The Student Room Group

OCR - Religious Studies (AS Level) Philosophy AND Ethics on 26th May 2011

How's everyone revising?
& any suggestions on questions that are likely to come up...
Reply 1
I don't know what to revise and i'm really scared! With philosophy i believe that either Plato or Aristotle will probably come up as they weren't in the January exam, with ethics i'm going to concentrate of Utilitarianism, Kant's moral theory and Natural law as they seem to always be in the past papers! All a risk but i'm going over everything, but with some stuff in more detail.
How are you getting precise stuff into your head? I'm finding it really hard with Philosophy and Ethics compared to history. I don't know whether i should just concentrate on certain bits of the subjects or do a less detailed but over all the course when i do revision! I want a B in the exam, but don't seem to know precise enough detail, ARGHGGHHGH
I'm really scared too! I am just going to revise things I find the easiest in lots of detail and a few things i struggle with can be scrapped all together as I definitely wont be attempting them in the exam so theres no point. I think Plato will be in philosophy, not sure about ethics
Reply 3
I hope Ontological Arg comes up! Would be epic!
Reply 4
I'm finishing off going through ethics stuff today and then it'll be cramming attempting to learn it in detail.

I want Plato and his cave, so easy for an A question to explain that!

Annoyed the exams are straight after each, my arms going to kill!
Reply 5
Does anybody know what the last paper for ethics is? I can't find the january 2011 paper anywhere!
Reply 6
Does anyone have the actual questions for Jan 11? would appreciate it if anyone has it :smile:
Reply 7
I found the ones for philosophy, here they are if anyone needs them..

1(a) Explain what it means to say that 'God is good'. [25]
(b) 'To what extent are things only good because God commands them? [10]

2(a) Explain why some creationists do not believe in the Big Bang theory. [25]
(b) ‘Scientists are the only ones who can explain why the universe is here.’ Discuss. [10]

3(a) Explain the nature of the problem of evil. [25]
(b) 'Moral evil may be the fault of humanity but natural evil is God's fault.' Discuss. [10]

4(a) Explain what Kant means by 'Summum Bonum'. [25]
(b) 'The existence of morality is not evidence for the existence of God.' Discuss. [10]
Reply 8

Original post by vs56
I found the ones for philosophy, here they are if anyone needs them..

1(a) Explain what it means to say that 'God is good'. [25]
(b) 'To what extent are things only good because God commands them? [10]

2(a) Explain why some creationists do not believe in the Big Bang theory. [25]
(b) ‘Scientists are the only ones who can explain why the universe is here.’ Discuss. [10]

3(a) Explain the nature of the problem of evil. [25]
(b) 'Moral evil may be the fault of humanity but natural evil is God's fault.' Discuss. [10]

4(a) Explain what Kant means by 'Summum Bonum'. [25]
(b) 'The existence of morality is not evidence for the existence of God.' Discuss. [10]

thank you!!!
Reply 9
i think the cosmological argument might come up. Theres just so much to learn :confused:
Reply 10
Does anyone know of any dos and don'ts for the exam? technique wise? I could really do with the help :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by vs56
Does anyone know of any dos and don'ts for the exam? technique wise? I could really do with the help :smile:

http://philosophicalinvestigations.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=614:final-thoughts-important&catid=50:blog&Itemid=55

this site is amazing, my teacher showed it to me because she's friendly with the man who runs it. Good luck on Thursday! Fingers crossed genetic engineering doesn't come up!
Reply 12
Original post by maymaymo
http://philosophicalinvestigations.co.uk/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=614:final-thoughts-important&catid=50:blog&Itemid=55

this site is amazing, my teacher showed it to me because she's friendly with the man who runs it. Good luck on Thursday! Fingers crossed genetic engineering doesn't come up!

thankyou!!
Reply 13
planning not revising goodness of god or moral argument, as they came up in Jan - is there a chance they could come up? and do you guys think we still should revise theodices seeing as the Jan question focused on the problem of evil itself? thanks :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending