The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by nightmare91
Ah ok :biggrin: So when will you decide? I think we have time until May or something like that?

I think it's May 9th. Decided to go for LSE in the end, hopefully I made the right decision :redface:
Original post by Hackett
I don't understand....for monopolitic markets I thought that there was a low number or producers etc and that there were HIGH barriers to entry etc.. but according to tutor2u. this is what is says:

The *assumptions *of *monopolistic *competition *are *as *follows *-* *as *you *check *through *them *look *to * see *the *differences *between *this *mark *structure *and *perfect *competition. *
1. * There *are *many *producers *and *many *consumers *in *a *market *-* *the *concentration *ratio *is * low * *

2. * Consumers *perceive *that *there *are *non-*price *differences *among *the *competitors' *products * i.e. *there *is *product *differentiation *

3. * Producers *have *some *control *over *price *-* *they *are *␣price *makers␣ *rather *than *␣price * takers␣␣ * *
Price *and * Cost *
4. * The *barriers *to *entry *and *exit *into *and *out *of *the *market *are *low

We don't get to study monopolistic markets in our syllabus >_<

We do, however, study contestable markets, which I guess a monopolistic market is an example of.

I know this isn't really related to your post, but it's something I've just noticed. I'd assumed the different syllabi would all be the same in content. Makes you realise how narrow A levels can be...
Original post by jamiepango
I think it's May 9th. Decided to go for LSE in the end, hopefully I made the right decision :redface:

I am sure you'll like it. Just make sure that you don't always hang out with wannabe investment bankers :biggrin:
Reply 9643
I am sure you'll like it. Just make sure that you don't always hang out with wannabe investment bankers :biggrin:

*to-be
Reply 9644
To everyone who got Oxbridge/lse - did you have a lot of work experience/ EC's related to economics. Eg target 2.0/ RES?

Thanks
Reply 9645
Original post by Az_016
To everyone who got Oxbridge/lse - did you have a lot of work experience/ EC's related to economics. Eg target 2.0/ RES?

Thanks

I had no work experience or ECs.
Original post by Az_016

Thanks

Got Cambridge didn't apply to LSE. No work experience. Did target 2.0 that's about it. Economics related EC's are beneficial but work experience (unless it is extremely well related to degree economics) is pointless. For example, doing work experience at a bank won't help your application. In fact, it might make it worse as you are wasting space that could be used to display passion for economics!
Reply 9647
Original post by stefl14
Got Cambridge didn't apply to LSE. No work experience. Did target 2.0 that's about it. Economics related EC's are beneficial but work experience (unless it is extremely well related to degree economics) is pointless. For example, doing work experience at a bank won't help your application. In fact, it might make it worse as you are wasting space that could be used to display passion for economics!

what were your UMS and GCSE scores like if you don't mind saying :smile:
Original post by amg_22

GCSE scores were relatively poor which is why I didn't apply for LSE:
3A*s,5As, a B and 2 C's

AS UMS:
Maths (full A level): A*, 575/600, 278/300AS, 297/300 A2
Economics AS: A, 191/200
Biology AS: A, 290/300

A2 predictions: A* FM, A* Bio, A* Econ
Reply 9649
Original post by amg_22

From what I have seen getting an A* in Maths before applying is very beneficial, which seems a bit of a shame considering whether or not schools operate in that way is nothing to do with the candidate.
Original post by Tateco
From what I have seen getting an A* in Maths before applying is very beneficial, which seems a bit of a shame considering whether or not schools operate in that way is nothing to do with the candidate.

I agree with this to an extent. I was fortunate to have attended one of the schools who does this. However, it didn't help me get an offer from Warwick of UCL who I assume rejected me on the basis of poor GCSEs because i know weaker applicants who got offers!
Original post by Tateco

A friend of mine got an offer from LSE and he already had the A* in Maths. The thing is if you already have finished one A Level, they will increase your offer. His offer is A*AAA and not the typical A*AA. They want you to work hard in your last year. So it does have its downsides as well :tongue:
A friend of mine got an offer from LSE and he already had the A* in Maths. The thing is if you already have finished one A Level, they will increase your offer. His offer is A*AAA and not the typical A*AA. They want you to work hard in your last year. So it does have its downsides as well :tongue:

Not true for all applicants. Two people in my FM class got offers for economics from LSE. They both got A* in Maths last year and they both hold offers of AAE with the E being in FM lol. It is true for Cambridge though. They won't accept grades already achieved. Hence people such as myself with offers from Cambridge (most of whom will come out with 4 A levels) and already have an A* in maths still need to achieve A*AA. It's like the offer being A*A*AA!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 9653
Original post by stefl14
Not true for all applicants. Two people in my FM class got offers for economics from LSE. They both got A* in Maths last year and they both hold offers of AAE with the E being in FM lol. It is true for Cambridge though. They won't accept grades already achieved. Hence people such as myself with offers from Cambridge (most of whom will come out with 4 A levels) and already have an A* in maths still need to achieve A*AA. It's like the offer being A*A*AA!

But with the top universities it's about getting an offer, not meeting it. Most of us are quite capable of achieving whatever offers are thrown at us.
Reply 9654
Original post by stefl14
GCSE scores were relatively poor which is why I didn't apply for LSE:
3A*s,5As, a B and 2 C's

AS UMS:
Maths (full A level): A*, 575/600, 278/300AS, 297/300 A2
Economics AS: A, 191/200
Biology AS: A, 290/300

A2 predictions: A* FM, A* Bio, A* Econ

wow nice :biggrin: well done on your offer, just out of interest which college did you apply to?
Original post by amg_22
wow nice :biggrin: well done on your offer, just out of interest which college did you apply to?

Gonville and Caius.
Reply 9656
Original post by stefl14
Gonville and Caius.

wow my dream uni and college ^ i'm very jealous.
Reply 9657
Original post by stefl14
Gonville and Caius.

Same here :smile:
Original post by Tateco
But with the top universities it's about getting an offer, not meeting it. Most of us are quite capable of achieving whatever offers are thrown at us.

Not or Maths though. On the Warwick Applicants group one guy told me that almost everyone who has at least AAA gets an offer for Maths at Warwick. The offer is very difficult though and most of the offer holders don't make it. Same goes for Cambridge. They accept 50% of the candidates but only one in five makes the offer. I wish it were the same for economics. Then they wouldn't reject us because of bad GCSEs or a personal statement that didn't 'fit' the course. It would come down to your performance. Sorry that was a bit off-topic but I found this quite interesting :eek:
Not or Maths though. On the Warwick Applicants group one guy told me that almost everyone who has at least AAA gets an offer for Maths at Warwick. The offer is very difficult though and most of the offer holders don't make it. Same goes for Cambridge. They accept 50% of the candidates but only one in five makes the offer. I wish it were the same for economics. Then they wouldn't reject us because of bad GCSEs or a personal statement that didn't 'fit' the course. It would come down to your performance. Sorry that was a bit off-topic but I found this quite interesting :eek:

I don't think they would be able to do that for Economics, since A*AA is 'quite easy' for the 'top candiates to achieve' Unless they were to ask for A*A*A with an admission test, it wouldn't work!

Latest

Trending

Trending