The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by Arsey
i have now uploaded model answers to every current spec C2 paper + Mock and Specimen

where ? :s-smilie:
Reply 81
Original post by Mariam8
where ? :s-smilie:

first few posts in this thread
Sorry if this has been posted earlier in the thread; but is this a morning or afternoon exam?
Reply 83
Original post by Arsey
anything unusual and you would be given the formula

we'd be given the formula ? dont they usually ask to show that the volume of the ... is .... ?
Reply 84
Original post by Arsey

Okayy, thanks! :smile:
Reply 85
Original post by GeorgieBoy
Sorry if this has been posted earlier in the thread; but is this a morning or afternoon exam?

Morning exam
Original post by taliman
Morning exam

Thanks. :smile:
Reply 87
Original post by Arsey

Hey Arsey what proof or formulas do we have to know how to be able to derive?
Original post by Groat
I'm pretty sure the natural logarithm (ln) isn't in the C2 specification, so no.

That is in Core 3! :smile:
Original post by faiqah

You need to know the Geometric Series Proof.

Look at the earlier pages of this thread, all the information you require is contained within previous posts.

The formulae booklet only gives the Cosine Rule, Trapezium Rule, Binomial, Geometric Series.

So you've got to know the rest of the formulas! :smile:
Reply 90
Original post by faiqah

you need to be able to prove Sn

you need to know...

log rules
trig rules and ratios
first two trig identities
factor theorem
remainder theorem
arc and sector formulae
Reply 91
Original post by Arsey
you need to be able to prove Sn

you need to know...

log rules
trig rules and ratios
first two trig identities
factor theorem
remainder theorem
arc and sector formulae

Thank you...
Your thread helped me alot on M1 and now this..
Original post by GeorgieBoy

Biology 2 is in the afternoon
Core 2 is at 9am and Statistics 2 is at 10.30am
Mechanics 2 is on 13th June with Core 3 on Thursday 16th June also in the Morning, followed by a weekend Core 4 on the Monday 20th June once again in the Morning too. June 2011 Edexcel Maths exams are all in the Morning session.

If only Arsey made a S2 June 2011 - Tips, model answers thread...

Something to note is, the Binomial question in January 2011 was not in the usual format, but if you did S2, you would've gained those marks! :smile: So learn the nCr notation very well.

It is no longer possible to rely solely on Past Papers for Maths exams as there is a far greater emphasis on understanding of the theory. In January 2011 there was a question on e^x curve, the intercept passes through the point (0,1) It is in the very first page of Chapter 3 Exponentials and Logarithms.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 93
Original post by intellectual1
You need to know the Geometric Series Proof.

Look at the earlier pages of this thread, all the information you require is contained within previous posts.

The formulae booklet only gives the Cosine Rule, Trapezium Rule, Binomial, Geometric Series.

So you've got to know the rest of the formulas! :smile:

Thanks =]
Reply 94
Original post by gdunne42
Learn them

you only get s.a. of a sphere and area of the curved surface of a cone

To be honest i think this bit is the hardest question on the whole paper, i spent age doing this... do u have any tips ?
Reply 95
When do inequality signs swap over? I always get confused :s
Reply 96
Original post by bites
To be honest i think this bit is the hardest question on the whole paper, i spent age doing this... do u have any tips ?

No tips really. Practice by doing past questions is all I can advise.

You use your basic skills for working out an equation in x for a shape - volume or surface area typically. It's not an exam about shape so it's rarely that difficult, just GCSE level cuboids or cylinders.

On Edexcel you are often asked to show that a given equation is true so you know exactly what you are aiming for.

If you are unable to successfully show the equation is true you can still differentiate what they've given you and set it = 0 to find a maximum or minimum and then differentiate again to justify that it is a max or min. That's where most of the marks come from anyway.
Reply 97
Original post by faiqah
When do inequality signs swap over? I always get confused :s

In general or in relation to a specific topic?

-x > -y

x both sides by -1

x < y

e.g.

-1 > -2

x both sides by -1

1 < 2
(edited 12 years ago)
Looking through past papers, there's always questions on:
Factor Theorem and Remainder Theorem always comes up.
In Coordinate Geometry, the angle in a semi circle is a right angle, the perpendicular from the centre to a chord bisects the chord and the perpendicularity of the radius and tangent!
Geometric series - proof of formula
Binomial expansion - the (1+x)^n did'nt feature in Jan11, nCr notation did
Trigonometry - The Sine and Cosine Rules, Area of a Triangle 1/2 ab sin C.
Radians - s=r theta and A = 1/2 r^2 theta
Sin, Cos, Tan graphs and symmetries and periodicity
tan = sin/cos and cos^2 + sin^2 = 1
Laws of Logarithms - there are lots of past questions on Logs!
Differentiation - maxima, minima and stationary points, increasing/decreasing functions - f"(x) second order derivative
Remember we could be asked to sketch the curve!
Integration - Evaluation of Integrals, Area under a curve - straight lines - Trapezium Rule
Laws of Logarithms are not given in the formuale booklet, neither is the Sine rule nor the area = 1/2 ab sin C
(edited 12 years ago)
Can anyone halp me with Jan 2010, question 10 (c)? Thanks x

Latest

Trending

Trending