The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Mum caught me rolling a fag in my room bout 2 years ago, she asked if i wanted a record cover... for a fat spliff..... so laid back, she never smoked but dad did n gave up but hes cool as long as i smoke outside but am at uni now so no worries
Reply 21
Original post by Bellissima
ou have to be 18 to buy cigarettes, you can smoke above 14 i think...

Original post by Anonymous
18 to buy, 16 to smoke.

Original post by Wookie42
Who told you that... :wink:

I just assumed because I don't smoke, and I thought the 'don't buy for minors' law would apply for tobacco as well as alcohol, my bad.
Original post by Sam2424
I just assumed because I don't smoke, and I thought the 'don't buy for minors' law would apply for tobacco as well as alcohol, my bad.

dont worry, it's a stupid law, they should make not smoking 18 too it's weird
I think it's best to tell them. Without meaning to sound too harsh or anything, smoking damages your health, and if you're planning on smoking in the long term your family need to prepare themselves for that.
Reply 24
Original post by Sam2424

It's all right, it doesn't make an awful lot of sense :L I know it's illegal to sell them to under 18s, but I don't think it's illegal for under 18s to buy them..
In all honesty, I don't really know :L

Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
I think it's best to tell them. Without meaning to sound too harsh or anything, smoking damages your health, and if you're planning on smoking in the long term your family need to prepare themselves for that.

Oh, I want to tell them - that's what this whole thread is about. I just don't know how to tell them.
Blurt out, "Oh, guess what, Papi. I smoke."
Sit them down and hint at them for a while and make them figure it out for themselves?
Nonchalantly leave my lighter somewhere and face the Spanish Inquisition?

And I know it's harmful. Every smoker does. My last pack had a picture of a "dead" man on the back.

And I know it's harmful. Every smoker does. My last pack had a picture of a "dead" man on the back.

I know that. I was only saying.

Just sit them down and say that you have something to tell them. They'll automatically start imagining the worst, and then when you tell them you smoke it won't be as bad as most of the things they imagined so they'll be relieved :biggrin:.
Reply 26
OK, this is probably a rather trivial topic, but it still is bothering me..

I smoke, and I have done for just under a year now. I haven't deliberately concealed it from my parents, they have just never seen me do it and have never asked if I do, so I've not told them.
Now, however, I'm beginning to think that I should tell them, just to get a weight off my chest. The thing is, I know they'll be so disappointed - out of my siblings, I'm the "good one who is always well behaved" - and I don't know how to go about telling them.
My dad will be the worst. He said that if he ever finds me smoking, he'll make me chain smoke a 20 pack to put me off. Personally, I wouldn't actually mind doing that - it's just the idea of him being that desperate to stop me that puts me off telling. I can deal with anger, not disappointment.

Cut a long story short - I'm 17, so can legally smoke. Parents have never found out, but want to tell them instead of them finding out from someone else - but how?

Why do you even feel the need to tell them out of guilt at 17 years old?

Mine didnt give a ****.
I revealed that I smoked to my mum by just starting to do it outside the kitchen window when she was in there, and my dad found out when I suddenly lit up at the pub. There's no point in dramatising it.

For the love of God...
Sucks to have **** parents, eh.

I always thought I'd suck as a dad, but going by threads like this and the BBC news I'm pretty ****ing certain I'd be awesome.
Original post by Michael Locke

For the love of God...

No, I'm being serious. I mean, suppose OP keeps it secret in the long term and then (hopefully not, obviously) he gets lung cancer. Imagine how much more of a shock it'd be to his family if they never even knew he smoked.

Unless you don't think that smoking damages your health.. in which case.. :rolleyes:
No, I'm being serious. I mean, suppose OP keeps it secret in the long term and then (hopefully not, obviously) he gets lung cancer. Imagine how much more of a shock it'd be to his family if they never even knew he smoked.

Unless you don't think that smoking damages your health.. in which case.. :rolleyes:

I'm perfectly aware of the fact that smoking damages your health. My dad has COPD and is one step short of his ****ing death bed. If you have a serious disease you have a serious disease, and it doesn't matter how the hell you got it.

I'm taking a flight tomorrow so I suppose I should let my mum know. After all, it'll be less of a shock if I die in a horrific crash.
I'm sure the smell and yellow stains of your teeth will be a giveaway soon enough. Just tell them, they're going to find out eventually. At least you're not taking class A drugs or something.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 32

just to get a weight off my chest.

Yeah because you need to make room in there for all that tar
To whoever (probably OP) gave me neg rep: Oh real mature. It is a fact that however much or little you smoke it lines your lungs with tar. Whether you care is up to you...just saying.

As far as OP tellign his paretns "mum, dad I smoke" seems to be th eonly way to say it.
(edited 12 years ago)
Quit.

What even possessed you (or anyone) to start
Reply 34
I've hidden it from my parents ever since I started aged 14 )(I'm 17) Its just hassle really no point telling them, just extra grief
Reply 35
tbh, try and quit, i know its easier said than done but in the long run you would be doing yourself a favour. Not just for health reasons but think about what that extra money could be spent on..
Reply 36
Original post by gm15
Yeah because you need to make room in there for all that tar
To whoever (probably OP) gave me neg rep: Oh real mature. It is a fact that however much or little you smoke it lines your lungs with tar. Whether you care is up to you...just saying.

As far as OP tellign his paretns "mum, dad I smoke" seems to be th eonly way to say it.

It was me, but I didn't mean to. Have you ever been on TSR on an iPhone? Meant to quote you :L
If you care about it, I'll give you pos rep back when I can..
Of course it's a fact. I was just looking for advice, not remarks on how it's dangerous or how I should quit.
I know I should. But it doesn't mean I want to.

Original post by pappu
I've hidden it from my parents ever since I started aged 14 )(I'm 17) Its just hassle really no point telling them, just extra grief

This is an option. I'll probably not end up telling them, not sure it's worth the hassle any more tbh.
Reply 37
Original post by Kabloomybuzz
Quit.

What even possessed you (or anyone) to start

This exactly. I really don't get why anyone of our generation smoke. I knew before i even started school that smoking was bad, could make you ill and kill you...if a 5 year old can grasp that then why can't teenagers who have been taught the details of exactly how?

Ok I know that by the age of 9/10 i'd seen 2 relatives die due to smoking so it was real for me but still why don't others get it?
Oh and smokers don't neg me for this point as I know you don't agree there's no point destroying my rep to tell
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 38
It was me, but I didn't mean to. Have you ever been on TSR on an iPhone? Meant to quote you :L
If you care about it, I'll give you pos rep back when I can..
Of course it's a fact. I was just looking for advice, not remarks on how it's dangerous or how I should quit.
I know I should. But it doesn't mean I want to.

This is an option. I'll probably not end up telling them, not sure it's worth the hassle any more tbh.

Ah ok at least you didn't mean to. And like I said there's no special way of telling them just say "mum, dad i smoke"
I'm not going to add a lecture on how bad smoking is...there's no point. But to me even thinking of trying it "does not compute" couldn't ever get my brain around it.
Reply 39
Original post by Rational Paradox
Well it depends, people may actually like smoking (me, for instance), and one way or another we are going to end up dead anyway - why not do it if you enjoy it?

I realize that this may not be the case for everyone, but i don't think its quite as straightforward as people trying to look cool and then ending up getting hooked

A) there are things to enjoy that can't make you sick and b) you like it now you've tried it but i don't get why people ever try in the first place. c) yeah we all end up dead anyway but why speed it up

Latest

Trending

Trending