The Student Room Group

How can I enjoy or be good at Psychology?

I'm doing psychology at A2 and I am finding it really difficult. No matter how hard I seem to try I always slip up and do badly :frown: I really want to get good at Psychology because I enjoy class discussion but my written work is horrific. :eek:

For people who enjoy psychology why do you enjoy it? I need some motivation to spend lots of time studying.

For people who are good at Psychology, How do you personally study? I really need help with this.

I enjoy psychology because I find most of it interesting. when I say most of it I am excluding research methods :tongue:

Personally the way I revise is rewriting essays, perfecting them then learning them.
Reply 2
Do some reading around the subject. For example I found gender and relationships direly boring when just learning the theories, but when I did some reading around (e.g. about the twin who got brought up as a female after a botched op) I found more relevance and interest in learning the theories because you can then relate them to more interesting, real life topics

But as the above poster mentioned, research methods will always be boring regardless :frown:
And I also revise by summarising my essays into theories, studies, evaluation and synopticity then learning them

:smile:
Reply 3
i hate research methods but the rest of psych is pretty interesting... i was kinda rubbish at psych in the begining but i found that when i understood the structure for the essays it made it alot easier! and then the information that u learnt just flows through in that way..also if u do an essay and get ur teacher to mark it see what u can do to make it better and get ur teacher to chek it again. that really helped me! watching documentaries on stuff that u cover in psych makes it alot more interesting aswell :smile:
Reply 4
I love Psychology, I find it exciting and gather motivation to how much the subject can offer. To revise I usually use memory techniques such as the method of loci and then I take loads of notes, use revision cards etc... Keep all your notes precise and in one place so you can look over them too. I got 100% in the last exam (PSYA4). To get good grades you need to be able to critically evaluate, compare and recognise the limitations, advantages of approaches, research etc... Talk about determinism, reductionism, reliability, validity... things such as sample sizes, data gathering techniques, other possible confounding variables in research.

Try and compare and explain everything, it's all about essay technique.
Reply 5
I love psychology, and I find the best way to learn the material is to use what is given to me in class as well as looking at textbooks for my course, e.g. the course guide from the exam board, or Richard Gross' huge textbook.

I tend to write out the essays that could come up and learn them, putting my own thoughts into them as I go along so I'm not mindlessly copying out everything because apparently you need to make them more unique so they stand out to the examiner - they hate model answers I've heard! I get them marked, improve on them and then make revision notes based on them afterwards.

That's the way I learn, it's probably not the most exciting way to learn the material but it got me my A last year so it might work for you :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending