me!

Thanks again guys

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending