The Student Room Group

Film Fanatics - Chat Thread II

Scroll to see replies

I'm having a movie night with some friends who are in serious need of watching films that aren't chick flicks. I want to introduce them to the genre of action/adventure/fantasy etc.

Any suggestions? Nothing too heavy, cause when I suggested a LOTR extended addition marathon, they looked at me like I was crazy so I guess I have to ease them in to it.

Spoiler

Original post by sheep_go_baa
I'm having a movie night with some friends who are in serious need of watching films that aren't chick flicks. I want to introduce them to the genre of action/adventure/fantasy etc.

Any suggestions? Nothing too heavy, cause when I suggested a LOTR extended addition marathon, they looked at me like I was crazy so I guess I have to ease them in to it.

Spoiler

Pan's Labyrinth? That manages to introduce fantasy into a more mundane background quite well.

Spoiler

The underworld series? Review sites seem to think it's average but the plots really good, vampires fighting werewolves...... kate beckinsale in pvc... whats not to like really?
The Hunger Games has been getting impressive reviews! :awesome: Really looking forward to seeing it.
Original post by TheLouisVuittonDon
The Hunger Games has been getting impressive reviews! :awesome: Really looking forward to seeing it.

The English remake of Battle Royale? :pierre:

But yeah, doesn't seem to be getting panned from RT and Metacritic reviews. I initially dismissed it as another poor cheesy adaptation but it might be worth giving it a go. The first two books in the trilogy were decent reads (even if the last one was awful).
Reply 5865
Wow.

Spoiler

How about Princess Mononoke? In fact, I'd say introduce them to all the Studio Ghibli films, they're impossible not to fall in love with.
Prometheus looks so good. :excited:
It's taken me until this point in my life to reconcile the fact that the Baz Luhrmann that made Romeo+Juliet was the same that made "Everybody's Free (to wear sunscreen)". Never connected it before.
Well, that scene's ruined for me.
Reply 5871
So contrary to reports that John Carter just might break even, Disney have released a statement estimating that the film will lose them about $200 million, which would make it one of the biggest flops ever. :holmes:
Don't want to just mindlessly hate on the prequels, but I've been watching Star Wars again and I think I prefer the lightsaber battles in the original trilogy, despite their being less impressive technically. Prequel duels are seemingly all flashy choreography and jumping about*; Luke vs. Vader in Empire and Jedi are a lot more raw and savage. Not as much needless twirling.

*I'll give Windu/Palpatine a pass for getting to the point quickly, and Obi-Wan vs. Anakin gets one just for the pure hate involved.
(edited 12 years ago)
God damn this is a wonderful premise for a horror movie:

I wasn't expecting John Carter to be brilliant (I was right :teehee:) but for the amount of money Disney spent you would have thought it would be better... :lolwut:

Quality/quantity.

Edit: Prometheus. :coma:
I didn't love John Carter, but didn't hate it either. I have seen way worse films. (Haywire, to mention just one). :awesome:
INLAND EMPIRE. Watched on the weekend, fantastic if you're into the surreal - unbelievably unsettling. Lynch is the man!
[video="youtube;BBENalLEnSE"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBENalLEnSE[/video]
So, it turns out that Keanu Reeves is a wonderful man: http://www.hellomagazine.com/celebrities/200305283652/keanu/reeves/matrix/

Man of the moment Keanu Reeves has shown his generosity by giving away £50 million of his earnings from the Matrix sequels. The 38-year-old decided to hand over the money to the unsung heroes of the sci-fi blockbusters - the costume and special effects teams.

His gift to the Matrix series' 29 behind-the-scenes whiz-kids will see each of them receiving £1.75 million.

Not surprising, he's one of the nicest guys in Hollywood. Despite all the hate he gets for his 'acting', I don't anybody who has worked with him has had a single bad thing to say about him. He's done more things in the past like giving an entire stunt crew motorcycles, buying free lunch for all the backstage/crew every single day, giving $20,000 bonuses to a movie set builder who had financial trouble and other stuff as well, driving people 50 miles to help them out and general stuff like donating to charity. Hell, he even gave up his seat on the sub/train. Apparently, he makes a real effort to get to know/get on well with everyone including the grunt workers and stage hands. He's been through a lot too personal life wise, so it's nice to see it hasn't turned him into a bitter person.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest