The Student Room Group

HELP! Dropping out/returning to uni.

Hello, I’ve just turned 23 and need help on deciding if I should come back to university.
After my second year I struggled with my mental health so much, and the lack of material I learnt during COVID did not help me at all especially at a creative course.
I decided to take time off kind of far into my third year that year, and then return again. I did that but ended up in the same situation. I decided to take time off once again. This meant that I’ve attempted third year twice.
I’m now deciding if I should try again, this is my third attempt. I don’t really know what to do, I’m on a product design course and I feel humiliated by the fact that I may get judged for trying again 3 times now. I know it is my fault for not being able to handle my severe depression well so I don’t know what to do.
If you know anyone in a similar situation from the past please let me know… I really feel alone in this
Original post by Anonymous
Hello, I’ve just turned 23 and need help on deciding if I should come back to university.
After my second year I struggled with my mental health so much, and the lack of material I learnt during COVID did not help me at all especially at a creative course.
I decided to take time off kind of far into my third year that year, and then return again. I did that but ended up in the same situation. I decided to take time off once again. This meant that I’ve attempted third year twice.
I’m now deciding if I should try again, this is my third attempt. I don’t really know what to do, I’m on a product design course and I feel humiliated by the fact that I may get judged for trying again 3 times now. I know it is my fault for not being able to handle my severe depression well so I don’t know what to do.
If you know anyone in a similar situation from the past please let me know… I really feel alone in this

Hey,
I'm sorry to hear that you've been facing such challenging circumstances during your time at university. Dealing with mental health issues, especially during a demanding course like product design, can be incredibly tough and impact academic performance. It's important to remember that you are not alone, and many students have faced similar struggles.

Firstly, I want to emphasize that seeking help and support for your mental health should be a priority. If you haven't already, consider reaching out to some counselling or mental health services. Talking to a professional can provide valuable insights and coping strategies to manage depression and other mental health challenges.
Regarding your academic journey, it's crucial to remember that everyone's path is different, and there's no shame in taking breaks or attempting a year multiple times. Some students face personal challenges that affect their studies, and that doesn't define your worth or potential.

Before making a decision about returning to university for the third attempt, take some time for self-reflection. Ask yourself the following questions:
-Have you addressed your mental health issues? Are you in a better place now to manage your depression and cope with the challenges of university life?
-What were the specific reasons that led to your struggles during your previous attempts? How can you prevent this from happening again?
-Do you still have a passion for product design, or have your interests and career aspirations shifted over time?

I hope this helps and all the best for the future!
Vyomika (LU Student Ambassador)

Hello!

@Lancaster Student Ambassador's answer was really good, especially with the questions they asked.

Do you feel your course is supportive when you are there? Could you speak to your lecturer ahead of returning or look at doing your course? Or could you go somewhere else for the final year if you don't feel you are being supported?

I think you should try to feel proud of yourself, your determination and bravery is a really admirable trait to have, a lot of people would not have come back so well done for perservering!

Your mental health should always come first, I hope you are in a better place and wishing you lots of luck with your final year if you do decide the time is right.

Jenny - a rep from Arts University Plymouth.
Reply 3
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Hey,
I'm sorry to hear that you've been facing such challenging circumstances during your time at university. Dealing with mental health issues, especially during a demanding course like product design, can be incredibly tough and impact academic performance. It's important to remember that you are not alone, and many students have faced similar struggles.

Firstly, I want to emphasize that seeking help and support for your mental health should be a priority. If you haven't already, consider reaching out to some counselling or mental health services. Talking to a professional can provide valuable insights and coping strategies to manage depression and other mental health challenges.
Regarding your academic journey, it's crucial to remember that everyone's path is different, and there's no shame in taking breaks or attempting a year multiple times. Some students face personal challenges that affect their studies, and that doesn't define your worth or potential.

Before making a decision about returning to university for the third attempt, take some time for self-reflection. Ask yourself the following questions:
-Have you addressed your mental health issues? Are you in a better place now to manage your depression and cope with the challenges of university life?
-What were the specific reasons that led to your struggles during your previous attempts? How can you prevent this from happening again?
-Do you still have a passion for product design, or have your interests and career aspirations shifted over time?

I hope this helps and all the best for the future!
Vyomika (LU Student Ambassador)

Thanks for answering…
I’m not too sure how to answer those questions you sent me but one thing I do know is that I really don’t have a passion for this subject anymore. I’m really upset with myself.
Reply 4
Original post by ArtsUniPlymouth
Hello!

@Lancaster Student Ambassador's answer was really good, especially with the questions they asked.

Do you feel your course is supportive when you are there? Could you speak to your lecturer ahead of returning or look at doing your course? Or could you go somewhere else for the final year if you don't feel you are being supported?

I think you should try to feel proud of yourself, your determination and bravery is a really admirable trait to have, a lot of people would not have come back so well done for perservering!

Your mental health should always come first, I hope you are in a better place and wishing you lots of luck with your final year if you do decide the time is right.

Jenny - a rep from Arts University Plymouth.

Thank you, I will think aboutit
Thanks for answering…
I’m not too sure how to answer those questions you sent me but one thing I do know is that I really don’t have a passion for this subject anymore. I’m really upset with myself.

I think it sounds like you need some further time and space away from your course to ask yourself if you are truly no longer passionate about your subject or just disheartened.

Please don't be upset with yourself, many people choose different career paths after their degree, I promise you, you are not alone.

Be kind to yourself and I guarantee you if a friend was in your position, you wouldn't think any of the things you currently are feeling about yourself. You would just want them to be happy!

There is no rush with any of this. Be kind and take the time out that you need.

Jenny
Arts University Plymouth Rep

http://aup.ac.uk/clearing
💻 Email us at [email protected]
☎️ Call us on 01752 203402⁠
📱 Whatsapp us at 07722 744184⁠
Hi there! Can't give much help about your decision - all I would say is take the time you need and do what is best for you.

I am a newly graduated product design student - if I can help you in any way regarding the course let me know. I would be happy to help.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending