The Student Room Group

Friend has always been more of a one way thing

For background I am autistic and have MH issues due to traumatic events that occured years ago, we are both in our 30's now and known each other 12 years from college.

He has always been eccentric to describe it at least, on paper you would think hes just a user but he actually doesn't understand and has made improvements over the years but I can go on forever if I describe them so will try and be as vague as I can.

He has a not bothered attitude to everything and if you ask him for help he says its too much effort and theres nothing in it for him, he is untidy to point that when visiting he can leave my place a mess i.e empty food containers on the side, and if he gets a curry he will leave the unwashed dishes in my sink for me to clean and say "it's your home, you have to do the cleaning" still thats better than years ago when he would be as bad as spilling food on floor and wanting me to clean it up, leaving piled up food boxes as he invitied himself to stay for a few days (well officially 1/2 but end up as much as 4) He lives 2 miles away now so doesn't do that.

Anyway most recently I fell and broke my leg and I have a puppy, I asked if he can take care of her for the night and he refused saying it was too much effort luckily a neighbour came in, then I asked as he drove can he take my dog to parents which is a 90 minute drive and he did agree and it cost £20 in petrol but he wanted £40 "for his inconvenience" I will add he stayed the night at my parents and they fed him even did his washing.

When I was released at weekend I asked him to vacuum my flat and he did agree and came back to find it hadn't been done and when I asked him to move 2 rugs into my hall he said "its too much effort" I said it was a trip risk and he said "no its not, do it yourself, I can't be bothered"

He promised to do shopping for me, I offered to buy him a takeaway for his efforts and he agreed, I even gave him a 1 week holiday that cost me £400 to him to not waste it as I planned to go today, he turned up at mine today with zero shopping and just asked for the code to get the keys, sat down for 20 minutes moaning about his life and when I mentioned he could of got me some shopping he said "you never asked me, its too late now as I am going on holiday" (for a week)

I asked him at very least to take my bin bag out and a bag of recycling he did do this after me asking a few times.

Over the years I have let him stay at mine for days at a time at one point monthly, a few times over a week, did all the searching for a flat to live (as he had no internet) even made the calls for him, he sends his parcels to my flat as he works so can't be in, even built 2 pcs for him at zero cost to him and far more.

He did drive 1 mile for me when moving flat and 6 journeys but I took him for a meal for the work.

He doesn't care that I am housebound right now and can't even answer the door myself as I need a frame to even stand up yet tells me to do my own shopping and cleaning/take bins out.
Original post by Anonymous #1
For background I am autistic and have MH issues due to traumatic events that occured years ago, we are both in our 30's now and known each other 12 years from college.

He has always been eccentric to describe it at least, on paper you would think hes just a user but he actually doesn't understand and has made improvements over the years but I can go on forever if I describe them so will try and be as vague as I can.

He has a not bothered attitude to everything and if you ask him for help he says its too much effort and theres nothing in it for him, he is untidy to point that when visiting he can leave my place a mess i.e empty food containers on the side, and if he gets a curry he will leave the unwashed dishes in my sink for me to clean and say "it's your home, you have to do the cleaning" still thats better than years ago when he would be as bad as spilling food on floor and wanting me to clean it up, leaving piled up food boxes as he invitied himself to stay for a few days (well officially 1/2 but end up as much as 4) He lives 2 miles away now so doesn't do that.

Anyway most recently I fell and broke my leg and I have a puppy, I asked if he can take care of her for the night and he refused saying it was too much effort luckily a neighbour came in, then I asked as he drove can he take my dog to parents which is a 90 minute drive and he did agree and it cost £20 in petrol but he wanted £40 "for his inconvenience" I will add he stayed the night at my parents and they fed him even did his washing.

When I was released at weekend I asked him to vacuum my flat and he did agree and came back to find it hadn't been done and when I asked him to move 2 rugs into my hall he said "its too much effort" I said it was a trip risk and he said "no its not, do it yourself, I can't be bothered"

He promised to do shopping for me, I offered to buy him a takeaway for his efforts and he agreed, I even gave him a 1 week holiday that cost me £400 to him to not waste it as I planned to go today, he turned up at mine today with zero shopping and just asked for the code to get the keys, sat down for 20 minutes moaning about his life and when I mentioned he could of got me some shopping he said "you never asked me, its too late now as I am going on holiday" (for a week)

I asked him at very least to take my bin bag out and a bag of recycling he did do this after me asking a few times.

Over the years I have let him stay at mine for days at a time at one point monthly, a few times over a week, did all the searching for a flat to live (as he had no internet) even made the calls for him, he sends his parcels to my flat as he works so can't be in, even built 2 pcs for him at zero cost to him and far more.

He did drive 1 mile for me when moving flat and 6 journeys but I took him for a meal for the work.

He doesn't care that I am housebound right now and can't even answer the door myself as I need a frame to even stand up yet tells me to do my own shopping and cleaning/take bins out.

Stop being his friend.
Reply 2
Surprised not more responses anyway he came back from holiday yesterday and was chilled out and actually helped me picked up shopping and my prescription.

But then chatting to him he was telling me how he smoked cannabis every day in the house and I told him he shouldn't do that and he went "well you never said it wasn't allowed, how was I meant to know?"
Original post by Anonymous #1
Surprised not more responses anyway he came back from holiday yesterday and was chilled out and actually helped me picked up shopping and my prescription.

But then chatting to him he was telling me how he smoked cannabis every day in the house and I told him he shouldn't do that and he went "well you never said it wasn't allowed, how was I meant to know?"

I think you seem slightly overruled by this man. He seems to know how to manipulate you. I would cut this off completely and find a healthy situation for yourself as he seems to be using you. Yes he may have been kind for this, but he’s also doing this to manipulate you into doing the things he wants by making you think he’s so kind and sweet.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending