The Student Room Group

From Kaiser to Führer: Germany 1900-1945 discussion thread

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CD223
Has anyone got any tips for someone who will be starting this unit next year?

Hmm, with the controversy, start looking at the different historians perspectives and think about what YOU think in the debate. It is SUCH a good topic to study (I decided to take a gap year and am going to Berlin!) and as its the centenary, there has been a lot of WWI stuff on TV and online, so keep an eye out for useful documentaries etc.

Good luck and enjoy! Inbox me if you have any queries :smile: (got an A* in history in the end!! eeek)
Original post by puella_optima
Hmm, with the controversy, start looking at the different historians perspectives and think about what YOU think in the debate. It is SUCH a good topic to study (I decided to take a gap year and am going to Berlin!) and as its the centenary, there has been a lot of WWI stuff on TV and online, so keep an eye out for useful documentaries etc.

Good luck and enjoy! Inbox me if you have any queries :smile: (got an A* in history in the end!! eeek)

Wow, thanks for the quick reply! What would you say the best and worst parts of the course are? I've not looked at this unit properly yet as I don't start until we finish the coursework in October. Are there any good guides for it?

I personally do Maths, Physics and Computing as well as I want to do Comp Sci at university so people find it weird when I say I love history too!

Germany sounds fascinating!
Congratulations on your result, that's fantastic! Have fun in your gap year too!

I got 196/200 in the AS - do I essentially need to get 360/400 overall? Not sure how this A* works!
Original post by CD223
Has anyone got any tips for someone who will be starting this unit next year?

Ok im going to dispel everything the other user said, that's all a waste of time (something which you don't really have much of at A2)

Work intelligently, don't just work hard (my biggest mistake at A2 wasn't following this simple rule)

First things first follow this link:
http://getrevising.co.uk/resources?q=Kaiser+to+Fuhrer&level_id%5B0%5D=a2&subject_id%5B0%5D=history&sort=date&sort_dir=desc

I have uploaded ALL of my notes to this website (as Tom Smith)

My work mainly covers the WW1 Controversy (as to dispel an other myth, DON'T learn both controversies nobody has time for that just learn one and learn it well)

My work also contains essay plans for all past paper questions that have come up in section A

Search the website for some very good notes posted by a girl call Sumaiya, her work covers ALL of the other units

Do this and you'll have an easy ride, just augment my notes, and Sumaiya's notes with your own work,thoughts and ideas

To put some frosting on this beautiful cake of knowledge

Buy this book
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Student-Support-Materials-History-Edexcel/dp/000745743X/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1409347831&sr=8-3&keywords=kaiser+to+fuhrer

It covers every thing in varying degrees of detail, the crowning jewel of this book is that as its written by Edexcel the notes added by them are so invaluable, so much so that they even include MARKED grade A* essays as well as explaining the exam technique required in lots of detail towards the end of the book

For a second point of view buy this as well :
http://www.amazon.co.uk/My-Revision-Notes-Edexcel-History/dp/1444177672/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1409347831&sr=8-1&keywords=kaiser+to+fuhrer

The exam technique stuff isn't very useful, but it explains the different topics rather well and it's important to use these two books together as I found when one book wrote very little on a certain topic, the other book would make up for this

Last of all I'd say learn every unit first THEN go on to exam technique. you wonder why I say this but there is ALOT to learn. I'd recommend going on to past papers 2 months before the exam

This exam seems hard, but if you tackle it in the right manner you'll be fine. I being the smart man that I am, learnt everything finishing first then went on to learn the exam technique simply by using the first book I linked to you

Ps. In an earlier post I mentioned not touching a past paper for this exam, DONT do that, the only reason I did was because I knew I got an A in my coursework this in addition to my low A from AS guranteed me a C even if I failed the written exam, and ultimately I needed to start revision for my other A2 exams
Original post by diggy
Ok im going to dispel everything the other user said, that's all a waste of time (something which you don't really have much of at A2)

Work intelligently, don't just work hard (my biggest mistake at A2 wasn't following this simple rule)

First things first follow this link:
http://getrevising.co.uk/resources?q=Kaiser+to+Fuhrer&level_id%5B0%5D=a2&subject_id%5B0%5D=history&sort=date&sort_dir=desc

I have uploaded ALL of my notes to this website (as Tom Smith)

My work mainly covers the WW1 Controversy (as to dispel an other myth, DON'T learn both controversies nobody has time for that just learn one and learn it well)

My work also contains essay plans for all past paper questions that have come up in section A

Search the website for some very good notes posted by a girl call Sumaiya, her work covers ALL of the other units

Do this and you'll have an easy ride, just augment my notes, and Sumaiya's notes with your own work,thoughts and ideas

To put some frosting on this beautiful cake of knowledge

Buy this book
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Student-Support-Materials-History-Edexcel/dp/000745743X/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1409347831&sr=8-3&keywords=kaiser+to+fuhrer

It covers every thing in varying degrees of detail, the crowning jewel of this book is that as its written by Edexcel the notes added by them are so invaluable, so much so that they even include MARKED grade A* essays as well as explaining the exam technique required in lots of detail towards the end of the book

For a second point of view buy this as well :
http://www.amazon.co.uk/My-Revision-Notes-Edexcel-History/dp/1444177672/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1409347831&sr=8-1&keywords=kaiser+to+fuhrer

The exam technique stuff isn't very useful, but it explains the different topics rather well and it's important to use these two books together as I found when one book wrote very little on a certain topic, the other book would make up for this

Last of all I'd say learn every unit first THEN go on to exam technique. you wonder why I say this but there is ALOT to learn. I'd recommend going on to past papers 2 months before the exam

This exam seems hard, but if you tackle it in the right manner you'll be fine. I being the smart man that I am, learnt everything finishing first then went on to learn the exam technique simply by using the first book I linked to you

Ps. In an earlier post I mentioned not touching a past paper for this exam, DONT do that, the only reason I did was because I knew I got an A in my coursework this in addition to my low A from AS guranteed me a C even if I failed the written exam, and ultimately I needed to start revision for my other A2 exams

Thanks so much! That's all very helpful - I've bought those two books you recommended which is good! I will look at getrevising resources too! That's very kind of you!

Could you kindly explain how this differs to AS in terms of content? Is this exam roughly the equivalent of learning the content for the two exams last year combined? I also am not quite sure what these "controversies" are, however I shall follow your tips as I really appreciate your time, thank you!
Anyone found any good podcasts for this unit? I love audio learning history!
Original post by CD223
Thanks so much! That's all very helpful - I've bought those two books you recommended which is good! I will look at getrevising resources too! That's very kind of you!

Could you kindly explain how this differs to AS in terms of content? Is this exam roughly the equivalent of learning the content for the two exams last year combined? I also am not quite sure what these "controversies" are, however I shall follow your tips as I really appreciate your time, thank you!

Well the main difference to me was the coursework (more specifically Part B) and the exam structure (more specifically Question 2)

To expand on the coursework, what was easy is that for the Part A the way in which you tackle the sources is the same as your first History AS exam (mine was on British politics). you just focus on the provenance and how the source agrees/disagrees with your other sources.

What's daunting concerning the Part B of the coursework is that whatever question you choose, your answer must span the entire time period for your topic eg. mine was Russia from 1850 - 1960.

What else makes this difficult is that you have to find your OWN secondary sources, this was hard but if you pick a question that has been well researched by others already there will be no shortage of secondary source.

If you have any enquiries about the coursework, look at the examples I posted on GetRevising, additionally look at the examiner reports on the Edexcel website regarding past coursework entries, and print off the markscheme so your sure your doing the right things.

To expand on the exam, there is more to learn than both AS exams combined, but if you make essay plans for all possible questions that could come up (you'll find some in the first book I linked to you on Amazon) and then go on to learn those notes I linked to you on Get Revising you'll survive.

Ok there are two controversies : Controversy A - The First World War
Controversy B - Rise of the Nazi's

I can't stress this point enough just learn ONE in the exam for question 2, there WILL BE a question on Controversy A and B, you have to choose one and answer it

I'd recommend learning the WW1 controversy, it's very interesting, rather straightforward and of course there are lots of resources available for it

I don't recommend the Nazi Controversy, because most of it is about politics and political structure of the Nazi party making it very boring and difficult to learn

You'll probably have more questions in the future, but look at the notes and books I've linked to you first, they will answer your questions better than I can.

You'll be fine, you've started early well done and have had the pleasure of making contact with me. I had to teach myself 98% of things for the exam, because my teacher was a donkey apart from when it came to the coursework.
Original post by diggy
Well the main difference to me was the coursework (more specifically Part B) and the exam structure (more specifically Question 2)

To expand on the coursework, what was easy is that for the Part A the way in which you tackle the sources is the same as your first History AS exam (mine was on British politics). you just focus on the provenance and how the source agrees/disagrees with your other sources.

What's daunting concerning the Part B of the coursework is that whatever question you choose, your answer must span the entire time period for your topic eg. mine was Russia from 1850 - 1960.

What else makes this difficult is that you have to find your OWN secondary sources, this was hard but if you pick a question that has been well researched by others already there will be no shortage of secondary source.

If you have any enquiries about the coursework, look at the examples I posted on GetRevising, additionally look at the examiner reports on the Edexcel website regarding past coursework entries, and print off the markscheme so your sure your doing the right things.

To expand on the exam, there is more to learn than both AS exams combined, but if you make essay plans for all possible questions that could come up (you'll find some in the first book I linked to you on Amazon) and then go on to learn those notes I linked to you on Get Revising you'll survive.

Ok there are two controversies : Controversy A - The First World War
Controversy B - Rise of the Nazi's

I can't stress this point enough just learn ONE in the exam for question 2, there WILL BE a question on Controversy A and B, you have to choose one and answer it

I'd recommend learning the WW1 controversy, it's very interesting, rather straightforward and of course there are lots of resources available for it

I don't recommend the Nazi Controversy, because most of it is about politics and political structure of the Nazi party making it very boring and difficult to learn

You'll probably have more questions in the future, but look at the notes and books I've linked to you first, they will answer your questions better than I can.

You'll be fine, you've started early well done and have had the pleasure of making contact with me. I had to teach myself 98% of things for the exam, because my teacher was a donkey apart from when it came to the coursework.

Thank you so much for your invaluable advice!

I've completed Part A of my coursework:
"What was the significance of gas warfare and its usage in World War One?"

I used 1856/4000 words so I have 2,144 words left for Part B, which I've not a clue about the topic!

I've structured the Part A like my AS Britain exam like you said.

I believe we're doing the change of warfare over 100 years from Battle of Loos in 1815 to World War One in 1914-1918. Focusing on leadership, technology, etc.

Were your resources under Tom Smith, again?
Thank you!

Ah, so whatever happens you're guaranteed to get a question on ONE of the controversies?

The only reason I might question this move is...what if the question on the controversy you did revise is a lot harder to answer than the one you didn't? :s-smilie:

Sorry, just one more question, how does the actual knowledge itself differ from AS?

By that I mean is it a lot more names, dates and figures to remember or are there more things to remember such as historians' views, conspiracies, structures of organisations etc.

I can't thank you enough!
Original post by CD223
Thank you so much for your invaluable advice!

I've completed Part A of my coursework:
"What was the significance of gas warfare and its usage in World War One?"

I used 1856/4000 words so I have 2,144 words left for Part B, which I've not a clue about the topic!

I've structured the Part A like my AS Britain exam like you said.

I believe we're doing the change of warfare over 100 years from Battle of Loos in 1815 to World War One in 1914-1918. Focusing on leadership, technology, etc.

Were your resources under Tom Smith, again?
Thank you!

Ah, so whatever happens you're guaranteed to get a question on ONE of the controversies?

The only reason I might question this move is...what if the question on the controversy you did revise is a lot harder to answer than the one you didn't? :s-smilie:

Sorry, just one more question, how does the actual knowledge itself differ from AS?

By that I mean is it a lot more names, dates and figures to remember or are there more things to remember such as historians' views, conspiracies, structures of organisations etc.

I can't thank you enough!

Follow the link from my previous point it's on this page I just used it and it works

Trust me I researched the controversies alot specifically Controversy A, the questions are very repetitive so they were difficult at all

Well I only learned one Historians POV, and that was the Fischer thesis for Controversy A, but yes your right you will have to learn alot more dates names, dates, figures etc. (to be honest you can make these up in the exam as long as the figures aren't too crazy)

Your better prepared than I ever was for A2 History, it's good you've left more words for your Part B as it does deserve more depth

I don't mind helping, loads of people helped me on TSR I'm just keeping up the tradition :smile:
Original post by diggy
Follow the link from my previous point it's on this page I just used it and it works

Trust me I researched the controversies alot specifically Controversy A, the questions are very repetitive so they were difficult at all

Well I only learned one Historians POV, and that was the Fischer thesis for Controversy A, but yes your right you will have to learn alot more dates names, dates, figures etc. (to be honest you can make these up in the exam as long as the figures aren't too crazy)

Your better prepared than I ever was for A2 History, it's good you've left more words for your Part B as it does deserve more depth

I don't mind helping, loads of people helped me on TSR I'm just keeping up the tradition :smile:

Thanks a lot! Where are you off to now? Uni?:smile:
Original post by CD223
Thanks a lot! Where are you off to now? Uni?:smile:

Yeah i'm going to Newcastle university, where do you want to go ?

No problem man
Original post by diggy
Yeah i'm going to Newcastle university, where do you want to go ?

No problem man

Nice! What do you want to study? :smile:

I want to study Computer Science at Bath/Bristol/Southampton (still need more options ahah! when did you decide on 5 and apply?)
Original post by CD223
Nice! What do you want to study? :smile:

I want to study Computer Science at Bath/Bristol/Southampton (still need more options ahah! when did you decide on 5 and apply?)

Agriculture

That's cool, your gonna be the Mark Zuckerburg yeah ?:wink:

I can't remember when I chose tbh, I just chose the 5 highest ranked universities for my course
Original post by diggy
Agriculture

That's cool, your gonna be the Mark Zuckerburg yeah ?:wink:

I can't remember when I chose tbh, I just chose the 5 highest ranked universities for my course

ahaha I hope I don't get kicked out of uni for making a social network though :wink:

That's understandable! Well thank you for your help! I'm sure I'll stick around on this thread for the next year on and off so you'll probably be sick of seeing my username appear :wink:

Have fun at uni - extremely jealous!
Original post by CD223
ahaha I hope I don't get kicked out of uni for making a social network though :wink:

That's understandable! Well thank you for your help! I'm sure I'll stick around on this thread for the next year on and off so you'll probably be sick of seeing my username appear :wink:

Have fun at uni - extremely jealous!

haha but the money would make it all worth it !

Nope I probably won't come back to this thread unless I see it in the most popular section or if someone quotes me here lol

I'll definately live it up at university, don't worry man only one year left ( it will be the fastest year of your life)
Original post by diggy
haha but the money would make it all worth it !

Nope I probably won't come back to this thread unless I see it in the most popular section or if someone quotes me here lol

I'll definately live it up at university, don't worry man only one year left ( it will be the fastest year of your life)

That's great, thanks! Starting college on Monday...have fun at uni!

This year will be so busy!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by henriquez
I'm reading this now so I can give you a rough outline:

Economy:

Caused huge economic strain

Only 16% of the £8.4million cost of war was met. They did this through war bonds and printing money.

printing money led to inflation, so the mark declined in value 75% from 1913 to 1918.

The KRA (War Raw Materials Dept) had some success in supplying the German army but German agriculture was not mobilised effectively and that led to food shortages

Social:

2 million soldiers killed, 6.3 injured

Inflation and tight control of wages led to a 20%-30% drop in living standards

Shortages caused by the war effort and the British German Port Blockade caused the 1917 Turnip Winters, where turnips were the only food available

The fuel and food shortages caused misery, starvation and exacerbated the impact of the Spanish flu pandemic of 1918

Political:

Initial unity: at the start of the war, Germany were politically unified because of the signing of the burgfriede (political truce between all parties - the Kaiser said to the Reichstag "i know no parties anymore, only Germans"

However this did not last because the left believed the only type of justifiable war was a defensive one but the right wanted a war of expansion and conquest

Growing Disunity:

1917, SPD deputies break away to form anti-war and radical socialist uspd

Mounting concern about war led to a Reichstag vote (peace resolution) which urged the government to try and negotiation a peace settlement - left and centre party win by 212 - 126

War saw the formation of the communist Spartacist League who agitated for social revolution and an end to war

Worker discontent went up in 1916 because under the Auxiliary Service Law 1916 they are no longer allowed to freely change jobs. This meant by 1918 there's widespread discontent and significant strikes like the one inBerlin that lasted 5 days and involved half a million workers

By 1918, political polarisation is greater than had been before the war

Silent Dictatorship

During the war, the government becomes increasingly authoritarian and militaristic

The Kaiser is sidelined by the military and by 1916 Super Comm. Gen. Hindenburg and Ludendorff are essentially in charge of the country - a "Silent Dictatorship

Bethmann is isolated and forced out of office by the Generals and Georg Michaelis, followed by Georg von Hertling become Chancellors

The two Georg's are just puppets for Hindenburg and Ludendorff

Military government exacerbates the political and social tensions

Hope it helps!

This helped me so much thank you!!!
Brining this back to life!!!

Also I have a question (perhaps a silly one) but why were there so many reichstag elections??? I feel really dumb and probably keep on skipping a line of explanation somewhere. Obviously some elections were called early like in 1930 after it was dissolved but eg why were there two in 24? Was the May reichstag dissolved too?
We've just started this unit after the coursework! Where is everyone else up to in this and the coursework? :smile:
Omgg so happy there is a thread on this topic because i have been struggling painfully! I could do with help so badly and have so many questions so if anyone can help pls let me know! Been struggling with writing the essays and making sense of what the question is actually asking in some cases :erm:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by pearl_rose
Omgg so happy there is a thread on this topic because i have been struggling painfully! I could do with help so badly and have so many questions so if anyone can help pls let me know! Been struggling with writing the essays and making sense of what the question is actually asking in some cases :erm:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not even started looking at past exam questions. Only been doing the course a week lol

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending