The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by do the sturridge
Hello all, in a few weeks time I am due an appointment with the orthodontist to discuss my underbite and a possible realignment of the jaw. I would like to know, how long the procedure takes, bearing in mind I have worn braces before and since taking them off a few years back my teeth have only moved slightly. Preferably I'd like to have the procedure done before I go university in September. Also I am insured on private health care so would they be quicker with the process? Finally, how much would the cost be, I am currently 18 years of age and will turn 19 in june.

Hi, I believe you have to have braces currently to have the procedure (I may be wrong) and I had only upper jaw surgery and my procedure took around 3 hours. Is it next year you're going to university? It was the recovery which was the hardest part, I'm over 8 weeks post op and still have slight swelling, but as I only had one jaw moved the recovery was a lot quicker and I felt comfortable seeing my close friends and family at around 3 weeks.
Original post by Angry Bird
how emotional has this experience been for you?

I dealt with it well, felt quite down about 4 days post op but now seeing the results I'm so so happy I had it
Original post by Kelseycharlish
Hi, I believe you have to have braces currently to have the procedure (I may be wrong) and I had only upper jaw surgery and my procedure took around 3 hours. Is it next year you're going to university? It was the recovery which was the hardest part, I'm over 8 weeks post op and still have slight swelling, but as I only had one jaw moved the recovery was a lot quicker and I felt comfortable seeing my close friends and family at around 3 weeks.

Oh okay, I have had braces before but the orthodontist was talking about having to have braces again but i don't know how long for considering my teeth have barely moved. And yes, in september I will be going to university
Oh okay, I have had braces before but the orthodontist was talking about having to have braces again but i don't know how long for considering my teeth have barely moved. And yes, in september I will be going to university

Yeah you will need them to attach the hooks needed for elastics. I had my surgery in July and start uni this week and I feel I've recovered enough
Yeah you will need them to attach the hooks needed for elastics. I had my surgery in July and start uni this week and I feel I've recovered enough

Will the operation be able to take place before september? and how much will it cost, i turn 19 in may
Will the operation be able to take place before september? and how much will it cost, i turn 19 in may

It should be able to, I received mine on the NHS so was free, I was told my date of surgery around 2/3 months before
I dealt with it well, felt quite down about 4 days post op but now seeing the results I'm so so happy I had it

you didn't cry or anything like that?
Original post by Angry Bird
you didn't cry or anything like that?

I think I did once, this was when I was really still swollen and I genuinely thought my face was always going to look like that
Reply 588
Hello all, in a few weeks time I am due an appointment with the orthodontist to discuss my underbite and a possible realignment of the jaw. I would like to know, how long the procedure takes, bearing in mind I have worn braces before and since taking them off a few years back my teeth have only moved slightly. Preferably I'd like to have the procedure done before I go university in September. Also I am insured on private health care so would they be quicker with the process? Finally, how much would the cost be, I am currently 18 years of age and will turn 19 in june.

You will definitely need to have braces again as they are used to align your teeth into their perfect post operative position (which is different to your current one, so you may feel your teeth become worse before the op) and they are also used to hold your jaw into position throughout the healing process via bands and elastics. They're usually on for 6
Months after surgery.

There is no guarantee it will be done before September as there is a lot of pre operative work involved from braces, X-rays, wafer fits and you may even need your wisdom teeth removed. Just because you've had braces before doesn't really mean you're any more 'ready' for a bimax as essentially orthodontic purpose braces and mallaxio purpose braces are very different as the aim isn't straight teeth, it's teeth that fit together after your jaw has moved. It is also very important to remember there are usually waiting lists for this surgery and the appointments involved as well, and on average the procedure takes 2 years with this in mind. ask your consultant for his estimated timeline at your appointment but understand there is likely to be delays. Mine was delayed 6 months at one point. You also don't normally get a set date until very close to surgery, mine was about a month prior (although I knew it would be around that time for quite a few months), but all this is based on the NHS so private may be different.
(edited 7 years ago)
I had surgery for an overbite on the NHS when i was 26! Ask me anything...😀 I am so glad i did it as i looked bloody awful before!! Plus my jaw clicked and i used to hold it forward as i was so paranoid about how bad it looked!
Even though i was 26 if was done free on the NHS due to the bad placement of my teeth. (I had a narrow bridge)
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Amber3645surf
I had surgery for an overbite on the NHS when i was 26! Ask me anything...😀 I am so glad i did it as i looked bloody awful before!! Plus my jaw clicked and i used to hold it forward as i was so paranoid about how bad it looked!
Even though i was 26 if was done free on the NHS due to the bad placement of my teeth. (I had a narrow bridge)

How long did you have to wear braces for?
Reply 591
Original post by Amber3645surf

Hi, I'm 25 and really need this surgery to change the quality of my life. I was just wondering how did you start this process off? Did you mention it to your dentist yourself? I'm worried due to my age I will not be offered it on the NHS. How bad was your bite and did they offer you the surgery straight away or was it after desperately persuading them?
Hey guys!

I just wanted to share my story about my Underbite Jaw Surgery which I had last year in September. Cutting the story short .. I want to the dentist for my normal check up and I mentioned my Underbite - he then referred me to the Maxi-facial Orthodontist. They did a check up and passed me over again to someone else.

Braces would have not fixed my Underbite so they mentioned the Jaw Surgery which Agreed to on the NHS. I still had my braces in when the Surgery date came up! I was nervous as I was going to be under general anaesthetic. I woke up finally - couldn't feel anything. Surgery was about 2-3 hours. My face was super swollen!!! I looked hilarious hahaha.

Anyway I was in NO pain at all!!!!! I couldn't feel anything for a few weeks. It took a long time for my swelling to go down - around 4 months to look normal again. I was able to eat rice after about 1 and half months.

It's been just over a year and I do still have a bit of numbness on my Chin bit it doesn't bother me.

Sorry for the vague description, if you have any questions I will be happy to answer :smile:
I'm in exactly the same boat as you! I visited an orthodontist at 16 about my overbite which at the time was 9mm. I have severe trauma to the roof of my mouth due to my teeth digging in. I get constant headaches, jaw ache, My jaw clicks, I bite my incisive papilla (the little lump at the back of your front teeth), I struggle breathing at night and I'm so paranoid about my teeth it's unreal. I was told at the time that my only option was to have jaw surgery and I couldn't have a brace, oh and apparently surgery could leave me with a flappy lip, so of course at 16 already having suffered horrendous bullying throughout school I declined. Now I'm 20 my overbite is now 11mm due to my wisdom teeth coming through. I visited my dentist last week regarding this issue and I was told because I declined surgery at 16 I would have to go private (probably costing me up to £2,000 and the rest). How they can expect a 16 year old to make such a life changing decision is beyond me. Anyway, my mum contacted NHS England, she knows exactly how much trouble I've had due to my overbite. They told her that your dentist might not tell you this but there is something called an IFR, which is an individual funding request that your dentist can put through to the NHS if they think your case is serious enough. I contacted my dentist and explained this to them and they said they will put a referral through for me. Within hours i was accepted for NHS treatment! And they even have a referral tracker. Now I need to point out that it is your othadontist who will decide whether you meet the criteria or not, but even being accepted for an orthodontist appointment at 20 is a bonus for me. I'm now on a waiting list which could take up to 12 month unless it's a medical issue (which mine is). So I'm just waiting with my fingers tightly crossed. It's going to be a long process, but it's a step in the right direction. Good luck and I hope this helps!
Original post by wonderlandxo
Hey guys!

I just wanted to share my story about my Underbite Jaw Surgery which I had last year in September. Cutting the story short .. I want to the dentist for my normal check up and I mentioned my Underbite - he then referred me to the Maxi-facial Orthodontist. They did a check up and passed me over again to someone else.

Braces would have not fixed my Underbite so they mentioned the Jaw Surgery which Agreed to on the NHS. I still had my braces in when the Surgery date came up! I was nervous as I was going to be under general anaesthetic. I woke up finally - couldn't feel anything. Surgery was about 2-3 hours. My face was super swollen!!! I looked hilarious hahaha.

Anyway I was in NO pain at all!!!!! I couldn't feel anything for a few weeks. It took a long time for my swelling to go down - around 4 months to look normal again. I was able to eat rice after about 1 and half months.

It's been just over a year and I do still have a bit of numbness on my Chin bit it doesn't bother me.

Sorry for the vague description, if you have any questions I will be happy to answer :smile:

Hi,

Once you had your brace work all sorted, What was the process after that. How long was the wait between then and your jaw surgery?

Original post by hazukasad
Hi,

Once you had your brace work all sorted, What was the process after that. How long was the wait between then and your jaw surgery?

Hey :smile:

So then I got my braces in 2 weeks after my first appointment.

I waited about 8 months (they left them in) then they told me in 1 months time you're going to have you jaw surgery.

After the jaw surgery I had my braces taken out a month later :smile:
Hi I saw your post and thought that I had to reply as I have myself been through it as back when i was a teenager my dentist told me that I had a overbite and I didn't like my appearance because of jaw I had to wait until I was 18 I had my braces fitted what wasn't so bad and in 2009 I had my op and I don't regret having it done it was definitely worth it, to be fair there was a lot of swelling in my face due from the op, I would of uploaded a picture but it won't let me of the swelling and I was drinking these milkshake weight gainers so I didn't lose weight and because of the op I had to have 10 weeks off work to recover. So it is definitely something to think about it. I have to put this in as well you wouldn't be able to speak for a bit cause after the op you have little hooks on your braces where they give you little bands so that keeps your jaw in one place while it is healing what was a bit painful.
Reply 597
I think I have a underbite myself and I been wondering for so long now: if one has underbite ( lower jaw infront of upperteeth ) can u still pull lowerjaw back behind uppertheeth naturally like, really easy?My dentist says its all good but I would rather have my lowerjaw infront when im not for example eating and such because its easier to breeath and I can sit with a better pos.really appriciate all answers.I dont wanna create a new discussion.
Reply 598
I think I have a underbite myself and I been wondering for so long now: if one has underbite ( lower jaw infront of upperteeth ) can u still pull lowerjaw back behind uppertheeth naturally like, really easy? cuz I can pull it like crazy around and my jawline dont gets seen if I dont pull it infront

My dentist says its all good but I would rather have my lowerjaw infront when im not for example eating and such because its easier to breeath and I can sit with a better pos.

really appriciate all answers.¨

I dont wanna create a new discussion.
Hi
I've been following/reading through this thread for a year or so now as my son was due to have his under bite sorted out between A levels and uni. That time has come and he had the op on Friday and is now home and recovering. He had an under bite of 9mm which looks to have been totally corrected and successful albeit with a lot of swelling, some bloody nostrils and a lot of regular pain relief at this point.
He has been seeing an orthodontic for nearly 8 years and had various teeth removed including wisdom and canines along with chains and fixed braces - its been a long haul. There have been times when the orthodontist and surgeons have said he may need both jaws moving (one back and one forward) but they settled on moving the top jaw forward. The indecision was because he was still growing and it was hard to tell how he was going to grow hence the reason for waiting till he was 18 to do the surgery. So I suppose, in answer to your query, it depends what they do as to what point you are at once fully grown (you don't mention your age).
There was also an offer over the last 6 months ago of a little chin filler if needed but it was decided it was unnecessary at this point but still available to him in 6 months time if he feels the need! Hope that helps.
(edited 6 years ago)

Latest