The Student Room Group

Irregular periods

Right, my periods have always been a bit irregular, but in the last year or so (since starting uni) they have been completely unpredictable. I think it's probably down to stress, cos I've been feeling a lot more anxious and generally down since coming to uni. Anyway, I've talked to my GP and he mentioned putting me on the pill, but I really don't want to do this. Has anyone had any experience of different treatments for irregular periods (medication or homeopathic remedies), or have any ideas of what I can do please?
Reply 1
awkward_eagle
Right, my periods have always been a bit irregular, but in the last year or so (since starting uni) they have been completely unpredictable. I think it's probably down to stress, cos I've been feeling a lot more anxious and generally down since coming to uni. Anyway, I've talked to my GP and he mentioned putting me on the pill, but I really don't want to do this. Has anyone had any experience of different treatments for irregular periods (medication or homeopathic remedies), or have any ideas of what I can do please?

I had similar problems which I just put down to stress, starting uni, dad being very ill etc and a set of blood tests provided I had polycystic ovary syndrome.............I went on the pill and found that this regulated them but I had to stop because it was giving me migraines...................lots of studies have shown that metformin (the drug given to diabetics to control their insulin levels) has a very big affect on period regulation in those with PCOS as there is a link between PCOS and insulin regulation.................perhaps you should voice your concerns to your GP and explain why you don't want to to go on the pill and then perhaps you could have a set of tests to find out if you do have PCOS and then you could try metformin perhaps? I tried metformin for abotu 2 years but it did't help me as I was also on the progesterone only pill at the time as I needed contraception but lots of women who have taken metformin alone have reported very very good results.

symptoms of PCOS include (but not exclusively)
-being overweight
-extra hair
-acne
-irregular or loss of periods

But these are not finite symptoms - did you know posh spice has PCOS and look how thin she is!

Can I ask why you don't want to go on the pill? It is pretty much the most effective treatment for period irregularity.

Speak to your GP about your concerns and see what else they can suggest
Jackie
Reply 2
I had a blood test a couple of months ago to check for anything physical that could be causing me to feel stressed etc. I don't know if they specifically checked for PCOS, but I'm pretty sure the doc said they would check my hormone levels... I never heard anything back from the doctor, so I'm assuming the blood tests came back fine, but I will ask when I see the doctor again this week.

The main reason I don't want to go on the pill is because I know many people who have had bad experiences with it, and I don't like the idea of being stuck on medication for life when it isn't really essential- it's just mucking with your body's natural state. One of my friends ended up bleeding heavily for a month on the pill, I don't really wanna end up having problems like that.
Reply 3
awkward_eagle
I had a blood test a couple of months ago to check for anything physical that could be causing me to feel stressed etc. I don't know if they specifically checked for PCOS, but I'm pretty sure the doc said they would check my hormone levels... I never heard anything back from the doctor, so I'm assuming the blood tests came back fine, but I will ask when I see the doctor again this week.

The main reason I don't want to go on the pill is because I know many people who have had bad experiences with it, and I don't like the idea of being stuck on medication for life when it isn't really essential- it's just mucking with your body's natural state. One of my friends ended up bleeding heavily for a month on the pill, I don't really wanna end up having problems like that.

peoples repsonses to the pill are completely individual. Once you start taking it, its not for life you can stop taking it whenever you choose............perhaps you could try for a few months and see how it affects you and then make a decision. At least you'll be able to say you tried? Taking the pill make be "mucking up your natural state" as you say, but at the same time it is not NORMAL to have irregular periods, so by actually going on the pill you may be resuming your body's natural state.......do you see what I mean. Personally I would try the pill and see what happens. Waht happens for your mates might not happen for you. Its better than stressing about everything and therefore making your periods more irregular...........plus, if you do have PCOS and decide to go on metformin, trust me when I say that the side effects of that are much worse than being on the pill! Well, thats what I found!
Reply 4
I have exactly the same problem. My doctor has just suggested doing a progesterone challenge but I didn't really want to have to take hormones. At the moment I am trying a set of diet and medication prescribed from a place called integral well being. I have been on it for 2 weeks so far and although no periods yet I do feel better.
I dont know much, but id say its down to stress. Try to calm down, or do calming things. If all else fails, take stress tablets or see your GP
Reply 6
Yeah the pill can mess with your periods, the combined one can help regulate your periods while the mini-pill can make them even more irregular. I started taking the mini-pill just over 2 weeks a go on the first day of my period and it seemed to shorten it and make my period very light. It lasted 2 days. Now, 2 weeks later, I'm on my period again but this is normal flow. My GP told me that its normal to get spotting or irregular periods on the mini-pill, I'm on (Cerazette), so its normal in the first few months.

It could also be due to stress or weight changes. Uni work does cause me some stress and I've lost about a stone since starting Uni in September so this could be the cause for me too.
Reply 7
Maybe you should relax over Christmas and New Year, see if that has any effect? x
Reply 8
Thanks for the help guys. :smile: I've come to the conclusion that a better solution for me would be to treat the root of the problem- feeling stressed- rather than just the symptoms it's causing.
Reply 9
I go months without them but my GP can't find anything wrong with me! I'm not even under stress.. at least i don't think so :redface:

Latest