The Student Room Group

Funding Post Graduate Conversion Course in Law.

Hi, everyone!

I am looking into ways to fund a conversion course to eventually become a Barrister!

I am currently working full time.

I have a BA Degree in Social Work, an (uncompleted) PGCE qualification, and a MA (Diploma) in Developmental Psychology.

Would I be able to qualify for a part time student tuition fee loan with the Open University?

@SFE Aaron @SFE Andrew @SFE Ashley @SFE Clare @SFE Dean

Thank you!

Kind Regards,

SunsetSkyline.
I've moved your thread to the Ask SFE forum. Official SFE reps reply to threads on this forum during office hours. :smile:
Hi there,

Can you confirm the full name of your course, what university you will attend and the duration of your course? So you already hold an undergraduate degree for Social Work? Thanks, Drew
Hi; Drew.

Thank you for replying!

I already hold a BA (Hons) Degree for Social Work, yes.

The course would be the LLB (Conversion - Graduate Entry) OR the LLM Conversion Course with the Open University or similar institution.

Thank you!
Original post by SunsetSkyline
Hi; Drew.

Thank you for replying!

I already hold a BA (Hons) Degree for Social Work, yes.

The course would be the LLB (Conversion - Graduate Entry) OR the LLM Conversion Course with the Open University or similar institution.

Thank you!

Hi there,

The only postgraduate courses I can find at the open university is masters of law. Would this be the correct course for 2 years? Also did you mention that you already have a Postgraduate Degree in Psychology?

Thanks, Drew
Hi Drew,

That is the correct course, yes. Master of Laws with the OU.

I also hold an MA PG Diploma in Developmental Psychology.
Hi Drew,

That is the correct course, yes. Master of Laws with the OU.

I also hold an MA PG Diploma in Developmental Psychology.

Hi there, if you hold a PG Diploma you'd still be eligible for funding for the Masters of Law course. When would you be looking to start the course? Thanks, Ross
Hi, everyone!

I am looking into ways to fund a conversion course to eventually become a Barrister!

I am currently working full time.

I have a BA Degree in Social Work, an (uncompleted) PGCE qualification, and a MA (Diploma) in Developmental Psychology.

Would I be able to qualify for a part time student tuition fee loan with the Open University?

@SFE Aaron @SFE Andrew @SFE Ashley @SFE Clare @SFE Dean

Thank you!

Kind Regards,

SunsetSkyline.

Hi @SunsetSkyline

I cannot help you with your questions regarding SFE but have you considered applying for scholarships?
All of the Inns of Courts offer scholarships for the BPC. Depending on your own personal financial situation the amount of money that they will give you may vary, however, they often can help with the provision of quite a substantial sum. Scholarships are competitive but I would definitely give it a go!
You can also apply for scholarships with the university you aim to study with. I know that the University of Law offers a range of scholarships for postgraduate courses to help people qualify as Barristers. These scholarships don't tend to cover the entire cost of the tuition fee but any amount of money is helpful 🙂

I hope this helps and good luck!

Sophie

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending