The Student Room Group

Mei(ocr) FP1 review 20th may 2011 exam!!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Gaige
The equation of circle is just spotting that they both have the same magnitude on an argand diagram really took me a good 10 mins to figure our
And well my method seemed sound i ended up with the in equality:
0<X^2-1 hence my answer was -1<x<1

The answer for the inequality was posted a page or two back. (Checked via Wolfram).
If I remember rightly it was -1<x<0 and x>1.
Reply 41
Right, I think on the whole I got most things right.. But for the method of differences question I made a stupid mistake..

For the first term, I managed to stupidly put 1/1 - 1/5 when it should've been 1/2 - 1/5..

I then worked through it correctly and found what would've been the S(20) if I hadn't have made that error..
Would I get any follow through marks, or method marks for setting it up correctly?

How many marks would I lose..

Cheers
Reply 42
Generally a good exam, got most of the same answers as you guys, however on the inequalities question i had a mare and left the answer as -rt1 < x < 0 and x >rt1
Because in my haste i forgot rt1 is 1.......I wonder if they'll give me the mark xD
How about that arg question - I had the angle at -0.245 or so.
Oh dear. I got the -1<x<0 and x>1 originally, I crossed it because I thought there was no way that it would be correct :rolleyes:, that's what happened a lot throughout the exam.
I couldn't do the asymptotes question either, the sketching at the end, is probably incorrect, I don't think it crosses the asymptote there, I can't enter things into calculators..
I could not believe my luck with the proof by induction question. It was amazingly easy compared to some of the other papers, I was rather astounded at its beauty.. :') (After a couple of days of intense maths revision, I have ignited a spark between maths and myself..)
I quite liked that paper, compared with C1 on Wednesday. That killed me inside, and panic ensued from there.
Original post by zerrip
i got 2.89661,
-0.245 is the value from the left rather than the right, so you need to do pi-0.245

also your calculator probably has a polar function that can check it

so root(17)(cos(2.897)+jsin(2.897))

Fair enough.
Reply 46
Original post by zerrip
i got 2.89661,
-0.245 is the value from the left rather than the right, so you need to do pi-0.245

also your calculator probably has a polar function that can check it

so root(17)(cos(2.897)+jsin(2.897))

did it have to be to 3 d.p coz i wrote it as 2.90, i would have to imagine that i would still get full marks
Reply 47
For the mod-arg form I put root(17)(cos{theta)...and so on and put underneath *where theta = 2.897

...would that suffice, you reckon?
Original post by MHRed
For the mod-arg form I put root(17)(cos{theta)...and so on and put underneath *where theta = 2.897

...would that suffice, you reckon?

You put 17(cosθ+isinθ) \sqrt{17}(cos \theta +isin \theta)
and then defined theta?

I can't imagine they'd take marks off you for that.
Unless you get a particularly anal examiner.
Reply 49
Didn't get the circle, everything else was dandy :biggrin:
Reply 50
Original post by karchun
well it was y=0 i think - my £90 graphics calculator clearly highlighted that it was y=0 because there are 3(infinity signs at top)/1 infinity at bottom - the bottom cancels out to 0 so 2/0 would obviously be zero!

in this situation
3*large number/large number=3
Reply 51
Original post by TimmonaPortella
You put 17(cosθ+isinθ) \sqrt{17}(cos \theta +isin \theta)
and then defined theta?

I can't imagine they'd take marks off you for that.
Unless you get a particularly anal examiner.

:ahee:
Reply 52
how many marks do you think i will lose by only putting x>1 as the answer for the inequality question?
Probably only one if you did the rest the question right. For that one I rearranged the inequality and got x(x-1)(x+1)>0 , sketched the graph and did it that way.
Reply 54
ye i realised i for got to factoriese the (x^2-1) into (x-1)(x+1). stupid mistake
Reply 55
That quartic roots question had me stumped for ages, I kept getting a complex coefficient for the 2nd coefficient you had to work out. Then I saw my mistake >.> and what a dumb mistake it was xD

Original post by aams
did it have to be to 3 d.p coz i wrote it as 2.90, i would have to imagine that i would still get full marks

3 sf got the marks in every past paper.
(edited 12 years ago)
I thought it was easy... Nothing to worry about
for the arg question about modulus and argument you had to add pie to the angle you get as the real axes is negative and imaginary is positive
Reply 58
Original post by tooosh
That quartic roots question had me stumped for ages, I kept getting a complex coefficient for the 2nd coefficient you had to work out. Then I saw my mistake >.> and what a dumb mistake it was xD

3 sf got the marks in every past paper.

I wrote 2.9radians, would that be okay?
Reply 59
Original post by squivers26
I wrote 2.9radians, would that be okay?

I would imagine so.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending