The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Why did you decide to do a degree University id the **** in terms of a fun three years and pepole with degrees earn more money

To pass time? Not particularly

No clue on what career you want? Definitely not a reason - im pretty focused

It looks good on your CV BSc BA? Yeah it does look pretty good

Is your degree going to help you land your 'dream' job after graduation? Most probably - big firms like accenture, deloitte and PWC all operate graduate recruitment programmes

Is your student debt worthwhile? Yes

Would you still do the degree course if you had to pay the £3k top up fee? Yes, but i was lucky - i got in before top up fees :biggrin:
Reply 21
Because practicing in my chosen field without the degree I'm currently studying for is a criminal offence :wink:
To improve my future prospects,to open up more doors for me...and..for the experience.

Not that bothered about debt tbh!
Why did you decide to do a degree? I love the subject and had always seen a degree as the next step after sixth form

No clue on what career you want? Well...sort of, uni helps to put off that aspect a little bit

It looks good on your CV BSc BA? If I graduate, hopefully it will

Is your degree going to help you land your 'dream' job after graduation? Maybe...once I figure out what that dream job is!

Is your student debt worthwhile? Yes.

It's is a interesting question. Less people submitted applications for UCAS to process for the October deadline.

So it is clear student top up fees are making most people think twice before making any application.

Would you still do the degree course if you had to pay the £3k top up fee? Yes, although I wouldn't like it - I'm glad I missed it.
Reply 24
White_redrose
It's is a interesting question. Less people submitted applications for UCAS to process for the October deadline.

So it is clear student top up fees are making most people think twice before making any application.

Well, there's that, and also, more people who perhaps would have had a gap year and applied this year instead went straight to Uni. Hence why Unis are massively oversubscribed this year.
Reply 25
Why did you decide to do a degree?
Wanted to further my knowledge and gain a valuable qualification as the value of a-levels is questionable
No clue on what career you want? Very much so, my degree is neccessary for my to qualify as a practising Veterinary Surgeon
It looks good on your CV BSc BA? Yeh I quite fancy BVMS MRCVS after my name :p:
Is your degree going to help you land your 'dream' job after graduation? Definitly, Glasgow Vet School has an international reputation so shouldnt be too hard
Is your student debt worthwhile? Yeh, its getting me into the profession I have always wanted to be in, and my salary should hopeful help clear it pretty quickly
Would you still do the degree course if you had to pay the £3k top up fee? Yeh, its what i've always wanted to do and nothing would stop me
Reply 26
I like learning. Simple as that.

To pass time?
Nope, it's something I want to do.

No clue on what career you want?
I don't have any idea on what I want to do. A degree in Maths is very flexible when looking to find an area to work in.

It looks good on your CV BSc BA?
It does, but that's not a reason for me going

Is your degree going to help you land your 'dream' job after graduation?
I've got no idea what I want to be after uni.

Is your student debt worthwhile?
Yes.

Would you still do the degree course if you had to pay the £3k top up fee?
Yes,
Reply 27
If I'm utterly honest I decided to a degree to avoid being under-qualified relative to my peers in the labour market.
Reply 28
ZigZag
If I'm utterly honest I decided to a degree to avoid being under-qualified relative to my peers in the labour market.

Me too.
Reply 29

Was the 'thing to do', it's not like there was another option even contemplated...

To pass time?

Yep, that too.

Nope, i had a fair idea, though uni opens your eyes and my career ideas changed (a bit).

Certainly no harm done!

They never do. They just ensure door isn't closed to begin with.

Oh yes, i'd have gladly ended up with a100k of of debt...they only take 9% of your salary over 15k (or something)...peanuts.

As above...oh yes!
Reply 30
Poica
If you go to a private school then you're rich. Of course the top up fee means very little to you if you're rich.

uuuh, no not neccessarily!! Why does everyone have this view? I go to a private school at the moment and my family is really is not what id call 'rich'. I have a 50% scholarship and my mother works full time to send me there. With regards to paying top up fees when i go to uni in september 2006, i will be taking out a loan just like everyone else and struggling to then pay it off.
Reply 31
nuttymimi
uuuh, no not neccessarily!! Why does everyone have this view? I go to a private school at the moment and my family is really is not what id call 'rich'. I have a 50% scholarship and my mother works full time to send me there. With regards to paying top up fees when i go to uni in september 2006, i will be taking out a loan just like everyone else and struggling to then pay it off.

Rich is relative. If a family have always struggled on a minimum wage, then sending a kid to private school would be totally out of the question. To that family you would be considered rich.

Nothing implied, just a comment.
Reply 32
Poica
If you go to a private school then you're rich. Of course the top up fee means very little to you if you're rich.

Im not rich btw. I would say im well off but not rich.
Anyways im sure it will affect people at least ur paying it after yoy graduate and start earning. The cost will be very small as it will be paid over many years so i dont see whta the big dooddle is abot
Reply 33
AT82
I need a degree for the area of work I want to do and it also opens a lot more doors than if I didn't have a degree.

and have u got a job :d:
Reply 34
I have applied to university because I enjoy Maths. I could study Maths in my own time but I doubt I wouldn't have anything (i.e. a degree) to show for it.
Reply 35
coz i have to do it in order to work in my chosen field (physiotherapy)

To pass time?
No, I really wanted to be a physio so

Only one to choose :smile:

Fair enuf :biggrin:, but thats just a bonus

Yep

oh yea :smile:

yep the NHS pays for my top up fees any way!!! :p:
Reply 36
James T
Im not rich btw. I would say im well off but not rich.
Anyways im sure it will affect people at least ur paying it after yoy graduate and start earning. The cost will be very small as it will be paid over many years so i dont see whta the big dooddle is abot

Rich is relative. I'd say my family is well off rather than rich, but to those living in council housing I'm sure my family is rich. You family is undoubtedly richer than most in that your parents can afford £3000 top up fees just like that.

And the cost is a tax of a minimum of 9% when you earn over £15,000 after graduation, and subject to inflation - not a small amount.

--------------

Zymoen
Rich is relative. If a family have always struggled on a minimum wage, then sending a kid to private school would be totally out of the question. To that family you would be considered rich.

Nothing implied, just a comment.

Ha ha, I just read your post after posting mine a moment ago - great minds think alike and all that....
Reply 37
Poica
I don't agree with that at all...................my parents are anything from rich but struggled through 7 years paying for me to go to a private school................even with an assisted place I almost had to drop out at one point because they weren't sure if they could afford it anymore. Fortunately my school paid the excess so I could stay as I only had a year left..................................don't jump to conclusions

it is my personal opinion some families could probably afford to send their children to private should they choose to but assuming you have to mega rich therefore puts people off even considering the idea to start with (which it initially did to my parents). Whilst assisted places don't exist anymore, most schools have funds in places to cover most/all of the fees of kids whose family may struggle to find all/some of the fees............and there are scholarships etc.............................I know it sounds sad but when I was 9/10 I used to always say to my parents "I want to go to that school" everytime we drove past it and I remember my mother turning green just at the thought of how much it cost...............................anyway, I took the test, got offered an assisted place and my parents realised because of that it wouldn't cost them as much as they hd imagined..................it was still a struggle for them................my parents and my brother went without a lot of things so that I could go to that school but I guaratee you tey'll probably say that it was the best use of their money........................sure we could have had better holidays and betters cars but in the long term having these things is nothing in comparison to a good education (and before everyone jumps at me, I am not saying at all that you an't get a good education if you don't go to a private school)

At the end of the day what I'm trying to say is that sometimes people need to entertain the thought of sending their kids to those kind of schools and need to look at all the costs involved before automatically assuming its out of their reach which it isn't always

But back to the point of th thread - I wentto uni a)because I had a genuine interest in the subject and b) it's illegal to call yourself a physiotherapist without a physiotherapy degree!
Reply 38
JackieS
I don't agree with that at all...................my parents are anything from rich but struggled through 7 years paying for me to go to a private school................even with an assisted place I almost had to drop out at one point because they weren't sure if they could afford it anymore. Fortunately my school paid the excess so I could stay as I only had a year left..................................don't jump to conclusions

it is my personal opinion some families could probably afford to send their children to private should they choose to but assuming you have to mega rich therefore puts people off even considering the idea to start with (which it initially did to my parents). Whilst assisted places don't exist anymore, most schools have funds in places to cover most/all of the fees of kids whose family may struggle to find all/some of the fees............and there are scholarships etc.............................I know it sounds sad but when I was 9/10 I used to always say to my parents "I want to go to that school" everytime we drove past it and I remember my mother turning green just at the thought of how much it cost...............................anyway, I took the test, got offered an assisted place and my parents realised because of that it wouldn't cost them as much as they hd imagined..................it was still a struggle for them................my parents and my brother went without a lot of things so that I could go to that school but I guaratee you tey'll probably say that it was the best use of their money........................sure we could have had better holidays and betters cars but in the long term having these things is nothing in comparison to a good education (and before everyone jumps at me, I am not saying at all that you an't get a good education if you don't go to a private school)

At the end of the day what I'm trying to say is that sometimes people need to entertain the thought of sending their kids to those kind of schools and need to look at all the costs involved before automatically assuming its out of their reach which it isn't always

But back to the point of th thread - I wentto uni a)because I had a genuine interest in the subject and b) it's illegal to call yourself a physiotherapist without a physiotherapy degree!

Totally agree theres many people at my college who are on EMA (i.e. 30 quid a week if your household income is less than 15k so yeh there really rich :rolleyes:
So please dont take such a stereotypical view that were rich coz were not
Reply 39
James T
Totally agree theres many people at my college who are on EMA (i.e. 30 quid a week if your household income is less than 15k so yeh there really rich :rolleyes:
So please dont take such a stereotypical view that were rich coz were not

Sorry, am I missing some key definition about private school here? The majority of people at public schools pay great amounts of money to go there. Instead of going to a grammar or comprehensive where you don't have to pay. Ergo: you are richer than most if you have paid to go there.

Latest

Trending

Trending