The Student Room Group

Dentistry + volunteering

Hi all,

I'm in year 12 & I was just wondering if having a part-time job as a barista/ cafe assistent could substitute for working in a charity shop, care home etc. I was looking at dentistry application advice, and one thing that cropped up a lot was volunteering in order to show & improve your communication skills with the public as well as showing empathy.

I used to work in a charity shop when I was in year 11 but I ended up leaving to work in a cafe because I needed the money. I've noticed that the skills I've used for working in a charity shop & in a cafe are similar , so could I talk about my job instead of doing charity work in my dentistry application or do you think voluntary work is a vital part of the application. (I've got work exp booked in a dental practice so that's not an issue)
Reply 1
I don’t see anything wrong with that as long as you have work experience! I’m a vet student and used my job in a pub as a massive part of my application and in interviews because the skills I developed were completely relevant. It shows you have real life experience dealing with people and different situations.
Original post by 234532dsd32
Hi all,

I'm in year 12 & I was just wondering if having a part-time job as a barista/ cafe assistent could substitute for working in a charity shop, care home etc. I was looking at dentistry application advice, and one thing that cropped up a lot was volunteering in order to show & improve your communication skills with the public as well as showing empathy.

I used to work in a charity shop when I was in year 11 but I ended up leaving to work in a cafe because I needed the money. I've noticed that the skills I've used for working in a charity shop & in a cafe are similar , so could I talk about my job instead of doing charity work in my dentistry application or do you think voluntary work is a vital part of the application. (I've got work exp booked in a dental practice so that's not an issue)

A part-time job at a cafe will show the admissions team is that you're good with public facing (as needed with patients) with good people's skills, which is very important and transferrable to talk about in interview. Personally, I think that volunteering is one of the best ways to show that you're empathetic and compassionate, and while it's still completely possible to do this in a job, volunteering shows how you can take aside time in your week to do the same thing without financial incentive. It doesn't matter if you no longer volunteer at the charity shop, it's worth mentioning.

Quick Reply

Latest