The Student Room Group

Kicked out of Year 13 but still want to go to university

I recently got kicked out of year 13 for poor attendance but I still want to go to university. I take 3 BTEC's and I'm unsure if I can take them as an external candidate. Can anybody please help me with what options I have.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
hey you could try joining a private school, if the are too expensive or won't accept you, you could join kings inter high it is an only school you can attend from anywhere also the. fees are quite low. you can also join any time throughout the year.
Original post by sopwyd
I recently got kicked out of year 13 for poor attendance but I still want to go to university. I take 3 BTEC's and I'm unsure if I can take them as an external candidate. Can anybody please help me with what options I have.
Reply 2
I meant online*
Original post by BERNST
hey you could try joining a private school, if the are too expensive or won't accept you, you could join kings inter high it is an only school you can attend from anywhere also the. fees are quite low. you can also join any time throughout the year.
Why was your attendance so poor you were withdrawn from the course? That seems like a unusual outcome unless you literally did not attend teaching at all and had no reason to have missed it.
Original post by sopwyd

Hi there, my name is Aimee and I am a third year Criminology and Criminal behaviour student :smile:

First, why was your attendance so low? If it was due to personal or unexpected reasons then you maybe able to make an agreement with your sixth form. I would arrange a meeting and see if you can return if you promise to keep up with your attendance. As a care leaver, I understand that when you’re younger you kind of rebel and just do your own thing. If you cannot get back into sixth form, I would take a break from education and get a small part time job. This will help you get back into a routine and prepare you for university. In September you could apply to college and do your chosen subjects as they do not usually ask if your attendance was great.
Just be honest and let the school know if you was having personal issues. Everybody wants to help!
Kind regards and good luck, Aimee xox
Reply 5
Because of lateness, from September to December I was late to school almost everyday and I had a meeting about it and was told it was affecting my grade. From January to February i improved and was late 3 times but they still asked me to leave.

Original post by artful_lounger
Why was your attendance so poor you were withdrawn from the course? That seems like a unusual outcome unless you literally did not attend teaching at all and had no reason to have missed it.
Reply 6
If I was to go to college in September wouldn’t it put me 2 years behind?

Original post by Bradford Rep 3
Hi there, my name is Aimee and I am a third year Criminology and Criminal behaviour student :smile:

First, why was your attendance so low? If it was due to personal or unexpected reasons then you maybe able to make an agreement with your sixth form. I would arrange a meeting and see if you can return if you promise to keep up with your attendance. As a care leaver, I understand that when you’re younger you kind of rebel and just do your own thing. If you cannot get back into sixth form, I would take a break from education and get a small part time job. This will help you get back into a routine and prepare you for university. In September you could apply to college and do your chosen subjects as they do not usually ask if your attendance was great.
Just be honest and let the school know if you was having personal issues. Everybody wants to help!
Kind regards and good luck, Aimee xox
Original post by sopwyd

so? Whats more important to you, going to university or not being "behind"
Original post by sopwyd

Have you appealed this? It isn't a valid reason for exclusion.
Original post by sopwyd
Because of lateness, from September to December I was late to school almost everyday and I had a meeting about it and was told it was affecting my grade. From January to February i improved and was late 3 times but they still asked me to leave.

Why were you late...?
You can’t change the past you can only go forward, to answer your. Question you can still go to uni, but not in September.

You need to join a new college in September and resit the course, or do a different one.

You can’t say you want to only do online, uni isn’t online ( only one is and that’s normally for older people).

Re focus do the hard work and you will get there in a year or 2, lots of people take a gap year so it’s not like you will be behind everyone else in terms of age
Original post by sopwyd

At this point it’s a bit too late to be thinking about being behind. You just need to get a start in your next steps (FE) so you can even consider going to university. As said by a lot of TSR Users before me is that you’ll need to consider your viable options and start from there.
Reply 12
Original post by sopwyd

With the lateness, is this an executive functioning issue that happens in general (not just with school), or something else (transport hassles, not wanting to go in etc)? If it's the former and you're late for a lot of things without meaning to be, then that might indicate there's something else going on (eg. MH stuff, unsupported ND etc). Might be nothing, but I experienced chronic lateness throughout my life and it eventually turned out to be for a reason. I got support and was given various methods to help, and now I'm rarely ever late.

Also, being a couple of years behind is absolutely nothing, trust me. In fact, it can actually be a positive thing.
Reply 13
I failed my A levels, went to college and resat 2 years later. Made no difference at uni, if anything I avoided some of the pitfalls of my course mates that struggled. Find a decent college, get your head down and everything’s possible
What uni did you go and what course did you apply to, I feel like I might fail too. Can you please tell me
Why has your attendance been so crap and why were you late so often? Bear in mind that most if not all uni courses have a minimum attendance requirement so what steps are you taking to make sure that your horrendous school attendance doesn’t continue over into university?
Original post by sopwyd

Hi there! :smile:
Technically, yes. It may potentially put you back two years but please do not let this put you off. I was 21 when I started my first year at university and started a two year health and social care course at 19 to get points for university.
Could you not look at access courses? I think they may be a year long course but I’m not sure! Explore your avenues and please, don’t let the extra time out you off. It’s worth it!!
Take care, Aimee xox
Original post by Muttley79
Have you appealed this? It isn't a valid reason for exclusion.

I agree with Muttley.Does your school have a history of really good grades at Alevel and felt you would pull them down.I have seen it done but I do not agree with it.It should not be a reason for exclusion.
Reply 18
no they don't. They're just a regular academy.
Original post by Scotney
I agree with Muttley.Does your school have a history of really good grades at Alevel and felt you would pull them down.I have seen it done but I do not agree with it.It should not be a reason for exclusion.
Original post by sopwyd
no they don't. They're just a regular academy.

Do you that the decision was justified?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending