The Student Room Group

Edexcel Physics Unit 4 - 21st June 2011

Scroll to see replies

Original post by fatima00
yh its jus 1 mark:/ bt i dont get it why they've added all the masses.in annihilation qs we always subtract mass of those on the right frm mass of those on the left.tht gives us d mass defect which we substitute into E=mc^2 for energy released:/

There's absolutely NO mass defect in annihilation of electron/positron. They aren't hadrons, they are leptons. They feel no strong force. They are also seperated. To find out the energy released you simply use 2mc^2.
(edited 12 years ago)
PLEASE SOME ONE HELP ME WITH THIS QUESTION FROM REVISION GUIDE. :\

Page 13 Quick questions Q3. :\

The question is here:

A ceiling fan is turning at a rate of 100 revolutions per minute. A spider is clinging to a blade of the fan. If the spider experiences a centripetal acceleration greater than 3g, it will lose its grip on the blade and be flung off. How far from the centre of the fan can the spider go safely?
THE ANSWER IS 1.05m , and thats weird.
HELP :frown:
Original post by sciencefreak00

PLEASE SOME ONE HELP ME WITH THIS QUESTION FROM REVISION GUIDE. :\

Page 13 Quick questions Q3. :\

The question is here:

A ceiling fan is turning at a rate of 100 revolutions per minute. A spider is clinging to a blade of the fan. If the spider experiences a centripetal acceleration greater than 3g, it will lose its grip on the blade and be flung off. How far from the centre of the fan can the spider go safely?

OMG ! I had the SAME DOUBT! =|
Hey was doing the Jan 2010 past paper, can't work out where I've gone wrong on question 5:

"Figure 1 shows a vertical plane square coil of 50 turns, carrying a current of 3.0 A. The
length of each side of the coil is 4.0 cm. Figure 2 shows a view of this coil from above
within a horizontal magnetic field of flux density 0.20 T."

(In the figure they show a wire at 30 degrees to the direction of the magnetic field.)

The question is find out the force on a side of the coil so I did:

F=BIlsin30
F=0.2x3x0.04x0.5
F=0.012N - however this isn't even an option - they give the answer of 1.2N

I have no idea where I went wrong, and I'm starting to wonder if they made an error and forgot to put cm's into m's. Any help?
Original post by vampire-love4ever
omg ! I had the same doubt! =|

pleaseee some one solve our doubt. :frown: :frown:

pleaseee some one solve our doubt. :frown: :frown:

I tried it like billion times but no chance. I will try it again and see if I can solve it this time. :redface:
Original post by greenwoodfan93
Hey was doing the Jan 2010 past paper, can't work out where I've gone wrong on question 5:

"Figure 1 shows a vertical plane square coil of 50 turns, carrying a current of 3.0 A. The
length of each side of the coil is 4.0 cm. Figure 2 shows a view of this coil from above

(In the figure they show a wire at 30 degrees to the direction of the magnetic field.)

F=BIlsin30
F=0.2x3x0.04x0.5

I have no idea where I went wrong, and I'm starting to wonder if they made an error and forgot to put cm's into m's. Any help?

You need to multiply your answer by 50 :smile: The more turns the wire has, the more "open surfaces" the wire has, and thus the greater the force.
Original post by Summerdays
You need to multiply your answer by 50 :smile: The more turns the wire has, the more "open surfaces" the wire has, and thus the greater the force.

Cheers, forgot about that and was using the wrong angle for the coil. Got it now. :smile:
Reply 90
Original post by Vampire-Love4ever
I tried it like billion times but no chance. I will try it again and see if I can solve it this time. :redface:

haha the ans is 0.03m ...the revision guide has the ans wrong :tongue:
Cheers, forgot about that and was using the wrong angle for the coil. Got it now. :smile:

i dont get that question either - can you gimme a working of how u got it in end plls?
Original post by aym3n

Original post by aym3n
haha the ans is 0.03m ...the revision guide has the ans wrong :tongue:

0MGGGGGG. Really? How did you know? :|
Btw, another question with a wrong answer? :p:
Reply 93
0MGGGGGG. Really? How did you know? :|
Btw, another question with a wrong answer? :p:

lol a friend posted this question on yahoo answers and all the people got this ans

lol there is a question in which u have to find the force... the question mentions the diameter but tht diameter is actually the radius... i think its question 1 on page 15 :tongue: not sure though :tongue:
Reply 94

There's absolutely NO mass defect in annihilation of electron/positron. They aren't hadrons, they are leptons. They feel no strong force. They are also seperated. To find out the energy released you simply use 2mc^2.

no mass defect?:O no mass defect is wen the 2 collide bt do not produce any other particles right?cz thn all their mass changes to energy..nd in the q i askd..they produced 5 particles.so shudnt v consider the masses of all the particles formed?
that's not mass defect. Mass defect is when you are specifically talking about a nucleus having less energy than its constituent particles because the separated particles have more potential energy than if they were together as a nucleus, which means hat they have more mass based on the energy mass equivalance. But electrons and positions aren't hadrons! What you're describing is the energy mass equivalance that comes from annihilation, but not mass defect. Don't get the two confused.
Original post by aym3n

Original post by aym3n
lol a friend posted this question on yahoo answers and all the people got this ans

lol there is a question in which u have to find the force... the question mentions the diameter but tht diameter is actually the radius... i think its question 1 on page 15 :tongue: not sure though :tongue:

Thanks ALOT! God bless! :h:
Reply 97
Thanks ALOT! God bless! :h:

no problem at all :smile:
Reply 98
Original post by englishman129
i dont get that question either - can you gimme a working of how u got it in end plls?

F=BIlsin30
F=0.2x3x0.04x0.5

This is a very sneaky question, exactly why I hate this exam board. Essentially, the diagram is tricking you. It shows the side PQ is at 30 degrees perpendicular to the field BUT they ask for QS. Now QS is vertically down so is perpendicular to the field regardless how PQ is orientated.

So it's just:

F = Bilsin90
F = 0.2 x 3 x 0.04 x 50
F = 1.2
Looks like the A grade boundary is around 53 ish? Which is I figure kind of low for an A at A-Level??

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending