The Student Room Group

Higher biology exam 2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
No problem, we're a team!
Reply 41
Yeah, furthest apart would always means the greatest recombinations you could make, so I don't see how they could trick you on it or anything like that:L
could someone please please please send me past paper answers for 2000, 2001 and 2002? i will be forever greatful!

my teacher just handed me a load of past papers - she has started to write the answer scheme for 2001 but given up :angry: (she only got a C at higher, no idea how she is now a biology teacher?!)
I am completely bricking it, yet here I am procrastinating on TSR. Damn my laziness! I'm glad that transpiration streams came up as the essay last year so are unlikely to this year. I hate the bloody transpiration stream *grumble grumble*. And cambiums, I don't understand them!!!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 44
Original post by Oncoming Storm
I am completely bricking it, yet here I am procrasinating on TSR. Damn my laziness! I'm glad that transpiration streams came up as the essay last year so are unlikely to this year. I hate the bloody transpiration stream *grumble grumble*. And cambiums, I don't understand them!!!

What dont you get about the cambium?
Original post by S7U4R7
What dont you get about the cambium?

Well, not the cambium specifically, but all that spring/autumn wood crap and the position of the cambium confuse me. I'm better with people!
Reply 46
Reply 47
Can anyone help me answer 2010 Multiple choice 13?

I don't get the answer is C cause since its a man how can he be heterozygous with XY?
I'm pretty sure im missing something really obvioous here...:L
Reply 48
Original post by TL3490

I don't get the answer is C cause since its a man how can he be heterozygous with XY?

It actually never mentions that the disease is sex-linked; it's just a normal allele. That family tree certainly tricked me, though!
Original post by TL3490

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=31811092

I explained this to Vitamin D earlier. :smile:
Reply 50
I hate how the Calvin cycle diagram questions always miss out TP in the diagram, and then have "product X" coming out of the cycle after GP I always write TP, and it's always an unacceptable answer. I just can't get used to it!

I know TP is unacceptable because it doesn't come out of the cycle per se, only products synthesised from it do, but it's still very unkind to trick me in such a way.
Reply 51
Oh right, I can get the question when its to do with the punnet sqaure. So this basically means that saying it was heterozygous when the question made you draw out the XY and XX chromosomes was to throw you off the scent?

Also I'm not sure how sex linkage comes into it, I only know that sex linkage means its on the same chromosome but I don't get how it makes you know which answer it is.:frown:
Reply 52
Original post by TL3490
Oh right, I can get the question when its to do with the punnet sqaure. So this basically means that saying it was heterozygous when the question made you draw out the XY and XX chromosomes was to throw you off the scent?

Also I'm not sure how sex linkage comes into it, I only know that sex linkage means its on the same chromosome but I don't get how it makes you know which answer it is.:frown:

Sex linkage doesn't come into it at all, is what I was saying. There's no need to think about X or Y chromosomes at all.

Other than that I think the other explanation provided is more helpful than what I could muster.
Reply 53
Ah right I get it now:biggrin: In any case, thanks both of you for helping me out:biggrin:
Original post by TL3490

There is no sex-linkage in that question at all. They're autosomes therefore not sex chromosomes (sexysomes?)

If you're confused about sex-linkage, here's what I had in my higher human notes from last year.

In humans, the sex of a person is controlled by genes found on sex chromosomes.

There are two SCs: Long one X and short one Y.

Women = XX, Men = YY.

The other 44 chromosomes are autosomes.

During meiosis, the sex chromosomes seperate therefore eggs can only have Xs and sperm can have X or Y.

Hence, sperm dictate what sex a child will be.

Not all genes on SCs are involved in development of sexuality. Many have nothing to do with sex at all.

These genes are sex-linked genes.

Sex-linked gene's inhertiance does not follow normal monohybrid crosses cos of the lack of genes on Y-chrom.

Males =\= heterozygous for such sex-linked genes.

Instead, they always express these genes in their phenotype regardless of dominance or recessivness.

Two e.g.s are the ges for colour vision and blood clotting factor (called factor 8 but you don't need to know this).

The mutant recessive alleles give colour blindness and haemophilia.

A good example of haemophilia and genetics is the royal family.

Therefore, a colour-blind woman, having children to a normal man, will have boys who are colour-blind and girls who, although carriers of the gene, have normal colour vision.

Could anyone help with 2009 paper Q. 23 (MC)? I thought the answer was B because the starch content starts at 6, when it has decreased by 50% it's at 3. When starch content is at 3, alpha-amylase = 6? But apparently it's D :s-smilie:
Reply 56
Yeah I think I know whats confusing me about sex-linked stuff now. I just realised that for an entire year, I thought linked and sex-linked were the exact same thing. *facepalm*
Reply 57
Original post by Vitamin D
Could anyone help with 2009 paper Q. 23 (MC)? I thought the answer was B because the starch content starts at 6, when it has decreased by 50% it's at 3. When starch content is at 3, alpha-amylase = 6? But apparently it's D :s-smilie:

Yeah I made this same mistake before:L You read the graph wrong, when the starch content is 3, you have to make sure they're both at the same time which is 4 days, so 4 days for amylase is 8.8 First time I done this i quickly looked horizontally and thought it was 6 too:L
Original post by TL3490
Yeah I made this same mistake before:L You read the graph wrong, when the starch content is 3, you have to make sure they're both at the same time which is 4 days, so 4 days for amylase is 8.8 First time I done this i quickly looked horizontally and thought it was 6 too:L

Ah I see :colondollar: turned out I was reading the amylase scale wrong too :tongue: thanks!
Original post by Vitamin D

Hmm that is quite a tricky one. But, I think you're looking at the wrong axis :p: (I did this at first too).

The dotted line is starch. It starts at 6, hence 50% is 3 (z-axis). Look at where the z-axis is 3, go cross to dotted line. Now, go up to the bold line (alpha-amylase) and you'll see that it's at 8.8 units on the y-axis (it's going up in 0.4s) :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending