The Student Room Group

Urgent uni essay help

So my UNI uses Turntin for posting essays and stuff and I just posted mine and I got a similarity report of 32%....I heard that's terrible. I swear I cited everything...but idk what to do. This is my first ever UNI essay as well...what's going to happen???? I'm lowkey scared.
Original post by Nice_100
So my UNI uses Turntin for posting essays and stuff and I just posted mine and I got a similarity report of 32%....I heard that's terrible. I swear I cited everything...but idk what to do. This is my first ever UNI essay as well...what's going to happen???? I'm lowkey scared.

Hi,

Turn-it-in can be the cause of a lot of stress for so many students (myself included) so I completely understand where you are coming from.

I would advise you to read the similarity report and see where the system is highlighting that there is plagiarism. Sometimes it highlights similar articles that you have unintentionally cited and in those cases, it's a simple case of finding that paper and referencing them.

If there aren't any major referencing recommendations and it's simple words such as 'and', 'the' and 'is' that everyone uses sometimes the system decides to count them as plagiarism. In this case, there really isn't much you can do. I'd possibly recommend contacting your module lead and asking, once you've checked that everything is cited, and ask them if this score would be acceptable.

I know some universities don't fuss over turn-it-in scores too much as they can see themselves through similarity reports whether a student has plagiarised or whether it's common words that have bumped the score up.

I hope this puts your mind at ease and best of luck with your assignment!

Mary,
London South Bank University Student Rep (3rd-year Children's Nursing)
Reply 2
TurnItIn detects similarity, and similarity is not the same as plagiarism.

Usually high scores where things have been cited properly are not indicative of plagiarism at all. If you get set a piece of work and 50 of the class use the same 5 sources (this can be totally normal and appropriate), then it will flag high similarity.

32% is pretty reliably indivative of a derivative, run-of-the-mill, middling essay, but it is not necessarily indicative of anything else.

There's pretty much no point asking about it before the marks are released. The relevant feedback will come with the marking.
Reply 3
Original post by LSBU
Hi,

Turn-it-in can be the cause of a lot of stress for so many students (myself included) so I completely understand where you are coming from.

I would advise you to read the similarity report and see where the system is highlighting that there is plagiarism. Sometimes it highlights similar articles that you have unintentionally cited and in those cases, it's a simple case of finding that paper and referencing them.

If there aren't any major referencing recommendations and it's simple words such as 'and', 'the' and 'is' that everyone uses sometimes the system decides to count them as plagiarism. In this case, there really isn't much you can do. I'd possibly recommend contacting your module lead and asking, once you've checked that everything is cited, and ask them if this score would be acceptable.

I know some universities don't fuss over turn-it-in scores too much as they can see themselves through similarity reports whether a student has plagiarised or whether it's common words that have bumped the score up.

I hope this puts your mind at ease and best of luck with your assignment!

Mary,
London South Bank University Student Rep (3rd-year Children's Nursing)

Hello! I 're-wrote' some parts of my essay by paraphrasing and adding in more citations all over and got it down to 24% which is now green, although I heard my UNI finds 20% and below acceptable. I saw some references where it was like, as you said, and although I referenced the article where I got it from, there were other websites with precisely the same stuff written on it. But I am held back by the word limit for my essay, so I had to choose to either get rid of some of what I wrote for my main body essay and add in the references or ignore it. I chose the latter because I thought Turnitin was being annoying and unfair since I had already referenced the article and I did not want to waste words for more references.

I also based my essay around a popular topic so I thought that was the reason my essay was linked to several other UNI papers, but in the end I sent an email to my tutor to find some clarification.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending