The Student Room Group
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website

What kind of students attend Royal Holloway?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by MsRedFoxx
O.O

Somebody please tell me that Royal Holloway isn't too bad.

I just firmed it and need some sort of reassurance.

Isn't too bad in which respect?
Founders Building, Royal Holloway
Royal Holloway
Egham
Visit website
Reply 21
In that its a sh**hole.
Reply 22
O.O

It's not, it's great :biggrin:
Reply 23
In that its a sh**hole.

No its not a ****hole
Original post by Zynx
I go there (first year), it's by far one of the worst institutions I've had the misfortune of having had an experience of.

You get a FEW 'rahs' but only very few. As said above, you get quite a lot of southern and east asians. The south asian lads trying to play gangster with their 'pimped out' cars driving on campus as if they're part of some drive-by shooting or something. They're often speaking english remixed with a bit of their own indian/pakistani language.

East asians keep to themselves, they look visually wealthy...very fashionable and 'chic'.

You have quite a few 'lads', or at least guys who think they are. There's a bit of a pub culture at RHUL because that's all there is, pubs...so you'll have people going for a pint rather than a frappuccino at Starbucks like in central london unis.

The most irritating type of people of course are the brain dead morons who have little to no intellect and poor grades who got in through clearing. Every year just about every RH department is in clearing and the requirement is dropped down to ridiculous levels.

I was offered AAB for Physics, got it and accepted. On results day they put the same course on for clearing with requirement of 200 UCAS POINTS! With at least a C in maths and physics :dry: So now I have the most stupid people (at least HALF!) on my course. The same goes for many of the departments.

So you have these dumbass kids running around who act like they're so clever because they're in a 'UoL' uni even though have the poorest qualifications and no real interest in academia.

Campus shop is the biggest rip-off in the world. Expect to pay twice as much for things. Although of course you can always choose not to shop from there...except YOU CAN'T! Because not only will you have to go up and down a mountainous incline for miles to actually get out of the campus, but you won't find any off-license shops for at least a 10-20 minute walk.

I decided to leave after 2 weeks of being there, re-applied through UCAS and now I've got a place at UCL. I've just about managed to complete the year without becoming suicidal.

Oh and btw if you go on open days/department visits...don't let them fool you when they take you to the newer buildings and lecture halls. Ask current students of your course where majority of lectures are actually held and then find your way to see those rooms for yourself. 95% of the campus is a hole, hardly anything happens in Founders building and Windsor building has some lectures if you're lucky!

Also the library is a disgrace, by far the poorest of all the UoL unis. The good thing is, as part of a UoL student you can use the facilities of the central london unis too. So if you're not finding the quality of books you need you can always go to UCL or KCL library.

Why would they have the founders building and not use it? And is the Economics department good?
Reply 25
everybody please listen to ZYNX. everything they have said is true. i went to rhul for a year and it is one of the most boring, depressing, dirty places i have every lived. it is NOT in london but still it's overpriced and all the lciques are based on ethnicity.

please go somewhere else.
Reply 26
Zynx: "mountainous incline" Egham hill is not mountainous and if you are too much of a wimp for it go out the back gate or even take the bus. We're not talking san fransisco type hills here.
Off-license: Well you must walk slowly then because Ruby wines is not 10 minutes away
Reply 27
Original post by sidoraH
everybody please listen to ZYNX. everything they have said is true. i went to rhul for a year and it is one of the most boring, depressing, dirty places i have every lived. it is NOT in london but still it's overpriced and all the lciques are based on ethnicity.

please go somewhere else.

How is it dirty? Its not like its covered in rubish, puke and rats.
Boring: I'm sorry but most of the time if you are bored it is down to you. Oooh no it doesn't have 12 huge clubs and masses of shops on the doorstep it must dull as hell.
No its not in london but its in surrey...surrey is overpriced. Its not like everywhere outside london is uber cheap bargain central.
Cliques: Not really. If that were true i'd only have white friends. Ok some of the international student hang around in nationality groups but a) that's not all of them and b) nobody else does
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 28
Original post by HistoryRepeating
There are loads of judgemental pidgeonholing cocks, you'll fit right in.

How did you come to that insightful conclusion?
Reply 29
O.O

Royal Holloway is exactly like every single other university on this entire planet in the following aspects:

1. Royal Holloway has certain qualities, for example its location, its accommodation, the fact that it's campus based, its age, its teaching quality...And so forth.

2. Some people like these qualities. For example, some like that it's not in the centre of the city, some think that the quality of accommodation is very good, some like the bubble of the campus, some like the mix of old and new buildings, some think that the teaching quality in their own department is good.

3. Some people don't like these qualities. For example, they may find it quiet and boring, they may think the accommodation is over-priced or of poor quality, they may find the campus claustrophobic, they might not like either the new or older buildings, they might think that the teaching quality in their department is rubbish.

My point is, that if YOU want what Royal Holloway offers, you're more than likely to be happy there.

However, if you do not want what Royal Holloway offers, or you are under any false impressions about what it actually does offer ("it's in the centre of London, right?") then there's a higher chance that you'll be unhappy. Unfortunately, it does happen sometimes, and as you can see there are people here who have found that what they expected Royal Holloway to be like is very different from the reality.

I'm someone who visited Royal Holloway several times before coming to the university, and I also had a very set list of requirements that I wanted when applying to university (so I didn't apply to any large, city based universities as I wanted to be in the country, I definitely wanted it to be a campus, I wanted to go to a good psychology department, etc.) Now I've almost completed my first year, and am I happy with how it's been so far? Yes, very much so!

Some may say that it's not as cut and dry as this, and yes, in many instances, it is not. I know a girl who dropped out within three weeks, not because she disliked Royal Holloway per se, but because she disliked being away from home, and I have a feeling that that would have been the case no matter what university she attended.

The point that I'm making is that university is such an individual choice...No one else can dictate whether a university is 'good' or not in terms of its lifestyle and experiences. All anyone can (or should, but of course people are always likely to state their opinions, as I have done myself in the past) do is state the facts and then potential students should decide whether or not that's what they're looking for.

Sorry, this wasn't all completely directed at your post, MsRedFoxx, but was just a general reply to this thread.

And as for the kind of students that attend Royal Holloway? From my experiences, the vast majority are happy and friendly.
Reply 30
O.O

Believe me, it is FAR from bad.

I'll admit, a few of the complaints made here (small library compared to number of students, expensive area) are valid. However every university has downsides to it, even the best ones depending on a person's tastes. If you come here expecting amazing nightlife and city experiences equivalent to London or Manchester, then it is NOT the place for you.

But if you appreciate the quiet local area and a well-renowned institution for study and are willing to make an effort in accepting the place for what it is then it definitely worth it. Note that for every 1 student dropping out because they hate it there or for other reasons there are roughly 100 more who are loving it here regardless of its weaknesses. Take complaints with a pinch of salt. :wavey:
Reply 31
Ah okay :smile: I'm just a little nervous about it because I haven't actually been down to the Uni before and it is my only choice (due to a major change in subject I had to reject Warwick and Nottingham and choose Holloway as it was the only place that would take me this late on).

The main thing I want from a university is for it to be a campus uni seperated from the world in its own little bubble with amazing buildings and a few great places to have a few drinks with mates (though I am not a huge fan of pubs). I also seriously dislike the idea of 'race cliques' or a huge majority of solely one type of people (e.g. whites, blacks, asians).

From what I initially heard about Royal Holloway was that it was all these things but having read all the negative comments on the first page I got a bit nervous.

Could I also just ask what the society's are like as I want to join a rowing and drama sociey :smile:
Reply 32
Could I also just ask what the society's are like as I want to join a rowing and drama sociey :smile:

I can answer the DramaSoc question! There are 4 main drama societies on campus - DramaSoc (plays etc), Holloway Players (improvised comedy), MTS - Musical Theatre Society (needs no explanation), Savoy Opera Society (opera such as the Bacchai) Every other week theres a different show going on, either in the main students union hall or in a smaller venue known as Jane Holloway Hall.

Some of the shows produced are of exceptional quality (some not as good quality) Theres loads of ways to get involved whether on stage or off including shading experienced members of the production team if your in your first year (although you can hold the full role too) - they all recruit at the freshers fayre but as somebody who's worked on several shows i can tell you that there all good fun. Thankfully we dont have too many of the "arrogant" acting sort and they do some good socials.

As for rowing, we're close to Henley which is arguably the rowing capital of Britain. I know a few people who are part of thw rowing club but I'll let someone else give you accurate info about it!
Reply 33
^Thankyou so much for the information :smile: I am very much less nervous about going to RH now that I kno there are good Drama Societies :biggrin: What kind of plays has the DramaSoc done?
Reply 34
^Thankyou so much for the information :smile: I am very much less nervous about going to RH now that I kno there are good Drama Societies :biggrin: What kind of plays has the DramaSoc done?

They usually do 4 a year. The most recent was "Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are Dead" The next is "Comedy of Errors" which is the outdoor production in the founders south quad.

Other shows they've done include Alice in Wonderland (all in UV), Ripen our darkness, how to disappear completely and never be found. Thats all I can remember off the top of my head. They also take a show up to the Edinburgh Fringe each year.

MTS's shows have recently included Return to the Forbidden Planet, Guys and Dolls, Spring Awakening, Into the Woods and several "variety" shows.
Original post by llacerta

2. Some people like these qualities. For example, some like that it's not in the centre of the city, some think that the quality of accommodation is very good, some like the bubble of the campus, some like the mix of old and new buildings, some think that the teaching quality in their own department is good.

3. Some people don't like these qualities. For example, they may find it quiet and boring, they may think the accommodation is over-priced or of poor quality, they may find the campus claustrophobic, they might not like either the new or older buildings, they might think that the teaching quality in their department is rubbish.

All this can be solved by going on an open day. I, rather tragically, lived at home this year but am thankfully getting a house with some friends for the second year. Personally I find it relaxing to be able to attend a university where the environment is so calm. Some say that they would rather live in proximity to the city where all the night life is, but really that isn't the RHUL 'culture'.

As someone mentioned, RHUL is more geared towards the laid-back, have-a-pimms-in-the-quad type (one of the many joys to be had, providing it is sunny). I have a theory that because RHUL is relatively closed off compared to other unis, such as LSE, the community is much more likely to converge on itself. That is, people are all in the same boat when they arrive and you bond over the lack of things to do (don't take that as a negative), whereas city students often have their own pre-established friendship groups and will happily trot off; thus it becomes less of a sociable environment.

I find that there are a lot of South East Asians and perhaps some do conform to the typical 'International Student Stereotype' (Google the UCLA Asian Rant for reference) and BEING ASIAN, it can sometimes be frustrating that I see other people perpetuating the very character that makes people irritated. However, I do not drive a Porsche. I do not have rich parents. I do not shop at Harrods/ Selfridges/ Harvey Nichols and then subsequently parade the, essentially plastic, shopping bag infront of my fellow peers, nor do I lug my library books around in a Louis Vuitton tote.. therefore if I (we) have convinced you that your RHUL decision was correct: let's go for a pint at Monkey's :wink: (you'll know what it is when you arrive).

Also.... Llacerta.... first year psychology undergrad..... do you know Samiya/ Charice? :O
Egham also has a Budgens. A lot of people seem to be forgetting that. The area around Budgens is one of the most picturesque in London.
Reply 37
Original post by Kafka is magic
Egham also has a Budgens. A lot of people seem to be forgetting that. The area around Budgens is one of the most picturesque in London.

That's literally the reason I chose to go to Royal Holloway over my other offers. I wasn't sure at first, but then when I visited Egham and saw that Budgens...Mind-blowing.
Reply 38
Original post by Kafka is magic

A Budgens that does Syrup sponge Ice cream might I add! Truly the food of the gods.
Reply 39
Original post by LizB
A Budgens that does Syrup sponge Ice cream might I add! Truly the food of the gods.

And cans of Cherry 7up for only 54p (or something very close to that)

That place is a godsend for the late night munchies :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending