The Student Room Group

Can i apply for a degree completely unrelated to my access course?

i am currently 20 with no A levels and enrolled onto an access course ( Psychology and Education) and honestly, I'm not quite sure what i plan on doing in the future. I was planning on going progressing to uni for psychology/education and i did some research, nothing really in-depth and it was a seemingly good choice despite knowing how many people actually do psychology degrees and the low wages for entry positions i didn't truly understand. After talking to my college advisors and reading what others who have studied this in the past have to say im quite nervous about my prospects since the consensus is psychology at a bachelor level has practically no employability( i could be wrong of course but at the very least a doctorate is a requirement for too many related positions. All that said do i need to change my access course while i probably still can? is it possible to apply for unrelated degrees with just my ucas points if i do the Psych and Edu access? Should i avoid degrees like psychology where i wont make enough to offset the amount of time i put in? Am i overthinking or overreaching? do i need a degree at all? Not to sound so indecisive but with everything im being told and reading about unless i go into something i know i wouldn't enjoy nor do well at like Law or most STEM subjects i seem to be stuck. I would appreciate any advice if you understand or can relate to my situation
Reply 1
hey! my sister is currently doing psychology at uni and has told me that if she wants to be employed with it she'll need at least a master's. If you think getting a BA and then a master's is something you'd enjoy then go for psychology! but if not maybe look at other career avenues?

In terms of "can I do something unrelated to my access for degree", my understanding is that it kind of depends. I did an access for art and am doing on to do art at uni and my understanding is that if a course asks for say x amount of ucas points but no specific subjects then you're good to apply and do it if you meet the ucas point threshold (but bear in mind you'll need to explain why you want to do something different to the thing you did your access in, probably in your personal statement) but some specific degrees, usually technical/stem ones and very competitive ones, want you do have done specific subjects at either access or a-level. so it kinda depends!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending