The Student Room Group

Passion projects for law

Hi, I’m a student that lives in the uk and i really want to start a passion project or extra curricular as i want to be a corporate lawyer when I’m older. I’m struggling to think of ideas. So can anyone help me think of some projects for corporate law? Thanks.
Original post by ibbyndow
Hi, I’m a student that lives in the uk and i really want to start a passion project or extra curricular as i want to be a corporate lawyer when I’m older. I’m struggling to think of ideas. So can anyone help me think of some projects for corporate law? Thanks.

Hi there,

First off, I absolutely love this idea! And this is such a good idea for when it comes to making applications for Law school as any experience or exposure to the legal industry is a bonus when it can be so hard to come by.

There is obviously a huge scope of possibilities here for ideas, I will leave some suggestions below to get you thinking...

Forage Virtual Internships are an amazing resource which businesses use run online internship projects which are completely free, take around 5-6 hours to complete, and can be done in your own time. Many large law firms have used this platform to create interactive and realistic days-in-the-life of lawyers varying from topics such as criminal defence to legal fintech. These courses are even more fab in that they can be added to your CV and LinkedIn page, allowing you to show real-life corporate experience as well as allowing you to connect with recruiters and pinpoint your career goals. See the following link for more on Forage - https://www.theforage.com/course-catalog/law

Something I got involved in myself was legal charity work. I volunteer with a socio-legal charity focussing on law and policy around violence against women and girls in the UK as an investigative writer. I found this opportunity on instagram where the charity was advertising for new writers to join their growing team of volunteers. This has been one of the things recruiters have brought up most frequently to me during interviews. This opportunity allowed me to see how the law operates in practice as opposed to the theory taught in law school, to apply my legal writing skills in a new way by taking an investigative approach into law and policy, and to gain practical skills needed when working within a team, to time-scales, and in fast-paced environments.

It may also be worth considering that your extra curriculars don't necessarily have to be law related... Many law applications like to see positions of leadership or examples of innovative thinking. These can come from a whole host of topic areas, such as being a captain of a sports team or starting a side-hustle making birthday cards. The opportunities here are truly endless and not to be ignored in light of 'preferable' legal experience.

I hope this might give you some ideas or inspiration!

Leah :smile:
UEA Law

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending