The Student Room Group

Study Abroad in Europe

I want to take part in the ERASMUS scheme.. but I don't know the language of the country I want to go to. Do I really need to know it to be able to study there :frown: and can I only go to a university that my uni is partnered with for study abroad?

I guess I would be going in my third year (if I do apply for it), as I'm in my first atm and applications to go in my second year are probably closed..

Also, does anyone know if you still receive your normal student loans funding whilst studying abroad? (I did consider N.America as I thought that would provide less of a language barrier, but I didn't apply at the time because I thought that I won't receive any funding and would have to pay for it all off of my own back :frown:)
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 1
Which country is it that you would like to go to?

You will find that in some European countries some modules are taught in English.
Have a look at Sweden, Norway, Denmark and the Netherlands!
Reply 2
Original post by Apollonia
Which country is it that you would like to go to?

You will find that in some European countries some modules are taught in English.
Have a look at Sweden, Norway, Denmark and the Netherlands!

Somewhere like France or Italy would be my preference but I understand that may not be possible :frown:

Original post by *Johanna*
Well for studying you won't really need the language if you get the courses taught in English. What area of study are you in ? Cause most courses taught in English are in the Business Studies area ....

For living in a foreign country for a year you should deffinately know some of the language and you still have time to learn the basics

Don't know about the other questions :wink:

I'm studying English Lit. The best place for a lit degree taught in English would probably be N. America imo (out of the erasmus scheme but my uni still offers it).. and it's not for a year that I wish to go, just a semester :smile: Thanks!
Reply 3
Original post by mel0n
I want to take part in the ERASMUS scheme.. but I don't know the language of the country I want to go to. Do I really need to know it to be able to study there :frown: and can I only go to a university that my uni is partnered with for study abroad?

I guess I would be going in my third year (if I do apply for it), as I'm in my first atm and applications to go in my second year are probably closed..

Also, does anyone know if you still receive your normal student loans funding whilst studying abroad? (I did consider N.America as I thought that would provide less of a language barrier, but I didn't apply at the time because I thought that I won't receive any funding and would have to pay for it all off of my own back :frown:)

Am going to Prague for a semester on erasmus! some unis have modules taught in english but the only ones my uni offered were in sweden and czech republic (for law)! You get an additional 250 euros for each month your out there, from the EU commission who run Erasmus and you get your entitled loan as you usually would! but i think it all gets paid in at once at the start! And you can only go to a partner uni, as its essentially a foreign exchange scheme, as both unis would have an agreed number of students they will swap! In addition the courses have to be suitable to your final outcome degree.
Reply 4
Original post by LALA LAND
Am going to Prague for a semester on erasmus! some unis have modules taught in english but the only ones my uni offered were in sweden and czech republic (for law)! You get an additional 250 euros for each month your out there, from the EU commission who run Erasmus and you get your entitled loan as you usually would! but i think it all gets paid in at once at the start! And you can only go to a partner uni, as its essentially a foreign exchange scheme, as both unis would have an agreed number of students they will swap! In addition the courses have to be suitable to your final outcome degree.

Thanks :dancing: I'll take this into account.. Do you know if you get your entitled loan if you go to N. America too? I'm just worried that nowhere in Europe that I can apply to will teach Literature in English.. because they'd most likely be teaching literature from their own country and thus wouldn't necessarily need English :s-smilie:
Reply 5
I can't speak for Italy, but it will be difficult for you to find modules in English in France.

You will find Literature courses taught in English in Scandinavia, probably also in the Netherlands.

Original post by mel0n
Somewhere like France or Italy would be my preference but I understand that may not be possible :frown:

I'm studying English Lit. The best place for a lit degree taught in English would probably be N. America imo (out of the erasmus scheme but my uni still offers it).. and it's not for a year that I wish to go, just a semester :smile: Thanks!
Reply 6
No I don't know any German :frown: I'm learning some French but definitely not enough to be taught a course in French! My best bet would probably be N. America but it's more costly + less support afaik!

And thanks for the info! I'll have a look at Netherlands and Scandinavia !
Reply 7
What about going to Italy / France this summer and learn the language right ? Of course u can't learn perfect French / Italian but it's a beginning .

Maybe u should just scan through the list of ur university's partners and see which uni offers courses in English.

I have had French for 7 years now and I don't think I would be able to go to Uni in France, those ppl speak way too fast :biggrin:

Because it'd cost a lot living there over the summer :afraid: I'd probably be using up funds that I could save towards going there for studies.. I'm learning a bit of French at the moment but I won't be up to conversational level any time soon which is what I'd need to be able to handle lectures in French :o: And thanks :p: I am going to speak to the study abroad coordinator as soon as I get a chance but I just wanted to ask on here too!
Reply 8
:smile: Then a workcamp would be a good idea cause it nearly costs nothing. That's what Im planning on doing this summer to improve my French :-)

Good luck for you !

What is a work camp? :colondollar:

thanks and good luck to you too!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending