The Student Room Group

3 mobile coverage

Does anyone know how good the network coverage of Three UK is in central Cambridge? The homepage claims it is impeccable but I do not really trust such self-promotion.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Bumbl
Does anyone know how good the network coverage of Three UK is in central Cambridge? The homepage claims it is impeccable but I do not really trust such self-promotion.

It's weak / non-existent in certain buildings. I also noticed that my battery life went down when I switched to 3 from O2, so it's probably weaker in general.
Reply 2
Original post by Zhen Lin
It's weak / non-existent in certain buildings. I also noticed that my battery life went down when I switched to 3 from O2, so it's probably weaker in general.

Hmm ok... Thank you for your answer.
Which college do you go to?

The shorter battery life might also have to do with the fact that 3 is 3G only which uses a lot more power than GSM. O2 should have a GSM fallback.

I thought of a 3 AT + 3 UK combo using dual sim as this would give me a quite cheap plan including unlimited internet access and unlimited calls home.
But if connectivity is bad it is not worth it as I always could use Skype (although it is a bit inconvenient).
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 3
3 isn't actually 3G only, it goes to 2G when it's in a bad signal area. It's a student town, I never had any problems in my visits there (been on 3 for yonks) - if there's signal problems, it's far more likely to be due to buildings and general problems rather than lack of coverage by 3. There was a time that 3 was rubbish for signal, but that was yearsssssss ago
I think all networks have difficulties with signal in Cambridge in certain buildings. I have noticed an improvement on Vodafone compared to O2 though.
Reply 5
Ok thank you guys, you helped me a lot.
There is absolutely no signal with three in west Cambridge. The signal was poor, but then completely vanished about the end of November. I'm stuck in a contract with three and have been complaining to them about this ever since - each time I talk to somebody different they give me a different story about what the problem is and when it will be solved.

I would say avoid starting a new contract with three if you're going to be in Cambridge, and especially if you're going to be at Queens', Darwin, Newnham or Selwyn as in those places you will have a significant walk to get any signal.

Anybody else in Cambridge who is on three with any information on whether they'll be sorting out their network any time soon?
Reply 7
Original post by toasted-lion
There is absolutely no signal with three in west Cambridge.
As someone who spends a lot of time in west Cambridge, this is not true in my experience.
Original post by Supermerp
As someone who spends a lot of time in west Cambridge, this is not true in my experience.

Whereabouts? All the other three users I know have the same problem.
Reply 9
Original post by toasted-lion
Whereabouts? All the other three users I know have the same problem.
The West Cambridge site and other places that I've tried to use it. I've had problems in some buildings but I think that those problems would be common to other mobile phone providers (I never got any signal with Orange in either Robinson College or the maths department, for example). Perhaps that is too far west for what you were discussing but I haven't noticed any major problems in other areas either.
Reply 10
I have problems inside queen's and peterhouse. I live next door to peterhouse and strangely enough, the signal's just fine...perhaps it's a building thing?
Reply 11
Ok thank you.
So it seems to depend where you are and whether you are indoors or not.

Are the other networks much better?
Reply 12
Original post by Bumbl
Ok thank you.
So it seems to depend where you are and whether you are indoors or not.

Are the other networks much better?
I have not noticed a decline in service from when I used Orange but things might be different now since Orange and T-Mobile merged.
Reply 13
3 coverage in Cambridge is generally pants
Reply 14
Generally very good. The only dead spot I've noticed is my room :frown:, but other networks have signal issues in the same building. West Cambridge can be a bit patchy, but I've also noticed this with other networks.

To be honest, all of the major phone networks seem to offer comparable coverage in Cambridge (i.e. very good). I was on O2 for a year, and Orange for about six months, and never had a problem with them. 3 has the better 3G coverage in my experience, so I've stuck with them for the last year.
For the last few days at least, I have been having trouble making calls and my texts aren't functioning properly. It takes about 10 attempts to establish a call, and that's if I get it to work at all. When I try ringing someone I get 3 beeps after a long pause and it cuts off. I can't even get through to 3 when I try.

As for my texts, nothings more annoying than not getting texts until hours after they've been sent, especially if your mobile is your only form of communication when your organising to meet someone. When I send texts, I get an error about network coverage for the first dozen times and eventually it might send.

This is incredibly annoying and it doesn't seem to be getting any better. Surely 3 are to blame? Are they not holding out their end of the contract I agreed to and therefore shouldn't I be able to cancel?

All help greatly appreciated!
:smile:
Just give an update as this thread is a top google hit. The 3 coverage free strip between Darwin and Pembroke college is still there. Mobile phone buyer beware!
Reply 17
Hi guys, when I was at Newnham for interviews my 3 network was dismal ...couldn't call anyone or text anyone and had to walk out of Newnham down the road to get service...can any Newnham girls tell me which network works the best????? Many thanks :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
Original post by Lizy
Hi guys, when I was at Newnham for interviews my 3 network was dismal ...couldn't call anyone or text anyone and had to walk out of Newnham down the road to get service...can any Newnham girls tell me which network works the best????? Many thanks :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm - obviously - not at Newnham, but I'm at Wolfson, which is for all intents and purposes right behind it.

Yep, 3 network SUCKS. T-mobile seems to work ok, personally I'm using giffgaff, which means the O2 network is pretty decent as well.
Reply 19
Hi there...I'm just wondering which is the best provider for Newnham Terrace behind Darwin College? I switched to 3 today and I have absolutely no coverage in the area!!! Some help would be much appreciated! Thank you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending