The Student Room Group

Social Work Financial Help

Can someone please tell me exactly what I am supposed to be applying for in regards to the Social Work Degree?
Does the NHS pay tuition fee's or do i need to apply for the tuition fee loan?
I was under the impression that SW students, like nurses, were only eligible for one form of support or the other :- nhs bursary or sfe.
Apparently this is not the case?

Also, it appears that there is no way of actually applying to NHS bursaries until May? Is this correct?

Thanks!!
As you're studying a Social Work degree, you'll be eligible for a social work bursary from the NHS Business Services authority - more info here http://www.nhsbsa.nhs.uk/825.aspx.

It's not the same as the NHS bursary which is paid to students on healthcare courses like nurses who have their tuition fees paid, so do not tick this on your student finance form or you will receive a lower rate of loan.

The NHS won't pay your tuition fees for a social work degree. You can apply for a tuition fee loan, maintenance loan and grants from SFE as normal. And yes, it's correct that you can't apply for bursaries for a while.
Reply 2
Ditto what the previous person says and to add, dont worry about applying for the NHS bursary so late, from my experience they are very efficient. It is student finance are not!

You could use your bursary to pay your fees if you want .......
Reply 3
Thanks so much for your help, I can't belive I didn't know this sooner. I better get a move on and make an application to SFE!

:biggrin:
Reply 4
how much is the bursary?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending