The Student Room Group

Combined Maths & Economics degree?

I've been looking into doing a combined Maths and Economics course at university - maths is my favourite subject, although I'm also interested in Economics, and it would be very helpful when looking for employment in the business/financial sector after uni.

Would there be any big disadvantages to taking a combined course such as this? Would it be better to just pick one of the subjects and do a degree in that? Apart from being able to do 2 subjects which I like, are there any more advantages?

I'm doing Maths, Further Maths, Economics and Physics at A Level, with Spanish and Ethics/Philosophy AS.

Thanks in advance
Reply 1
I think that either straight economics, or economics combined with maths will give you equally as good prospects, if you're good at maths and enjoy it then go for it. It will probably be better preparation for masters than straight economics.
Reply 2
If I wanted to go into teaching, would I be able to teacher both subjects (or choose which one)?.
Reply 3
Anyone else?
Reply 4
Original post by jd123
If I wanted to go into teaching, would I be able to teacher both subjects (or choose which one)?.

Maths yes, Economics maybe (probably yes), Further Maths not sure (maybe yes also for some modules?)

Depends on modules and what you take, should do I think. Though I know of people who have gone from straight Economics to teaching Maths so I think should would be able to go from Maths & Economics to Economics. You're A-Levels help you if you want to do either though.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 5
Lol you think someone who has done maths and economics would be unable to teach economics at A level?????
Reply 6
Original post by danny111
Lol you think someone who has done maths and economics would be unable to teach economics at A level?????

No?

But considering I don't know where they would do it and the course, I said depends what you do in Economics, so I said 'probably yes'... this is only from what I have been told by a PGCE admissions coordinator when I was asking them (for specifically Maths/Economics teaching).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending