The Student Room Group

Urgent Aqa AS geography ums help required

I'll come straight out with this one I got 38 out of 60 ums in unit 2... weird considering I worked my socks off, but in mock I got an A without revision? Anywho I now need approx 122 out of 140 ums in unit 1 but what are geography's requirements for an A* overall in A2?

I ask this because if need something like 80%+ in unit 1 and 2 this year ill resit and go for it but if not ill make Damn sure I get an overall A by trying to completely max unit 1 :wink:

EDIT btw 38/60 is a C, B = 42 and A is something like 50
(edited 13 years ago)
I was retaking and got 51/60 which was an A. As for revision, I did the same as you when I first took the paper last year and came out with a C
Reply 2
Nice one I could get an A I think but I need to know if I need to for A* next year, is like maths 80%+ in all AS and 90%+ in A2? Or is it A in AS overall and 90%+ in A2
Original post by dzone25
Nice one I could get an A I think but I need to know if I need to for A* next year, is like maths 80%+ in all AS and 90%+ in A2? Or is it A in AS overall and 90%+ in A2

I not sure for certain but I would guess 90%+ overall (AS+A2).

Have you spoken to your geography teacher? For history, my teacher went through with me the exact number of marks I need to get an A, but thats a different exam board, but it would definitely be worth just asking your teacher for a breakdown of what you need to get.
Reply 4
80% overall, 90%+ in a2 to get A*
Reply 5
Original post by tehforum

Man I hope your right the grades for A* have been so blur-y for all subjects and AQA have some poor examiners lol
Reply 6
Original post by dzone25
Man I hope your right the grades for A* have been so blur-y for all subjects and AQA have some poor examiners lol

I'm in the same position as you. :wink:

I'm confident.
Reply 7
My teacher today was telling me to go for an A*, mentioned something lie 180 UMS overall but I think that may just be for a AS or something. But yeah as others have said, the general rule is >80% at AS then >90% in A2.
Reply 8

Yeah, this is the A* requirement for all A level subjects. This means you need to score at least 320 UMS marks overall but you must obtain at least 180 of these UMS marks in your A2 year, meaning you can only drop a maximum of 20 UMS marks in A2, if you want to achieve an A*.

I feel this is a little unfair as you could have someone who scores 200/200 in AS and 179/200 in A2 only being awarded an A (with a total of 379/400), while someone who scores 140/200 in AS and 180/200 in A2 would be awarded an A* (with a total of 320/400).
Reply 9
Original post by Geoff89
Yeah, this is the A* requirement for all A level subjects. This means you need to score at least 320 UMS marks overall but you must obtain at least 180 of these UMS marks in your A2 year, meaning you can only drop a maximum of 20 UMS marks in A2, if you want to achieve an A*.

I feel this is a little unfair as you could have someone who scores 200/200 in AS and 179/200 in A2 only being awarded an A (with a total of 379/400), while someone who scores 140/200 in AS and 180/200 in A2 would be awarded an A* (with a total of 320/400).

Then naturally you'd get a re-mark.
Reply 10
Then naturally you'd get a re-mark.
You've missed the point, is it right that someone who scores 59 more UMS marks gets a lower grade?

It does show you the importance that exam boards place on A2 units though.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending