The Student Room Group

Psychology Applicants (2012 entry)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TheDubs
I know. He mentioned or implied psychology degree's aren't the best when trying to find work and mentioned a heck of a lot of graduates end up in frozen food wasnt it? I put down what I found from my own research and what ive been told about how psychology graduates get into better payed jobs more readily that a lot of other degree's because of the range of skills picked up on the course (Hence why I named analytical skills etc.)

I wrote the comment at 7am, probably a little messy, what did you expect?!

Oh okay. No i was saying that my post wasn't about anything you replied with. I just wanted to know where the statistics that most grads work in food from...
Reply 181
Original post by iammichealjackson
Oh okay. No i was saying that my post wasn't about anything you replied with. I just wanted to know where the statistics that most grads work in food from...

Just put in another side of the argument. Wasn't so much for your individual benefit, just to balance out the argument given how much he was laying into a psychology degree's prospects and potentially putting people off studying it. Nothing wrong with what I said was there?
Original post by TheDubs
Just put in another side of the argument. Wasn't so much for your individual benefit, just to balance out the argument given how much he was laying into a psychology degree's prospects and potentially putting people off studying it. Nothing wrong with what I said was there?

fair dos. Anyway godspeed has probably scared off all applicants judging from how dead this thread is. Maybe its just early still.
Reply 183
Just received an offer today from the University of Portsmouth to study Forensic Psychology. Only submitted my application via UCAS on Thursday so thought that was pretty quick. Anyone else got an offer for this course?
Reply 184
I'm studying maths, psychology and philosophy and ethics and got AAA at AS.
Im hoping to apply to unis such as kent, nottingham, reading, birmingham, loughborough
Are these suitable unis to apply to considering i don't have biology and have a less acadmeic subject like philosophy and ethics?
I'm applying for UEA, Loughborough, Kent and Reading :smile:
Reply 186
Original post by alice295
Im hoping to apply to unis such as kent, nottingham, reading, birmingham, loughborough
Are these suitable unis to apply to considering i don't have biology and have a less acadmeic subject like philosophy and ethics?

You have maths and psychology so you should be ok.
Reply 187
Original post by D0LLxo
Just applied to Cambridge, UCL, RHUL, QMUL + Surrey :-)

applied to the same ones except QMUL and Surrey although considered and wish i'd applied to QMUL sort of haha. just got an email from UCL saying they received it. Still waiting for manc and RHU
Paid and sent my UCAS application on 3 October, school finally sent it off on Tuesday (12 October). York and Bath both emailed me saying they'd received the application, so I'm hoping they can materialise into an offer.

Applied to Bath, Bristol, York, Warwick and Portsmouth - all for single honour Psychology.
Reply 189
My UCAS was sent off Sept. 26th and I've applied to Bath, Birmingham, Durham (Applied Psych.), Nottingham and Royal Holloway. I'm doing English Lit, Maths and Biology for A Level. Really nervous about offers!!! :s-smilie: Haven't seen anyone who has an offer for straight BSc single honours Psychology yet - or have I missed some people? :smile:
I just went to Daniel Dennett's wikipedia page to read about his arguments against qualia, but I was distracted by his magnificent beard. True story.

Original post by SE20
My UCAS was sent off Sept. 26th and I've applied to Bath, Birmingham, Durham (Applied Psych.), Nottingham and Royal Holloway. I'm doing English Lit, Maths and Biology for A Level. Really nervous about offers!!! :s-smilie: Haven't seen anyone who has an offer for straight BSc single honours Psychology yet - or have I missed some people? :smile:

I'm applying to RHUL as well! Yay!
Reply 191
Original post by Luccy.
applied to the same ones except QMUL and Surrey although considered and wish i'd applied to QMUL sort of haha. just got an email from UCL saying they received it. Still waiting for manc and RHU

Cool:biggrin: What subjects are you doing might I ask?
Hi, I'm applying for a 2012 place at uni. I have chosen chester as my firm choice and cumbria as my insurance choice
Hi all, I'm hoping to get into QMUL next year to study psychology...anyone else from Italy? :biggrin:
Original post by SE20
Haven't seen anyone who has an offer for straight BSc single honours Psychology yet - or have I missed some people? :smile:

I just received an offer from Portsmouth for single honoured Psychology (BSc). They want 320 tariff (ABB), which is what I see as the minimum grades I'll achieve at the end of A2.

Received confirmation emails from Bath, York, Warwick and Portsmouth now - just waiting on Bristol and then it's only offers I'm waiting for.

Quick question: Do we have to reply to offers within a deadline?
Reply 195
Original post by SLlewellyn
I just received an offer from Portsmouth for single honoured Psychology (BSc). They want 320 tariff (ABB), which is what I see as the minimum grades I'll achieve at the end of A2.

Received confirmation emails from Bath, York, Warwick and Portsmouth now - just waiting on Bristol and then it's only offers I'm waiting for.

Quick question: Do we have to reply to offers within a deadline?

http://www.ucas.com/students/importantdates

:smile:
Original post by alice295

Philosophy and ethics IS academic :s-smilie: Anyway you've got most of the bases covered for psychology, and having an essay-writing subject will be just as useful (if not more) than having biology! Good luck!
Reply 197
Hi :smile:
I've only just sent my ucas application to my referee on Wednesday.
I'm applying to UCL, Royal Holloway, Queen Mary, City and Goldsmiths..
But I just want to get into UCL. :blushing:
I've applied to Oxford, Durham, Bristol, Warwick and Exeter :smile:
UCAS got sent on Friday,
Lancaster, Liverpool, Manchester, Birmingham and Leeds, waiting to be able to get onto track now!
I'm applying for a BSci, but if I get to Birmingham and do well enough I'll transfer onto their MSci in Psychological Practice, only reason I didn't apply to it directly is cause I dont have A Level Maths </3
I really wish the top uni's did more variation for Psychology, like applied courses such as Forensic ones, I really wish more Uni's did MSci's in Psychology too, my friend is doing chemistry and like, all Uni's do MSci's for that whereas at Birmingham told us that they're the only Uni that do a MSci in Psychology :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest