The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
emilymckay90
Someone from my school bought cidar into school one day and was totally hammered for the whole day. If a teacher had tried to hit her, she would have simply hit the teacher back, given her a mouthful and then gone home.

Doubt the kid could of done much, after all if there hammered just trip them up :p:
Reply 81
hugatree
Isn't it against the law to not turn up? :confused: Until what age is school obligatory in the UK?

16. But the process of finding out why the person isn't going to school and doing something about it (either trying to get them back into school if they really do have problems or taking the person's parents to court) is very long... you could get away with having no education for ages.

--------------

MNBStyle
Doubt the kid could of done much, after all if there hammered just trip them up :p:

haha... well she'd have tried her best, and that's what counts!
Reply 82
emilymckay90
haha... well she'd have tried her best, and that's what counts!

Yeah and a face full of muddy foot prints for her troubles
Reply 83
MNBStyle
Yeah and a face full of muddy foot prints for her troubles

lol you don't know this girl... if that happened, she'd probably go back the next day when she was sober and kill the teachers. (The funny thing is, I'm not exaggerating!)
Reply 84
emilymckay90
16. But the process of finding out why the person isn't going to school and doing something about it (either trying to get them back into school if they really do have problems or taking the person's parents to court) is very long... you could get away with having no education for ages.

1: thanks
2: that's terrible :confused: kids should be grateful schools exist.
Reply 85
emilymckay90
lol you don't know this girl... if that happened, she'd probably go back the next day when she was sober and kill the teachers. (The funny thing is, I'm not exaggerating!)

Sweet girl then :p:
Reply 86
MNBStyle
Sweet girl then :p:

She's delightful, and I'm proud to have her in my tutor group :smile:
Reply 87
emilymckay90
She's delightful, and I'm proud to have her in my tutor group :smile:

While she sharpens knives and swords looking around like a maniac
Reply 88
MNBStyle
While she sharpens knives and swords looking around like a maniac

Well that just shows she has hobbies outside of school...
Reply 89
emilymckay90
Well that just shows she has hobbies outside of school...

Yes selling bread knives and then kitchen knives
Reply 90
MNBStyle
Yes selling bread knives and then kitchen knives

Exactly, and the drinking just proves she likes to have a good time and de-stress.
bodhisattva
Once again, as in so many other instances, it's no fault of the people themselves, is it. It's the school or society that's at fault. :rolleyes:

When I was at school, if I'd have been more interested in mugging elderly ladies, smashing windows, stealing, intimidating people - that would've been the school's fault?

Why not call it what it is. These people have failed themselves as they have no respect for others, no morals, care only for themselves, and treat authority with contempt.

If any blame is to be attached to anyone other than the disruptive element, it has to be the parents, although in a lot of cases, the parents have tried their damndest to bring their offspring up decently - and look how they're rewarded.

So clearly not an economist... *mutters* :wink:

Is behaviour a slippery slope where action must be taken in advance of 'anti-social behaviour'? I'd say no.

Make-up, short skirts and other 'broken rules' are a long way from actually harming other people and disrupting their lives.

When such harm and disruption happens, I still reckon eocnomic punishment and incarceration are a better way forward.

Would you still do misdemeanors if you faced short stints in what is effectively jail with solitary confinement?

You might not value education... but you may well value economic freedom (the ability to purchase what you want) and freedom itself.
Reply 92
President_Ben
1. So clearly not an economist... *mutters* :wink:

2. Is behaviour a slippery slope where action must be taken in advance of 'anti-social behaviour'? I'd say no.

3. Make-up, short skirts and other 'broken rules' are a long way from actually harming other people and disrupting their lives.

4. When such harm and disruption happens, I still reckon eocnomic punishment and incarceration are a better way forward.

5. Would you still do misdemeanors if you faced short stints in what is effectively jail with solitary confinement?

6. You might not value education... but you may well value economic freedom (the ability to purchase what you want) and freedom itself.

1. :wink:

2. The pre-emptive action is already in place in the form of school rules, laws et al.

3. There's a difference between following fashion and flouting authority and rules. I fully support the idea of individualism, although uniform regulations were strictly enforced at the school I attended, I see nothing wrong in allowing students to express their individuality in the way they dress, within reason. Wearing short skirts and makeup, imo, is perfectly acceptable.
With girls, that is. :wink:

4. I understand your point. However, supposing the parents of a disruptive element aren't in a position to address any economic sanctions imposed on them? Suppose they're tried their hardest to bring up their sprog in a well-adjusted way? You can't have one rule for one, and one rule for another.

5. Corporal punishment was never intended for "misdemeanours". It was, and still should be, a last resort. Detention was the commonly accepted punishment for "misdemeanours", although I doubt that they're taken very seriously nowadays.

6. I feel that too much emphasis is placed upon "economic" penalties. To facilitate such an option would entail an investigation into the parent's upbringing of the child. If the parents were found to be at fault, I'd agree that they should be held accountable. However, is it fair to fine parents who aren't at fault and have nothing? In this particular instance, I'd also agree with you that some form of incarceration is necessary, but certainly not a soft option with counsellors etc. Maybe a stint in the forces?
Reply 93
Bring back the cane, bring some disipline and respect back into schools. While we're at it bring back the death penalty and lock mentally ill criminals up, rant over
Reply 94
Battle Royal with the worse of 'em? Perhaps a bit extreme...given it's the parents that are entirely to blame.
Reply 95
There really is nothing wrong with corporal punishment, you have to learn one way or another, a small amount of controlled physical pain now has to be better than making huge mistakes in life because you were never taught whats right and wrong when you were young. Were not talking about abuse or anything were talking about a smacked bum or a few smacks of the slipper at school or whatever, that's called discipline not abuse.

I was smacked at home by my stepdad on quite a few occasions and although it was horrible at the time it did stop me from misbehaving afterwards...isn't that whats needed in schools?
emilymckay90
If they started doing that at my school, the people who miss behave would just not turn up.

well yay if they dont turn up it gives the good kids a chance to learn.
Yes indeed, I remember when the little buggers used to disrupt our lessons to hell and back.

One time, I grabbed one of them by the throat and choked him for a while. Everyone thought it was comical, even the fellow I was choking. Mind you, the vile monster eventually got kicked out for doing drugs in the toilets and punching a teacher in the face.
and I'm sure your choking him didnt disrupt at all. :-S
Reply 99
Lots of boys see violence as a natural way to be anyway, The cane might actually teach them that being hit hurts, some boys may only have hit others so it might be a learning experience for them.

Girls are less violent in general, I think some school just used the strap for girls. The strap was a leather belt which girls would be smacked on the bum with, it must have hurt like hell but it didn't leave the marks that the cane did. I think they should bring back the strap for girls, their was certanly some nasty girls at my school who could have done with being strapped by the headmaster....they were evil!

Latest

Trending

Trending