The Student Room Group

Wonky glasses?!

Hi all, I've recently noticed that one of my pairs of glasses has developed a very wonky right arm and another has developed a slightly wonky right arm. I think this is down to the slight pressure of the case on that arm over the space of a couple of years. Since both are out of warranty by about a year but were expensive and nice enough for me to want to sort out, I just wanted to ask -

1) Do all glasses develop this problem to some extent? I find it interesting that both of the pairs of mine which have it are half-rimmed, whereas the two pairs which don't have it are both full frames. (And before anybody says that I have too many pairs of glasses, they're all different prescriptions because I stocked up on Specsavers 2 for 1 deals while I was still young enough to qualify for NHS vouchers, with a view to changing the lenses periodically.)

2) Do you have any recommendations for sorting them out (either myself, or by taking them somewhere)? The most wonky pair has plastic arms, so I was thinking of heating them over the steam of a kettle and then just bending... The other I will probably live with as it's less obvious and they're more fragile. I've been thinking of going back to Specsavers but since they're far outside of warranty I doubt they'll do much!

Thanks in advance :smile:
Reply 1
When I took mine into Specsavers the guy was fine and did it without even asking me how long I'd had them or anything (I have half rims as well). Try that before DIY!
never had this issue :/

i'd just take them back to my opticians and they'd most likely sort it out for free. not sure if specsavers would do that though
Original post by MsAnnThropic
Hi all, I've recently noticed that one of my pairs of glasses has developed a very wonky right arm and another has developed a slightly wonky right arm. I think this is down to the slight pressure of the case on that arm over the space of a couple of years. Since both are out of warranty by about a year but were expensive and nice enough for me to want to sort out, I just wanted to ask -

1) Do all glasses develop this problem to some extent? I find it interesting that both of the pairs of mine which have it are half-rimmed, whereas the two pairs which don't have it are both full frames. (And before anybody says that I have too many pairs of glasses, they're all different prescriptions because I stocked up on Specsavers 2 for 1 deals while I was still young enough to qualify for NHS vouchers, with a view to changing the lenses periodically.)

2) Do you have any recommendations for sorting them out (either myself, or by taking them somewhere)? The most wonky pair has plastic arms, so I was thinking of heating them over the steam of a kettle and then just bending... The other I will probably live with as it's less obvious and they're more fragile. I've been thinking of going back to Specsavers but since they're far outside of warranty I doubt they'll do much!

Thanks in advance :smile:

I've not had the problem with full frame glasses, but I haven't had half-rimmed so can't really say. I would begin by going to Specsavers first. Some opticians do offer free repairs so go in and ask them. Also, if you know others who have had free repairs, tell them this if they refuse you free repairs. It worked for a friend of mine.
Reply 4
The kettle trick is the way to do it, but most opticians, particularly the smaller ones, will do simple things like that or replacing screws etc. without charging you. They hope that you will be so impressed that you'll come back next time you need new specs.
Reply 5
Original post by Ice_Queen
When I took mine into Specsavers the guy was fine and did it without even asking me how long I'd had them or anything (I have half rims as well). Try that before DIY!

Oh wonderful, thank you! Was it a Coventry Specsavers (based on your current location)? I just ask because I'll be passing through Cov this Saturday on my way home and could stop off on the way if the staff there are likely to be helpful :smile:.
Reply 6
Mine always get really wonky, and I have no idea how.

I just take them to specsavers and they do one the spot, without questions :smile: and for free :smile: I didnt even get them from there :P
Reply 7
Thank you all, I'm feeling a bit more optimistic now! :smile:
Reply 8
This always happens to me! I would definitely say change the case if you think that's the cause. Also, they don't need replacing, you can just take them to be adjusted; even if they are outside of warranty, Specsavers could do a quick adjustement there and then... no harm in trying, right?

Don't do the kettle thing please! You'll probably make it worse :wink: If all else fails, where one of your other pairs. :cookie:
Reply 9
Original post by -kit-kat-
Mine always get really wonky, and I have no idea how.

I just take them to specsavers and they do one the spot, without questions :smile: and for free :smile: I didnt even get them from there :P

That's pretty nice of them, good to know! Did you happen to see what they actually did to fix them, by the way? I'm really curious now, I've been fiddling with mine for over a week and can't make even the slightest change to them (for better or worse)! :redface:
Reply 10
Original post by Evielee_17
This always happens to me! I would definitely say change the case if you think that's the cause. Also, they don't need replacing, you can just take them to be adjusted; even if they are outside of warranty, Specsavers could do a quick adjustement there and then... no harm in trying, right?

Don't do the kettle thing please! You'll probably make it worse :wink: If all else fails, where one of your other pairs. :cookie:

Wow, I had no idea it was such a common problem! I definitely will be changing the case, the annoying thing is that the most bent pair came with a posh designer case which I now realise is definitely too small for them! Thanks very much, I'll rep you tomorrow when TSR refreshes my "allowance" thing :biggrin:.
Reply 11
That's pretty nice of them, good to know! Did you happen to see what they actually did to fix them, by the way? I'm really curious now, I've been fiddling with mine for over a week and can't make even the slightest change to them (for better or worse)! :redface:

They sort of bent the arms where they join the front bit where the lenses are, and also moved the bend which goes round your ears....if that makes sense. Ive been in so many times to have them sorted, and they dont bat an eyelid...its very common.
I also had a problem where they kept sort of falling down my nose :rolleyes: i went in and they replaced the nose pads which made them so much better :smile:
Reply 12
Oh cool, thank you for explaining! I'll take them in tomorrow since it sounds like such a quick-and-painless thing to do, the only other pair in my current prescription have Reactions lenses so I feel like a bit of a plonker wearing them outside in the very overcast weather we're having at the moment! :redface:
Reply 13
I managed to get the lens put back into my glasses after it fell out whilst on a school trip in Germany- No charge or anything.

Just go to your optician, tell them that the glasses are wonky and they should just fix it for you no probs.
Oh wonderful, thank you! Was it a Coventry Specsavers (based on your current location)? I just ask because I'll be passing through Cov this Saturday on my way home and could stop off on the way if the staff there are likely to be helpful :smile:.

Yes it is :smile: City centre.
Reply 15
Oh wonderful, nice and easy to find then! Thank you very much :smile:.

Quick Reply

Latest