The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 160
Original post by jamiepango
Was anyone else in the economics lecture where all the lights kept trning off? :P
I thought the open day was quite informative, and I didn't know about the gathered field that they do for oxbridge applicants...

What's this gathered field thing?

I don't know whether or not it's worth applying to LSE, lack of further maths to A2 (I might be able to get it to AS) and only 5 A*'s at GCSE will give them two reasons not to accept me which makes it easy for them, I don't know if it will be a waste of an option when I could put Bristol in...

Ah well, if I don't get in to one of the top 7 then I'm most certainly going for a masters at LSE/Cambridge
Reply 161
applying to do a joint honours in economics at politics :biggrin:
looking to apply at Lancaster, Kent, Essex, Leicester and Sussex
Reply 162
Original post by YingYang
What open days have people got planned for after exams?

I'm definitely going to Bristol, then probably UCL and/or Nottingham

I'm thinking UCL, Durham and York. I need to do some research on the open days, but exam revision takes priority!

I was late for the first Economics talk, but she did go on about how the lights were playing up. I didn't hear about this gathered field - are you referring to the fact some students are shortlisted before a choice is made to give a fuller picture?
Reply 163
Original post by Groat
I'm thinking UCL, Durham and York. I need to do some research on the open days, but exam revision takes priority!

I was late for the first Economics talk, but she did go on about how the lights were playing up. I didn't hear about this gathered field - are you referring to the fact some students are shortlisted before a choice is made to give a fuller picture?

I was considering Durham, but then I actually found out where it was in england. Now I cba to travel from London -> Newcastle just for an open day :wink:
Original post by tateco
What's this gathered field thing?

I don't know whether or not it's worth applying to LSE, lack of further maths to A2 (I might be able to get it to AS) and only 5 A*'s at GCSE will give them two reasons not to accept me which makes it easy for them, I don't know if it will be a waste of an option when I could put Bristol in...

Ah well, if I don't get in to one of the top 7 then I'm most certainly going for a masters at LSE/Cambridge

Basically, if you apply to LSE and send it before Oct 15th (obviously applied for oxbridge) then they put all those candidates together into a "gathered field" and base your application with those applicants. I didn't really understand, but I guess basically if you apply oxbridge, you *may* have a less chance of recieving an offer (I may be wrong so don't quote me on this).

But yes, I'm also reconsidering because LSE place such a heavy emphasis on further maths that I think even doing it to AS level won't be enough. Also, if we do it to AS, we have to get an A in it. God I wish I hadn't chosen it to begin with...
Reply 165
I am interested in Economics at University. Hopefully applying for LSE, UCL, Warwick and maybe Durham.
Reply 166
Basically, if you apply to LSE and send it before Oct 15th (obviously applied for oxbridge) then they put all those candidates together into a "gathered field" and base your application with those applicants. I didn't really understand, but I guess basically if you apply oxbridge, you *may* have a less chance of recieving an offer (I may be wrong so don't quote me on this).

But yes, I'm also reconsidering because LSE place such a heavy emphasis on further maths that I think even doing it to AS level won't be enough. Also, if we do it to AS, we have to get an A in it. God I wish I hadn't chosen it to begin with...

I'm not so sure where you get the idea that they put heavy emphasis on Further Maths! From what I understand, it's preferred, but they aren't going to reject you without looking at your other application components, just because you don't have Further Maths.

Getting an A in Further Maths at AS may seem difficult, but if you have an aptitude for mathematics I'm sure you'll be fine. Getting 240/300 using FP1, D1 and S1 shouldn't be hard, it's just extra work.
Reply 167
Original post by Groat
I'm not so sure where you get the idea that they put heavy emphasis on Further Maths! From what I understand, it's preferred, but they aren't going to reject you without looking at your other application components, just because you don't have Further Maths.

Getting an A in Further Maths at AS may seem difficult, but if you have an aptitude for mathematics I'm sure you'll be fine. Getting 240/300 using FP1, D1 and S1 shouldn't be hard, it's just extra work.

It just gives them a reason to reject us though, they have >10 applicants for every place, it's easy for them to see someone without further maths and just lose them :/ I don't doubt I could get an A but it would be extra pressure
Reply 168

Yeah :/ So much extra pressure, I'm going to apply if I have enough spaces but I'm also thinking of applying to Bristol as well as Bath now, along with Cambridge and Nottingham I think LSE would be too risky as a fifth choice :/ I don't know, I'm just going to wait and see what my UMS are like in August
Reply 169
Gunning for the top 5 here. Looks like there's some serious competition. If I don't fall at the first hurdle (AS) I guess I'll be squaring up against a lot of the people here. May the best candidate win!
Reply 170
Original post by zxh800
Gunning for the top 5 here. Looks like there's some serious competition. If I don't fall at the first hurdle (AS) I guess I'll be squaring up against a lot of the people here. May the best candidate win!

Aha, good luck! :wink: What A-levels are you doing?
Reply 171
Original post by tateco
Aha, good luck! :wink: What A-levels are you doing?

Maths, Further Maths, History, Economics and an EP.

If I have to drop something I'll probably drop FM A-level and do an AS but I'd ideally carry them all on!
Original post by Groat

Haha, it's implied, and as tateco said, it gives them a reason to reject us outright, as I'm guessing the majority would have further maths to A2....

Original post by tateco
Yeah :/ So much extra pressure, I'm going to apply if I have enough spaces but I'm also thinking of applying to Bristol as well as Bath now, along with Cambridge and Nottingham I think LSE would be too risky as a fifth choice :/ I don't know, I'm just going to wait and see what my UMS are like in August

Ah right, so you're definitely applying to cambridge? :smile: In my opinion, competition is so fierce at LSE that I think you would have more chance applying at cambridge :P
I am thinking I will apply to either one, not both as it is too risky. I might apply to the Bath open days in may. I think we are basically applying for the same ones! I hope to see you at one of them in the near future :wink:

Original post by zxh800

It IS TSR so I think competition is expected :wink:

I wish you luck! :smile:
Original post by Groat

They do, even they say so. At today's talk they were saying that you should explain why you haven't done it if you haven't and it has to be a good reason ie. not I wanted to do something else, but my school don't allow it.
Reply 174

Ah right, so you're definitely applying to cambridge? :smile: In my opinion, competition is so fierce at LSE that I think you would have more chance applying at cambridge :P
I am thinking I will apply to either one, not both as it is too risky. I might apply to the Bath open days in may. I think we are basically applying for the same ones! I hope to see you at one of them in the near future :wink:

Yeah I'm definitely going for Cambridge as my aspirational, but I don't know whether to choose LSE or Bristol and Bath, if I did LSE then I could only choose one of them and for that reason could easily see myself at one of my insurances (York or Nottingham, maybe Durham). Do you know which one's you're applying to then? :P
Reply 175
Original post by zxh800
Maths, Further Maths, History, Economics and an EP.

If I have to drop something I'll probably drop FM A-level and do an AS but I'd ideally carry them all on!

Ugh, yet another applicant with perfect subjects that I'm up against, why did I have to take bloody biology! :L
Reply 176
Original post by tateco
Ugh, yet another applicant with perfect subjects that I'm up against, why did I have to take bloody biology! :L

Stop worrying, there's no such thing as a perfect candidate or perfect subjects, the only advantage is FM to A2. You have a strong set of traditional subjects and you'll be fine!
Original post by tateco
Yeah I'm definitely going for Cambridge as my aspirational, but I don't know whether to choose LSE or Bristol and Bath, if I did LSE then I could only choose one of them and for that reason could easily see myself at one of my insurances (York or Nottingham, maybe Durham). Do you know which one's you're applying to then? :P

Not a clue! :P Ask me that in about 4 months and maybe I'll tell you then :wink:
Reply 178
Original post by sqwerty
Stop worrying, there's no such thing as a perfect candidate or perfect subjects, the only advantage is FM to A2. You have a strong set of traditional subjects and you'll be fine!

Thanks for the reassurance :smile: I just have to keep reminding myself that this thread isn't the usual set of applicants...
Reply 179
Original post by tateco
Thanks for the reassurance :smile: I just have to keep reminding myself that this thread isn't the usual set of applicants...

If you do Further Maths to AS Level, you'll be more than fine. A few guys in the year above joined my Further Maths AS class, and one of them is holding an A*AAa offer at LSE. Don't be disheartened about the numerous people who have Further Maths; just remember that a lot of people who are good at maths aren't brilliant in all academic aspects.

For that reason, ensure that you strive to get the best AS results you can and make versatility your strong point. By the sounds of it, you're already high up the spectrum for all-round brilliance.

Latest

Trending

Trending