The Student Room Group

College Attendance

Hey,
I'm a student at a Sixth Form College and recently I've been skipping quite a few of my History/Politics classes because of my teacher (yes, unfortunately I have the same teacher in both His/GovPol). I'm just really not happy with his teaching style and instead of preparing us properly for the May/June exams, he spends most of the lessons talking about current affairs (in Politics) or irrelevant off-topic discussions (in History). My overall level of attendance should still be alright (probably around 93% or something), but I just feel like studying independently is way more efficient for me at this point.

I should be fine for my exams, so basically I just wanted to know what the policies of UK Sixth Form Colleges are regarding your level of attendance and to what extent all this will have an effect when applying to universities.

Thanks in advance. :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 1
Anything >90% is excellent and anything >80% is fine <80% and they would probably start to query it.

Its YOUR exam and It'll be YOUR results so do what you want!!
It really depends on the individual sixth form. Have a word with your tutor :smile:
depends on the sixth form and the individual student

i took the whole of january off in mine (literally just didnt come back after christmas till all our exams were over), so my attendance dropped to some ridiculously low level. nobody ever said anything about it to me. but i can imagine if some other students in our school did it they'd have letters sent home
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 4
I know at my sixth form if our attendance drops below 93% we get charged for our exams. I can't really speak for those subjects as I don't study them, but if you've not got any new material to cover then it's fair game, if you can skip lessons without getting into too much trouble and you think you can honestly do well from that then do it. Just don't complain if it back fires and bites you in the ass.
Reckon my attendance for sixth form was around 30% and they let me take all exams and I didn't have any valid reason for not attending. Think it depends on the student - they told me in not so many words that if you're gonna do alright they'll let you sit them but if you're not they're not gonna pay for you to drag their statistics down.
Reply 6
Original post by brigden2009
Anything >90% is excellent and anything >80% is fine <80% and they would probably start to query it.

Its YOUR exam and It'll be YOUR results so do what you want!!

i would not say 80% is fine that is 1 in 5 days absent so a day a week if u do 5 days a week just a opinion though lol

Quick Reply

Latest