The Student Room Group

Citation for Mary Bell case

I have an assignment due in very soon and, though I am mostly finished I need one last citation to complete the referencing.

It is for the 'Mary Bell' case, about a 10 year old found guilty of killing two small children. Because her identity was protected its difficult to find any kind of citation for the case. It should be noted that I'm taking about the original case in 1968, not the case of 2003 where she fought for her right for anonimity.

If anyone knows the citation for this case, their help will be greatly appreciated as I've looked high and low with no luck. Thanks in advance.
It wouldn't be that surprising if the case was unreported - where the case is just about applying the test for manslaughter (say) and sentencing, hundreds go unreported every year. So it may just be that there isn't a reference for it.
Original post by Nashie 0
I have an assignment due in very soon and, though I am mostly finished I need one last citation to complete the referencing.

It is for the 'Mary Bell' case, about a 10 year old found guilty of killing two small children. Because her identity was protected its difficult to find any kind of citation for the case. It should be noted that I'm taking about the original case in 1968, not the case of 2003 where she fought for her right for anonimity.

If anyone knows the citation for this case, their help will be greatly appreciated as I've looked high and low with no luck. Thanks in advance.

I did a quick search on Westlaw and no luck. I have a feeling it was never reported because from what i recall of the facts, there was no real issue of law - the questions were whether she actually did the killing i think (especially as this was a case at first instance). The fact her name was changed later is irrelevant - the report will provide her name as it was at the time (and at the time, she was Mary Bell). I think you're going to have to find another source for it.
Reply 3
I think I recall this coming up last year, can't be sure, but if I remember correctly it was unreported. Sorry that that's not much help.
Reply 4
Eventually found some information on the case listed under 'R v X (Juvenile)' though it was, as you've all said, unreported. Thus there was no other citations as such.
I spoke to some people using the same case and they all just put in the case name with no other citation so I just did the same.

Anyways, thanks for the help.
X (a woman formally known as Mary Bell) and Y v. Stephen O'Brien and News Group Newspapers and MGN Limited [2003] EWCH QB 1101

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending