The Student Room Group

Degree Apprentices

Hey!

I'm going to be starting year 13 in September and I'm really interested in taking a degree apprenticeship in engineering.

I've spoken to my teachers about this but they're concerned that I would be 'underselling myself' by going down this route as I achieved high GCSE grades and my predicted grades for a level are 4 A*s. Does anyone else think that this is true?

Also, do degree apprentices still have a good social life? Are you able to make new friends at uni and go out with them or are you just too busy?

I'd really appreciate anyone's insight, particularly if you are / have been a degree apprentice.

Thank you!
Reply 1
I'm not a student or an apprentice. However a close family member went down the degree apprenticeship route.

I'd say that your teachers are wrong. With a degree apprenticeship not only will you still get a degree you will have several years worth of work experience when you qualify and likely a guaranteed job. Employers very much value experience.

Financially it's a no brainer. You will earn a decent salary, likely get the opportunity to enroll in the pension scheme and you will get your university fees paid for. Compare that to earning nothing and incurring £ tens of thousands of student debt which from this year has to be paid back at a lower salary, plus interest and won't be written off for 40 years. I suggest you do a financial comparison over three years and you will be shocked by the difference. You could be in a position to get yourself on the housing ladder in your early 20s. Long before people who took the full time university option will be able to achieve.

Socially ? Well not everyone who goes to university full time enjoys the experience. Some do of course but it isn't guaranteed. You will have to decide whether all of the above is worth giving up. But just because you aren't a full time student it does not mean that hat you won't have a decent social life.
Reply 2
Sorry just to add. If I was you I'd apply for both and give yourself as many options as possible.
Original post by cloverleaf01
Hey!

I'm going to be starting year 13 in September and I'm really interested in taking a degree apprenticeship in engineering.

I've spoken to my teachers about this but they're concerned that I would be 'underselling myself' by going down this route as I achieved high GCSE grades and my predicted grades for a level are 4 A*s. Does anyone else think that this is true?

Also, do degree apprentices still have a good social life? Are you able to make new friends at uni and go out with them or are you just too busy?

I'd really appreciate anyone's insight, particularly if you are / have been a degree apprentice.

Thank you!

Hi, I’m in year 13 and secured an Accounting degree apprenticeship for this September.
I applied for both uni and apprenticeships and got offers for both however, an apprenticeship is my first choice.
Your teachers are wrong. There’s a huge misconception that apprenticeships are for underachievers which is NOT the case at all. I achieved 9888766655 at gcse and I am predicted A*AA at A Level.
I promise you, teachers who say stuff like that have NO CLUE how degree apprenticeships work. It’s a more rigorous and competitive application process compared to UCAS. For some programmes you do in fact need high grades.
Some teachers like to set you up for failure. Degree apprenticeships are amazing: years of experience, free degree, salary (higher than minimum wage), and with some you’re guaranteed a job at the end and some promotions too!
Regardless of grades you are tested and interviewed quite a bit before you can secure a degree apprenticeship, my current offer had 5 stages, some of which were hard.
Bare in mind with apprenticeships you have the chance to work at a top company and some are even paired with top RGs such as Warwick, Leeds, Nottingham, Exeter, QMUL, Bristol.
Yes, you WILL have a social life. With apprenticeships most of them you can work from home anyway so you will in fact have time to yourself. It’s YOUR job to pick the right company where you’ll have a work life balance, that’s what I did.
You’ll have the opportunity to make friends also, apprenticeships are not all work and no play.
(edited 9 months ago)
Reply 4
Hey!

Thank you!

Your teachers are wrong - I'm a Maths teacher and would not stop anyone going down this route. RG uni degrees aren't good prep for working as an Engineer and my top students go for a year in industry model and non-RG.
Reply 5
Original post by Slowprop
Sorry just to add. If I was you I'd apply for both and give yourself as many options as possible.

Thank you for the advice!! I think I will apply to both and look at all of my options once I have my offers
Reply 6
Original post by Muttley79
Your teachers are wrong - I'm a Maths teacher and would not stop anyone going down this route. RG uni degrees aren't good prep for working as an Engineer and my top students go for a year in industry model and non-RG.

Ahhh that's interesting . . .ig that for engineering the work experience is more important that book learning
Reply 7
Original post by Hellokitty123abc
Hi, I’m in year 13 and secured an Accounting degree apprenticeship for this September.
I applied for both uni and apprenticeships and got offers for both however, an apprenticeship is my first choice.
Your teachers are wrong. There’s a huge misconception that apprenticeships are for underachievers which is NOT the case at all. I achieved 9888766655 at gcse and I am predicted A*AA at A Level.
I promise you, teachers who say stuff like that have NO CLUE how degree apprenticeships work. It’s a more rigorous and competitive application process compared to UCAS. For some programmes you do in fact need high grades.
Some teachers like to set you up for failure. Degree apprenticeships are amazing: years of experience, free degree, salary (higher than minimum wage), and with some you’re guaranteed a job at the end and some promotions too!
Regardless of grades you are tested and interviewed quite a bit before you can secure a degree apprenticeship, my current offer had 5 stages, some of which were hard.
Bare in mind with apprenticeships you have the chance to work at a top company and some are even paired with top RGs such as Warwick, Leeds, Nottingham, Exeter, QMUL, Bristol.
Yes, you WILL have a social life. With apprenticeships most of them you can work from home anyway so you will in fact have time to yourself. It’s YOUR job to pick the right company where you’ll have a work life balance, that’s what I did.
You’ll have the opportunity to make friends also, apprenticeships are not all work and no play.

Thank you sm! And good luck with your degree apprenticeship XD
Reply 8
Ahhh that's interesting . . .ig that for engineering the work experience is more important that book learning

Some RG unis are very theoretical and seem not to realise that Engineeing has changed significantly. The newer unis seem to have adapted better.
Reply 9
Thank you for the advice!! I think I will apply to both and look at all of my options once I have my offers

The application and selection process will also be good experience for you.

A degree apprenticeship isn't an easy option. But the rewards are there. Good luck with it.
Thank you sm! And good luck with your degree apprenticeship XD

thanks, if you need any guidance pm me and i'll be happy to help. i know first hand how daunting the process can be. i'd also recommend using this summer to look up companies you're interested in and note down on a spreadsheet when applications open and their deadlines also! Goldman Sachs degree apprenticeship applications open next month mid august so keep an eye out x

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending