The Student Room Group
Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website

Is reading university good for law

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
cardiff is actually not the best choice... i was in a similar position with offers from cardiff leicester reading exeter and liverpool...so i emailed some magic circle firms (a fair few) and asked them if they have a preferred list...the response was tht although they do not discriminate choice of university(of which they do :smile: ) they actively recruit from a select number of unis and outside of these universities reduces your likelihood of gaining an interview...on my list exeter was the most popular then liverpool and now and then leicester did actually pop up but cardiff and reading rarely came up as a prefered uni...i hope this helps abit...all im saying is that reading is very strong reserve and you are likely to get a job as a solicitor in a regional firm
Student working at the Cole Museum
University of Reading
Reading
Visit website
Reply 21
I rejected Cardiff and Liverpool in favour of Reading because I knew 3 A's was out of my range. I've heard good things about a Law degree from Reading from relatives/friends who work for practices so I'm not worried about it being too much of a hindrance (at least, in the same way as a ex-poly would be). If you like the Uni and the area, then focus on getting relevant experience and you should be fine (:
Reply 22
Original post by Jakko247
You will never get a job in the legal sector with a degree from Reading.

Reading is far superior to QMUL :colone:
Reply 23
Reading is quite a popular back-up uni for law, it's not too reputable, but if you work hard and choose not to aim too high in terms of future prospects of top law firms then i'd say it was good. If i were in your position(merely a suggestion) then i would put Reading as insurance and Cardiff as firm, this is because Cardiff is ranked higher like overall (whilst having a better reputation) ->and i'm a bit biased in that my law teacher studied at Cardiff many years ago and although the man has an odd teaching style, he is somewhat of a genius which i attribute to Cardiff uni. It is fine whatever you choose but you don't want to look back on your opportunity to go to Cardiff (or any others) which may be a little harder and not tried to get in =]
Reply 24
So u guys think that Reading ain't the best option
You could do a lot worse than reading!
Reply 26
Original post by paddy__power
Is that the best you have? You're a big headed (literally) cock who just about nobody likes because you spend your time talking copious amounts of **** to anyone who bothers to listen. Now you have your little group of followers or w/e but it doesn't make you any less of a cock. You were ok when you first joined, but then you changed into whatever pile of nonsense you are now.

If someone makes a thread asking serious questions then making a comment like that, joke or not, just makes you look like a prick. It's exactly why you were bullied in the box. If you know half as much as you think you do about anything (you don't) then use it to help people and not be a massive nescient ****.

Edit: You were a member of TSR labour until I kicked you out and were thus allied to the TSR Politics you mock. Tard. :facepalm:

Woah look at that for party political discipline!

Perhaps you should be advising David Cameron! You could apply to become a government whip with your experience of leading the online Labour Party!
Reply 27
Original post by bramz19
Reading is far superior to QMUL :colone:

:lies:

& you know it!

Stop trying to provoke a reaction :frown:
Reply 28
So do you guys think it's worthy me applying to reading?
Original post by ishq
Hey everyone I was just wondering if Readin uni was good for law. Is it multicultural, is the city itself good, good shopping, clubs etc. Does the uni have a good reputation for law and is the employment prospect good? (very important). Thanks for the help and all will be appreciated.

Reading tends to be extremely popular as an insurance choice. That is because it is one of the best universities for law not to require AAA.

I don't know whether this is a deliberate tactic-to court strong students who miss an A level grade. Reading has the problem that if it did make AAA offers few people would firm it in preference to the London schools and no well-advised applicant would then put it as an insurance. Reading's relative unattractiveness as a town may mean the university has to adopt a different strategy to attract good candidates.
Reply 30
Ow ok so it's ok for an insurance, that's good but does it have good employment prospects
Even though he's my dads age, a friend of his has mangaed to become a succesful Barrister with a law degree from Wolverhampton. Its more who you know than what you know, with it coming down sometimes to whether they actually like you and if you fit in with their whole social aspect of being in an Inns of court.

That said it's still a safe option to aim highest better to have personality and education rather than just the first one.
Original post by ishq
Ow ok so it's ok for an insurance, that's good but does it have good employment prospects

Well, my firm has a Reading graduate starting as a trainee next year.
Reply 33
Ow that's good, so there are ups and downs about reading. Do u guys think I should apply for the uni
Original post by ishq
Ow that's good, so there are ups and downs about reading. Do u guys think I should apply for the uni

Visit Reading, both the town and the University.
I hate to encroach on this thread about Reading, but i'm jotting down choices for UCAS next year. I'm considering putting either UEA or Reading as an insurance type option, which does anybody think is possibly better? Both are AAB unis.

UEA appears slightly higher in the legue tables but I know law firms can take these like a pinch of salt.
Original post by admbeatmaker
I hate to encroach on this thread about Reading, but i'm jotting down choices for UCAS next year. I'm considering putting either UEA or Reading as an insurance type option, which does anybody think is possibly better? Both are AAB unis.

UEA appears slightly higher in the legue tables but I know law firms can take these like a pinch of salt.

It's almost negligible really, but UEA is in a nicer place. Your mark will be more important and often how happy and comfortable you are will often impact how well you work so you may want to look at it from that angle :smile:
Reply 37
Reading hasn't sent me anything about accommodation while my others uni's have, is this normal?
Reply 38
Yes for reading use the website and the portal, all the info is there
Original post by paddy__power
It's almost negligible really, but UEA is in a nicer place. Your mark will be more important and often how happy and comfortable you are will often impact how well you work so you may want to look at it from that angle :smile:

Thanks. That's definitely something that i'll consider when choosing them. I'd say, from the point that you make about it being a nicer place that i'll look into this as well so I know it's a place i'll like it and considering it is perhaps just a few places higher in the league tables for law and considerably so overall, i'll likely go with UEA.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending