The Student Room Group

Dentistry as a second degree funding

Hi SFE,

I have completed my BSc in neuroscience and have received an offer for undergraduate BDS so a 5 year course. Can I ask about what funding I could receive either from NHS or SFE please
Original post by kenice
Hi SFE,
I have completed my BSc in neuroscience and have received an offer for undergraduate BDS so a 5 year course. Can I ask about what funding I could receive either from NHS or SFE please
Hi

can you confirm the full course and university you wish to study this through? When is it starting? Would it be full time or part time?

Thanks,
Claire
Reply 2
Original post by Claire SFE
Hi
can you confirm the full course and university you wish to study this through? When is it starting? Would it be full time or part time?
Thanks,
Claire
Yes, it’s and undergraduate BDS at uni of Plymouth and I would be studying full time?
Reply 3
Original post by Claire SFE
Hi
Thanks,
Claire
Starts in September
Original post by kenice
Starts in September

Hi there,

Can you please confirm the full name of the course? It's just so we can check this on our database.

Thanks, Graeme
Reply 5
Original post by Graeme SFE
Hi there,
Can you please confirm the full name of the course? It's just so we can check this on our database.
Thanks, Graeme
Bachelor of dental surgery
Original post by kenice
Bachelor of dental surgery
Thanks - Graduate Entry Dentistry is an exception, so you can get funding regardless of your previous study.

This is how it works.

Tuition Fee Loan:

Year 1 You will have to self fund the first £3,465, however a tuition fee loan will be availabl
Ye for the remainder of up to £5,785.

Years 2-4 - The first £3,715 will be paid by the Department of Health and a tuition fee loan will be available for the remainder of up to £5,535.

Maintenance Loan:

Year 1 - you can apply for a full means tested Maintenance Loan and supplementary grants

Years 2-4 - you can apply for the Income Assessed NHS Bursary and supplementary grants from the NHS. You can apply to us for a Reduced Rate Maintenance Loan.

Thanks, Graeme
Reply 7
Original post by Graeme SFE
Thanks - Graduate Entry Dentistry is an exception, so you can get funding regardless of your previous study.
This is how it works.
Tuition Fee Loan:
Year 1 You will have to self fund the first £3,465, however a tuition fee loan will be availabl
Ye for the remainder of up to £5,785.
Years 2-4 - The first £3,715 will be paid by the Department of Health and a tuition fee loan will be available for the remainder of up to £5,535.
Maintenance Loan:
Year 1 - you can apply for a full means tested Maintenance Loan and supplementary grants
Years 2-4 - you can apply for the Income Assessed NHS Bursary and supplementary grants from the NHS. You can apply to us for a Reduced Rate Maintenance Loan.
Thanks, Graeme
I think you have misunderstood me I am studying bachelor or dental surgery 5 year undergraduate course at the University of Plymouth. This is not a graduate scheme does this change the funding I could receive??
Hi Kenice,

Thank you for confirming. Usually a student would not be entitled to further core funding if they already hold a degree and wish to study another. However, students who already hold an equal level qualification will be eligible for maintenance support only (maintenance loan as well as supplementary grants and/or DSA where applicable for this course type.

Thanks, Clare
Reply 9
Original post by SFE Clare
Hi Kenice,
Thank you for confirming. Usually a student would not be entitled to further core funding if they already hold a degree and wish to study another. However, students who already hold an equal level qualification will be eligible for maintenance support only (maintenance loan as well as supplementary grants and/or DSA where applicable for this course type.
Thanks, Clare
So would that mean I am not eligible for any of the NHS funding as well??
Hi kenice,

Correct, that would only be if you were attending a graduate entry course.

Thanks, Clare
Reply 11
Hi kenice,
Correct, that would only be if you were attending a graduate entry course.
Thanks, Clare
I thought I might have been entitled to some NHS bursary in my final year as I have not received any NHS bursaries for my undergraduate. This would be the tuition bursary that all students can receive if studying dentistry or medicine.
Please correct me if I’m wrong
Hi Kenis,

The undergraduate course would attract SFE funding, however, you can speak to the financial department at the university to confirm if there is any additional NHS support, they would be able to confirm that for you.

Thanks, Clare
Reply 13
Hi Kenis,
The undergraduate course would attract SFE funding, however, you can speak to the financial department at the university to confirm if there is any additional NHS support, they would be able to confirm that for you.
Thanks, Clare
Thank you
Original post by kenice
Thank you
You are welcome. Any further queries, please let us know. Thanks ,Ross

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending