The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1980
Original post by Pendulum
Almost all of those points are wrong in some way, not to mention aimed at the US.

There isn't really anything wrong per se, but I would disagree with one or two points and add that you can be a bit more flexible with casual wear.

Original post by Mess.
Is it meant to be a take from the American Psyco Patrick Bateman? If so, seems doubtful that character would have dressed so boringly.

I presume it's a user calling himself Patrick Bateman on the fashion board on 4chan.

Original post by thewiseone
to the last two posters above me:
Jeez guys, James_Archer's post isn't provocative and I don't see why you're all being so negative as some of the points made-although obvious-, are pretty useful.

This thread has really changed since MK1 and everyone just seems to poo-poo everything.

pre-emptive edit: thanks for the neg.

In fairness there have been more and more people adding crap to this thread. Be fair, you can't expect to post stuff like Voi Voi, Burton etc in a fashion thread without people raising an eyebrow. But thus is the nature of a student forum.
Original post by thewiseone
to the last two posters above me:
Jeez guys, James_Archer's post isn't provocative and I don't see why you're all being so negative as some of the points made-although obvious-, are pretty useful.

This thread has really changed since MK1 and everyone just seems to poo-poo everything.

pre-emptive edit: thanks for the neg.

I'd rather warn people away from following that rubbish than just let it slide.

Original post by paddy
There isn't really anything wrong per se, but I would disagree with one or two points and add that you can be a bit more flexible with casual wear.

My problem is with the first part really.

It's the obsession with slim cut everything. Point 1 is ok as it's jeans. Point 2 he's suggesting everyone buy narrow fit shoes which won't fit them. Button down shirts are mainly US but still good (again with the slim). Slim trousers is a bit of a misleading option, rather than trousers that fit your legs, also pinstripe/windowpane shouldn't be bought until you have a range of plain coloured trousers first. Slim cut suits usually means narrow lapels which looks pretty rubbish, it shouldn't be black for a start and brand is important (in the sense that some brands sell only fused suits which you should avoid). Slim ties are pretty overplayed and don't really go with much IMO and should not be black. You should ALWAYS wear a belt with a suit unless the trousers do not come with belt loops.
Reply 1982
Original post by Pendulum
I'd rather warn people away from following that rubbish than just let it slide.

My problem is with the first part really.

It's the obsession with slim cut everything. Point 1 is ok as it's jeans. Point 2 he's suggesting everyone buy narrow fit shoes which won't fit them. Button down shirts are mainly US but still good (again with the slim). Slim trousers is a bit of a misleading option, rather than trousers that fit your legs, also pinstripe/windowpane shouldn't be bought until you have a range of plain coloured trousers first. Slim cut suits usually means narrow lapels which looks pretty rubbish, it shouldn't be black for a start and brand is important (in the sense that some brands sell only fused suits which you should avoid). Slim ties are pretty overplayed and don't really go with much IMO and should not be black. You should ALWAYS wear a belt with a suit unless the trousers do not come with belt loops.

He's right that fit is everything, but sadly many people don't grasp the concept that different body types require different cuts. Still, it's a step in the right direction for most tbh.
Reply 1983

Why would anyone ever consider those?
Reply 1984
When watching things like Frasier and Friends does anyone else wonder how the hell America got itself in to olive green suits with olive green shrits and earth colour ties :lolwut:

The suit fashion in those shows got worse the logner they were on.
Any opinions on this bag? Thanks
Reply 1986
Original post by ThisIsOurDecision
Any opinions on this bag? Thanks

It looks pretty good, considering the unusually low price. The website doesn't seem to work very well for me though.
Reply 1987
anyone know where I can get shoes like this, Id prefer them to be slip on, but id even take them if they were laces. Ive looked everywhere and cannot find a similar shoe!!!
Original post by eken
anyone know where I can get shoes like this, Id prefer them to be slip on, but id even take them if they were laces. Ive looked everywhere and cannot find a similar shoe!!!

you can't be serious.. You attach some rubbish photo that could be any old brown loafers and you say you've looked everywhere? Try looking in actual shoe shops and not your local JD or JJB Sports.
Reply 1989
Original post by hatersgunah8
you can't be serious.. You attach some rubbish photo that could be any old brown loafers and you say you've looked everywhere? Try looking in actual shoe shops and not your local JD or JJB Sports.

This is the only photo Ive seen them in, cant find any others, JD and JJB...what type of spaz do you think I am, of course Ive looked in proper shoe shops, Im not looking for the exact shoe as I know it will be near impossible to find just something that looks similar!!!!!
Original post by eken

http://www.kurtgeiger.com/online-shop/49887-ted-baker-denya-1?utm_source=google&utm_medium=organic&utm_campaign=google_shopping

First thing that came up on google :rolleyes:
Reply 1991

Nowhere near similar to them, totally different colour to start with, they have a far more pointed toe aswell!!:rolleyes::rolleyes:
Original post by eken
Nowhere near similar to them, totally different colour to start with, they have a far more pointed toe aswell!!:rolleyes::rolleyes:

yeah and is it really hard to look at the second or maybe even the third result? good luck warrior
Original post by eken

You should probably be more grateful to him seeing as he took time out of his day to look for something you want. I don't know how you expect us to have a better idea where to find shoes like that than you do. Just google search "mens red/brown shoes" or something :dontknow:
Reply 1994

Done properly.

Reply 1995
I'm currently in spain and I've discovered a shop for the first time called Massimo Dutti, it's brilliant! :smile:
Reply 1996

Which do you prefer?
Reply 1997
Original post by 10295

Which do you prefer?

I prefere the clothes of the first!!

2nd seems a bit too chavy
Reply 1998
eBay :h:
Reply 1999
Original post by fletchdd02
I'm currently in spain and I've discovered a shop for the first time called Massimo Dutti, it's brilliant! :smile:

Yeah that's the same company of Zara. Massimo Dutti is to Zara as Banana Republic is to GAP (which is to say, it is like Zara but a bit more high end).

Latest