The Student Room Group

working in a shop

all you do is turn up stock the goods and chat with fellow collegues about stuff

then walk around the shop floor finding things to do

at the tills can be hard as its fast paced and dealing with customers are a nightmare as they always want help but you can't help them as you have no knowledge about the product/service you just work there

using the shops computer system can be confusing , pressing the wrong buttons can be a nightmare
Which is why I will never work in a shop, it's like lowering yourself down, forget that. I'm happy with what I do now, being outside making good money, meeting people and selling!
I worked in a charity shop... I liked chatting to the elderly people who came in and there were some funny incidences like a guy who came into the back room wearing a pair of women's trousers and asking us if we though they'd be alright to wear to a party as a cowboy... Mind numbingly boring sometimes but the till experience is good. To conclude therefore: what was your purpose in starting this thread?
I volunteer in a charity shop, which is OK but I'd like to upgrade to a paid job somewhere sometime.

Original post by TheCurlyHairedDude
Which is why I will never work in a shop, it's like lowering yourself down, forget that. I'm happy with what I do now, being outside making good money, meeting people and selling!

Which job is it you do? Just curious :smile:
Original post by CherryCherryBoomBoom
I volunteer in a charity shop, which is OK but I'd like to upgrade to a paid job somewhere sometime.

Which job is it you do? Just curious :smile:

Inspirational Idea LTD, people come to us for ideas on events. We generate ideas and make money from it, so essentially selling ideas. And along with that we pitch other products and services for the events, so we could make money from creating cups/plates/cutlery for an event for the company... :smile:

Flair events - Event staffing, bar work...

And I'm juggling that with the Census interviewer job aswell :smile:
Reply 5
I work in a shop...
But as it's a little shop, I have a bigger role in advertising - editing photos and making posters/flyers/stuff for the website.
Plus it's a temporary basis till uni - nothing wrong with a little student spending money :smile:
Original post by 01jtiong
all you do is turn up stock the goods and chat with fellow collegues about stuff

then walk around the shop floor finding things to do

Haha. Probably the case if you work in Topshop, but I can promise you it's not the case if you work in a supermarket.
Is working on a till hard?
Reply 8
till work is hard if not familar with the system and also face to face with customers is not good don;t like it
Original post by ultimate mashup
Is working on a till hard?

No, not really; once you've been trained at what to do then it's actually pretty easy. Though, I'd say I'm not very confident at doing refunds and exchanges by myself yet (but it's not often I do them anyway), but normal transactions and card transactions are very straightforward.
Reply 10
the fact remain working in retail is bad, any job that faces customers is no good
Original post by 01jtiong
the fact remain working in retail is bad, any job that faces customers is no good

Any job facing customers is no good? So you're not very good with people then? un-confident or ....?
No, not really; once you've been trained at what to do then it's actually pretty easy. Though, I'd say I'm not very confident at doing refunds and exchanges by myself yet (but it's not often I do them anyway), but normal transactions and card transactions are very straightforward.

Thanks for that
Reply 13
Ugh I work on tills. But we can't talk... apparently... I got a 'detention' so to speak for doing so, even though I was doing my job at the same time and not with a customer. Just printed off some CVs. I think 3 and a half years is enough at one place. Retail work is just vile.
I don't think working in a shop is 'lowering yourself'. I'm a student and when I was in 6th form worked part-time in a shop because it was convenient and I needed money but I wouldn't consider it to be a low job because that's all I was really qualified to do at 17-18. I wouldn't want to work in one for the rest of my life, but a job is a job at the end of the day doesn't matter how boring and samey it is, and I actually quite enjoyed it. Much more than I enjoy waitressing in a 5* hotel which I hate at the moment!

In my job when I worked in a card shop I wasn't allowed to do refunds, exchanges and discount. Which is really annoying because only the manager could do it and if they were on lunch break I had to tell the customer to come back later which is really awkward :/ It is quite an easy job on tills though but quite repetitive!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending