The Student Room Group
On campus at the University of Southampton
University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website

Winchester School of Art Official Forum (UoS)

Welcome to the University of Southampton Winchester School of Art Forum!

Let's get a discussion going!

What course are you applying to?
What have you been up to before now? (A-levels, Foundation, Btec etc)
What are you most excited about University?
Anything you're concerned about?

Please ask any questions you have about life in Winchester below!

Maeve :smile:
UoS Student Ambassador and Rep, currently studying BA Textiles Design

Some useful links:

WSA Website: https://www.southampton.ac.uk/wsa/index.page

UoS Accommodation: https://www.southampton.ac.uk/student-life/accommodation
Reply 1
Original post by Uni of Southampton Students

Some useful links:

Hiya!

My name is Emily, and currently I am in the process of applying for Game Design and Art (BA)! I'm studying Fine Art, Drama and English Literature for my A-Levels :smile: Having took a look at the course and modules, I'd say what I'm really excited for is the creative elements in game design combined with the technical knowledge, and how to apply that into generating industry-standard games.

My worry and concern for now is how to structure my personal statement and how to approach the interview (if I get one that is!)

((:
On campus at the University of Southampton
Southampton
Visit website
Original post by emily_03
Hiya!

My name is Emily, and currently I am in the process of applying for Game Design and Art (BA)! I'm studying Fine Art, Drama and English Literature for my A-Levels :smile: Having took a look at the course and modules, I'd say what I'm really excited for is the creative elements in game design combined with the technical knowledge, and how to apply that into generating industry-standard games.

My worry and concern for now is how to structure my personal statement and how to approach the interview (if I get one that is!)

((:

Hi @emily_03,
I apologise that none of us got round to replying to you sooner! I presume you have now sent off your application and are awaiting a response?
If you have any questions or worries you have about the university/ student life/ course/ anything, please ask away and we will get back to you ASAP!

Carina :smile: - University of Southampton Ambassador
(Student Children's Nurse BSc)
Reply 3
Hey!
I just received an offer letter for MA in Fashion Design at Winchester School of Art. It would be a great help if anyone can give me an insight on his/her experience in the department, opportunities they provide, about the faculty, post-course placement, whether it is better to take up university housing or not, and any other related information.

Your response would be of great help and value.

Thank you
Reply 4
Original post by Uni of Southampton Students

Some useful links:

Hey!
I just received an offer letter for MA in Fashion Design at Winchester School of Art. It would be a great help if anyone can give me an insight on his/her experience in the department, opportunities they provide, about the faculty, post-course placement, whether it is better to take up university housing or not, and any other related information.

Thank you
Original post by Ishman
Hey!

Thank you

Hi there!
I am a current BA Fashion Design student at Winchester School of Art, so I don't currently have experience of the MA course, however I can tell you about the general facilities we have for Fashion Design students to use. :smile:
There are several large studios available which are supplied with industrial sewing machines, overlockers and both male and female mannequins, including full body styles. There is also a fusing press and industrial irons with vacuum ironing boards. We also have the Textiles department available which includes screen printing equipment and knitting machines, and there is digital fabric printing available on campus so you can easily create your own prints. Other facilities open to Fashion students include 3D printing and laser cutting if this is something that interests you!
The tutors for the department are all extremely helpful and as the campus is part of the University of Southampton, the careers services also cover Fashion students. so you will be able to meet with them to discuss careers after your MA finishes. I know there are post-graduate schemes available that may be beneficial to you.
Are there any specific questions you would like me to try and find out answers to? If you leave them on this thread I will be happy to ask my tutors for more in-depth coverage of the MA course for you.
Anna (2nd year Fashion Design student)
Reply 6
Hey Anna

Thank you so much for your reply. It was super helpful and full of information that clarifies a lot of my queries.
Another thing I would want to know is the average class size of the course MA Fashion design and whether there's any internship program during the course.

And lastly, what according to you would be better, applying for on-campus housing or otherwise and life at WSA and around it.

Thank you
Ishman
Original post by Ishman
Hey Anna

Thank you so much for your reply. It was super helpful and full of information that clarifies a lot of my queries.
Another thing I would want to know is the average class size of the course MA Fashion design and whether there's any internship program during the course.

And lastly, what according to you would be better, applying for on-campus housing or otherwise and life at WSA and around it.

Thank you
Ishman

I'm so glad my reply was helpful for you! :smile: I will find out for you in regards to the size of the MA class and internship programmes, however I can say my current class has been between around 18-28 students through the past two years so relatively small which may be similar for the MA course.

As for choosing housing, I can tell you a bit about the options for halls. There are two halls which WSA students generally live in and both are right next to each other about a fifteen minute walk from the campus. Erasmus Park is the University's own accommodation and Riverside Way has students from both WSA and the University of Winchester. The halls are great for convenience and the facilities are good. At Erasmus Park, the bedrooms have very large desks which I found extremely helpful for working on sketchbooks at home, and every room has its own ensuite. The flats there can have up to 10 people but generally had around 8 maximum when I was living there, so it is really good to meet other students. Riverside Way is a really nice halls and includes a great common room if this is something you're interested in, and the rooms have double beds. Currently, I now live in a house slightly closer to the campus and I would say I prefer this since I really enjoy having a bit more of my own space, but the pro of halls would probably be the ease of getting your accommodation sorted compared to needing to find a room in a house, so this may be something you need to consider.

WSA is a lovely campus and I personally really enjoy that everybody there is creative as it helps to find new ideas and inspiration from each other! The City is also really pretty and I have always felt safe living here as it is smaller and quieter than other places. There are plenty of great pubs and several bars to go to, as well as one club if you are interested in night life. Winchester is also very nearby to Southampton so it is really easy to get the train and travel between the two places so you can visit the other campuses and get the best of both worlds with the busier City life as well!
Is there anything else you would like to know about the uni/local area?
Anna
Reply 8
Hey Anna
Again, Thank you so much for this information. You have no idea how helpful you have been. The moment I received an offer letter from Southhampton I knew this is gonna be my home for the coming year and with your help I don't have any more doubts.

It would be great if you could get back to me with the information regarding class size and internship opportunities during the course. Again, thank you so much. You're doing a great job.

Regards
Ishman
Reply 9
I applied for fashion design , back in January, and I’ve still heard nothing , should I be worried
Hi. I have just received an offer for Games Art and Design. I am very excited about it. I want visit the campus to know a little bit more about the course and also look at the campus facilities for the course before making it a firm choice. Please let me know if there is going to be an offer holder day for this course. Thanks.
What course are you applying to?: Winchester School of Art.
What have you been up to before now? (A-levels, Foundation, Btec etc): I've been doing a Digital Arts Foundation Year.
What are you most excited about University?: I'm excited about making new friends and progressing my skills.
Anything you're concerned about?: Settling into university and forming good habits.
Original post by vestigalrex510
What course are you applying to?: Winchester School of Art.
What have you been up to before now? (A-levels, Foundation, Btec etc): I've been doing a Digital Arts Foundation Year.
What are you most excited about University?: I'm excited about making new friends and progressing my skills.
Anything you're concerned about?: Settling into university and forming good habits.

Hello,

4th year Bm5 student at southampton here 👋
Really glad to hear you’re excited about making new friends at uni! It’s definitely a daunting experience to settle in a new environment and have good habits when you first start, but take it easy and slowly with some experience you’ll find what works best for you.
If you have any questions the program your applying to , or life in uni or Winchester please don’t hesitate.

Cynthia ( University of Southampton student ambassador)
https://www.southampton.ac.uk
Reply 13
Uni Swap.jpg
I have a standard en suite room in Erasmus Park Hall that I would like to swap or find someone to take over as I will be studying at Highfield Campus. If you are interested or know someone that is, please get in touch. Also, if you have any other tips on how to best look for a swap or take over, it would be appreciated.
Hi! I’ve recently been researching my option as I’m applying this year.
I’m very new to looking at Winchester school of art, I only learnt it existed the past month! It looks amazing and very promising how high the entry requirements sit. I would be studying fashion design.
However it’s more the city I’d like to know about, how is it around being LGBTQ friendly? Is there much to do as a student? Is there much of a night life or is it a lot quieter? If so do students regularly travel into nearby places like Southampton for the nightlife experience? I’m originally from Norwich and don’t actually take part in nightlife right now despite being 19 but once I move I’d love to give it more of a chance in a new place.
Thank you very much
Original post by Anonymous #2
Hi! I’ve recently been researching my option as I’m applying this year.
I’m very new to looking at Winchester school of art, I only learnt it existed the past month! It looks amazing and very promising how high the entry requirements sit. I would be studying fashion design.
However it’s more the city I’d like to know about, how is it around being LGBTQ friendly? Is there much to do as a student? Is there much of a night life or is it a lot quieter? If so do students regularly travel into nearby places like Southampton for the nightlife experience? I’m originally from Norwich and don’t actually take part in nightlife right now despite being 19 but once I move I’d love to give it more of a chance in a new place.
Thank you very much

Hey!
I'm thrilled to hear that you're considering Winchester School of Art for your studies in fashion design. It's an exciting journey, and I'm here to share some insights as a student ambassador.

Winchester is a fantastic city with a unique charm, and I'm sure you'll find it a welcoming place, especially in terms of LGBTQ+ friendliness. The city has a generally inclusive atmosphere, and the university itself promotes diversity and equality.

As for student life, Winchester offers a mix of vibrant activities and a more relaxed atmosphere. While it may not be as bustling as larger cities, there's still plenty to do. The city has a rich history, and you can explore its cultural and historical sites, cozy cafes, and local markets. It's a great place to find inspiration for your creative endeavors.

In terms of nightlife, Winchester has a variety of pubs, bars, and some clubs that cater to different tastes. While it might not be as extensive as in larger cities, the nightlife scene does offer a chance to socialize and unwind. If you ever crave a livelier atmosphere, Southampton is nearby and known for its vibrant nightlife. Many students occasionally venture there for a change of pace and to experience a more energetic social scene.

Being originally from Norwich, you might notice a bit of a difference, but Winchester has its own unique appeal. It's a city that strikes a balance between the tranquility of a smaller town and the liveliness of a student community.

Ultimately, your university experience is not just about academics, but also about personal growth and enjoying your surroundings. Winchester has a lot to offer in that regard, and I'm confident you'll find your niche here. If you have any more questions or need further information, feel free to ask!

Best Wishes
Priya :smile:
Student Ambassador
Hi, i just got offer letter for MA global advertising and branding at WSA and im still wondering if its better to find an accommodation in winchester or in southampton? because as far as i know that being a postgraduate student doesnt require me to come to the campus everyday and i genuinely think (based on my observation) that living in winchester is kinda boring compared to southampton, so im still confused about that.

and about the living cost, does the range of £1000-1200/month is enough to live in winchester?

looking forward to hear from you soon^^

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending