The Student Room Group

Psychology or Art at A2?

I'm currently studying English lit, Psychology, French and Art at AS and achieving A/B in the first three, but more like B/C in Art.

Career wise I'm not sure what I'd like to do, but I am drawn towards counselling/therapy so I would have thought Psychology. However a lot of people seem to think Psychology is a bit of a waste of time?
Reply 1
Don't take Art to A2 with those grades, not a good idea. There's far too much work involved and the workload required to get an A is just ridiculous. And despite all the work, it's not all that well respected.

I took Art and Psychology, best stick with Psychology if you're looking to get the best grade you can.

If you're looking more for the enjoyment factor though... I did really enjoy my A level Art sessions.It was a break from the normal, monotonous essays and such.
Yeah, that's what I like about Art, it's a break from all the writing. I know what you mean about the workload though, and I will definitely get a better AS grade in psychology. I would consider taking all 4 on for A2 but it's probably a bad idea considering how much time art takes up.
Reply 3
I'd say psychology.
Art requires a ridiculous amount of time, the students who tend to cope best with the work load are those who have other art type subjects and don't have a lot of exams.

And if you want to do counselling then it should be obvious that you want to do psychology!
What would a counselling course prefer? And psychology is much more respected than art, especially if you are planning on taking a psychology related subject later on...
Art A2 is one hell of a lot of work; I've had friends saying it took more out of them than any of their other subjects.

I'd stick with Psychology; you're more likely to get a better grade in that, and Art is something you can do in your free-time with out all the constraints posed by exams and such :h: Are you on AQA? If so, how did you find the recent 5-hour exam?
Reply 5
If you take anything other than maths or science, there's always going to be someone who thinks it's a waste of time. Don't listen to them. But I'm gonna guess that art will be less respected by unis if you apply for anything unrelated to art.
It's true about the counselling, but I wasn't sure whether it was a career which particularly required psychology A level.

The 5 hour exam went well thanks, I did forget my photos for the second half and had to improvise but the end result wasn't too bad :smile:

And that's so true, I feel like what I'm doing is a waste of time because people need scientists and mathematicians more than writers/artists, but I am just not naturally inclined towards maths :\

Quick Reply

Latest