The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

This paper was tricky because they put some cheeky questions in it.. And considering the boundaries in January, this paper was much harder so I wouldn't be surprised if the grade boundaries were at least 5 marks lower. I need 90 UMS for an A :/
Reply 981
I did the integration fine but I USED THE WRONG LIMITS! :frown: I used -4 and 6 instead of 5, but I got the correct answer for those limits I used, how many marks do you think I would get out of 7?

Also I didn't know what to do next after I got -3.2 and 86.8 for the trig part a) so i just left it there..
Reply 982
Seems like the only question I got wrong was that horrific radius one. But managed to guess the right answer so not too bad.
Reply 983
100% baby \o/ Cheers, Arsey.
This was an alright paper, i dont see it going to 71..i mean the only extra-ordinary question was that radius one..not that i got 100% but im just saying that if we get our hopes up too much then may be a fail. On another note, Arsey..in the 'prove that ur value is a minimum' what happens if you differentiate correctly and put in x = 3 but get 36 (damn calc) then you say d2y/dx2 > 0 therefore minimum..because on past mark schemes i've seen both marks given for correct differentiation and then d2y/dx2>0....will they just ignore that 36 part

also on the radius one i found the angle 1/6pi then formed a different triangle...will i get atleast get 1/3?

thanks so much again...the january paper was a joke compared to this one!
(edited 12 years ago)
i think the grade boundaries will be slightly lower.... 73/75 for 100ums, the rest look fine :smile:
Did anyone else get a different middle value for the sin graph? I got -3.2 (which obviously you discount) and added 360 to get the 356.8 value. I then took the -3.2 and added it to -180 (where it would be equal on the curve) then added 360 to get 183.2

Original post by Arsey
-snip-

How'd you get 93.2? Because when you sin that you get a different value to when you sin 356.8?
Reply 987
How do i find the provisional mark scheme?

Thanks
Original post by mororge
Thanks to the OP for this very helpful resource.

One question, though.

For q1 (b), it states 'factor theorem', whereas the solutions appear to use the 'remainder theorem'.

Does the OP think that both will be credited?

They're both essentially the same thing.
question 5 a) and b) = did they need to be to 3 sginificant figures? i just left them with pi in.
Reply 990
hi there so arsey did you mean that 58 marks will be an A?
Reply 991

I got the method correct for 5 B) but didn't use 6-r, so didn't get the correct answer. Any method marks in it? What about error carried forward for the next bit?
Hey, could someone please guide me to the solutions for this paper! Many thanks!
Reply 993
Original post by Barkziee
Had no clue for the radius of the circle so I worked out the arc length and assumed that to be half the circumference, which gives a circumference of 4pi, :. r=2. A method mark lost perhaps, but good to know I was correct!

I did the same!
Reply 994
Woo so happy the whole paper was pretty easy apart from 5b so I just guessed a radius (2) hoping I could get method marks if I just plugged that in for part c and it was right yaaay
Reply 995
where is the solutions
Reply 996
Original post by mbrown956
I did the same!

you will not get any marks for this as the method is wrong.

however, as you luckily got the correct radius you will get all the marks for c) without worrying if it allows ft from b)

(I suspect they will allow ft from b) simply because of how difficult b) is)
Messed up two and a half questions: sector question, circle geometry coordinates (i put when x=o, got the correct y coordinates, but then for some dumb reason i substituted y to get new x's cause I forgot x=0), and the last part to the geometric series, misread the word 'sum'. Fml.

I wish I was born a year earlier, the C1 and C2 papers for 2011 were disgusting.

Lucky people who sat the papers in 2006-2010, the easiest, golden math exams, especially with C1.
Original post by Arsey
Revision thread for the C2 June paper.

Paper and solutions now up.

This was not an easy paper, certainly on the difficult side when compared to previous ones.

Q1. Standard, pretty easy
Q2. Standard, but (1 + ...) are easier
Q3. Easier than normal
Q4. Not that easier, converting equations into circle form are generally answered poorly.
Q5. a) and c) are very easy, but c) is dependent on b). b) was very hard.
Q6. a) b) c) standard, but d) isn't easy, no frameworking given, makes it more difficult than normal
Q7. Trig questions are often poorly answered and this was 10 marks. a) was tricky because the first solution was negative. There was no structure in b) previously it is common to be told to prove the quadratic before solving; definitely harder than normal
Q8. Harder because it was more unusual, no depth variable given will cause a lot of problems
Q9. Not that easy compared to what has been asked in previous papers.

My best guess at boundaries are

100UMS - 74
90UMS - 66
80UMS - 58
70UMS - 50
60UMS - 42
50UMS - 34
40UMS - 26

Past Papers and model solutions included

I will also post some tips as they occur to me and answer any questions

Good luck in the exam

I DO NOT HAVE ACCESS TO THE PAPERS BEFORE THE EXAMINATION TAKES PLACE

Good site for past papers

http://www.freeexampapers.com/past_papers.php?l=Past_Papers%2FA+Level%2FMaths%2FEdexcel%2F

I will be happy to remove any content I have uploaded if requested by site admin

Thanks Arsey :smile:
I was just wondering..
Wasn;t this somewhat like the Jan 10 paper? Slightly easier perhaps...
But do you think the grade boudaries will be slightly lower?
Thanks
Reply 999
Original post by TheBritishBloke
This paper was tricky because they put some cheeky questions in it.. And considering the boundaries in January, this paper was much harder so I wouldn't be surprised if the grade boundaries were at least 5 marks lower. I need 90 UMS for an A :/

Ahhhhhh im in the same boat:\

Latest

Trending

Trending